Trying to increase milk supply after PPH

allforthegirl

Mom of 5 boys
Reaction score
Since my PPH we have been trying to get my milk back up to where it was before I lost half my blood volume. I am very worried once my placenta pills are gone it will plummet again. Wondering a good course of action to keep my milk going strong. We are doing well at the moment, but only have a few days left of the pills, so we could be in rouble really fast, as I know that it will take up to 6 month before my iron levels go back to normal. (Yes I am taking iron supplements.)

I am just wondering is there anyone that could help me with this, or have had similar issues, what did you do?

All I can suggest is plenty water, oats and start pumping. If you pump for maybe 5-10 mins on each side after a feed then this will increase your supply. As your lo is quite young and your supply wont have regulated yet I would be causious as you dont want to end up with an oversupply. Maybe just pump every other feed and for now and then you can increase the pumping when you come off the pills if you neeed to.

I had good luck with blessed thistle & fenugreek. Had to take both though - neither seemed to do anything individually. There is a tea that some of the moms in my bfing support group use but I cant remember the name. I'll ask when I see them Wednesday!

Try some lactation cookies :) Both yummy and healthy!!

The recipe I use calls for wheat flour, but I'm sure you can use a different kind. Basically as long as you have the 3 ''milking'' ingredients, you're fine :) Oats, milled flax seed and brewer's yeast, which are gluten free! I got my brewer's yeast from Le naturiste (a health store) but you can also get it online I think.

Here's the recipe I use, but I put half the sugar and some chocolate instead and they're pretty yummy (I eat them for breakfast with my morning latte :)

https://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lactation-cookies-recipe-increasing.html

I use the 1st one.

I too had pph and had supply issues. This is what I did....

Blessed thistle and fenugreek supplements. 3 capsules 3x a day.

Power pumping with hospital grade pump. Rented a strong pump and pumped after baby nursing for 20 minutes, then off pump for 15 minutes, then pump again for 10. You'll feel attached to the pump for a week but it's worth it in the long run.

Domperidone. Prescribed to me by pediatrician. Only took for about 2 weeks.

Mother's milk tea. 2 tea bags per glass, twice a day.

Oatmeal with old fashioned oats, with a tbsp of ground flax seed. Both galactagogs

I took floradix iron and herb supplement. It's liquid and can be purchased at gnc or vitamin shoppe, places like that. It absorbs way better than pills, doesn't cause constipation, etc.my hemoglobin dropped from 12.6 to 7 and was up to 13 at 7 weeks post partum.

I also ate lots of spinach and red meats.

I know all that sounds like a lot....it was...but if you really wanna bf then you'll try anything, haha! I am going on 4 months of breast feeding and even had an over supply issue at 2 months. Best of luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Thank you!! Things seem to be doing well for me so far. I have not yet have had to use the dom, but have it just incase. The only time I feel that I am having troubles with being tired and such from my anemia right now is first thing in the morning, then find I need a nap around supper time. Other than that I am feeling amazing compared to last week!!

Everything you wrote sounds like a lot LOL but I am doing a lot right now anyways. I am not going to pump, my baby is actually more than happy enough to do the work for me. While I was in the hospital he was constantly on the boob. LOL

That sounds great!!! :) I think you'll have no trouble keeping your supply going as long as you keep nursing and resting. I was just throwing out ideas. I was hell bent on exclusively breast feeding so that's why I did all of that. My milk actually didn't come in until 12 days after birth and I wasn't fully sure why so that's why I tried everything. It sucks seeing your newborn dehydrated :( but we're good now and my boy is 95+ percentile from the boob haha!

Oh goodness that would be scary. Did you have to supplement with a lactation aid at all? I'm guessing your milk didn't come because of the retained placenta??

I think it was just the hemorrhage causing the anemia. My body needed to recover before it would produce the milk. I did all the things I listed in that post before...it's hard to say what did The trick exactly. I didn't want to waste time so I just did everything at once lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->