Trying to wean my 2 week old off nipple shield - advice please!

callypygous

Reaction score
Hi ladies, my baby was born at 35 weeks. She was fine breast feeding from the left, but would only feed from the right with a nipple shield. A midwife recommended I use one, but since then a midwife has advised that I ween her off them as it can affect my milk supply. In terms of practicality I'd also like to wean her off.

Yesterday I managed to get her to feed from both sides without the nipple shield. Both times she drained my boobs. However after she seemed pretty puffed out, and later one she was too irritable and frustrated to feed without nipple shields. Today I am letting her use them again and she is much happier and sleeping better.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get her off them, and if there is a good age to do it at, or is it a matter of the sooner the better?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give! Thanks :thumbup:

How old is she now? Have you had any knowledgeable help with latching and positioning? (Not just a rushed midwife who hasn't had much training on bf). Has your baby been checked for tongue tie?

Oh sorry missed the 2 week old bit in your title, so she's still not reached her due date yet?

Do you feel like your supply is suffering due to the shield or is it ok?

Sorry many questions!

She's now 37 weeks, but my milk supply hasn't been effected. I try to express occasionally if my breasts still feel full after a feed but that doesn't happen often. She is gradually eating for longer which seems to help. I can see from the shield that she is taking a lot. For now it doesn't seem to be effecting my milk supply but I want to avoid it happening at all. As she was born early it's a massive priority for me that she breast feeds.

Unfortunately there are no qualified lactation consultants here and I have only been helped by rushed midwives. It encourages me that she has latched on both sides without the nipple shield on at least a couple of occasions.. it's just finding a way to get her to do that consistently!

You are over the big hurdle, she has latched on both sides and fed without. It's just a matter of offering without, if she takes it great. If not, use the shield, but slip it off halfway through. If she fusses, put it back, then try again in a few minutes.

My LO used them for 10 weeks (he was a 33 weeker). Once he was able to latch without, we only had to get them back on a couple of times, but within a few days I had him on without.

Sorry been trying to get back to this but things been hectic here. I agree with misspriss, sounds like things are going in the right direction, and don't feel pressurised to rush into getting rid of the nipple shields too quickly as long as you feel your supply isn't affected. As misspriss said she fed for 10 weeks with them, I fed my first daughter with them for 4 weeks and I got so much grief and criticism it was awful but with hindsight I was doing the right thing, my supply was fine and my daughter was getting bm! I later met other mums who used them for months!

In my case it was because of dd1 having tongue tie and she couldn't latch on at all. Once the tt was separated it took a few days of gradually trying without the shield but she got there in the end.

Your baby is so tiny, not even 40 weeks gestation yet, don't be too worried yet, sounds like things are going really well :)

Hi!
I used nipple shields for 10months with dd1!! I could not get her to latch either side. I was told to try and wean her off by beginning the feed with them then taking them off when the nipple was drawn out. I tried and tried but no luck. My supply was not affected, if anything I had too much, and dd was usually around 80th %ile for weight 99.6th for height! She was finally able to go without after 10months, and fed "normally" until she self weaned.
That being said they are a huge faff and I really didn't want to have to use them this time. Also had huge problems latching dd2 but this time found a lactation consultant who diagnosed posterior tongue tie and we saw a plastics consultant a week ago who snipped it! She said it was a type 4 but was so thick and strong that it was as restrictive as a type 1!
So, what I'm saying is- if you can wean off them, brilliant! And if you can't, maybe get checked for TT (I was told it wasn't there by GP and nurse), and if you decide to just keep going with the shields it's not bad for baby so don't worry :flower: x

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice ladies. I decided to go cold turkey on her on the breast she latched easily, and on the one she struggled with I would try and if she got frustrated used the nipple shield. Once she was v confident with my left side I tried for longer with the right. Within 3 days or so she was working both sides well. After one day she seemed to be doing great on both sides, then lapsed on the second day. However on the 3rd day she was doing great and continued to do so.

Thanks for the support and helping me believe I could do it. When it came down to it in the end it didn't take that long at all. Just took some perseverance and belief that she could do it.

Thank you all so much as it was really stressing me out!

I have encouraged friends to pack nipple shields into their hospital bag. Had I not had one, I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed at all, so am incredibly grateful I had it when I needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->