TTC #1 and have problems swallowing pills

DandJ

First time mom
Reaction score
I've been taking prenatal gummies for about a year, actively started TTC this June and no luck. Went to see my obgyn two weeks ago, got blood work done at 8dpo, etc. She prescribed me a prenatal vitamin that has abundance of iron in it (which I didn't even know prenatal gummies never had iron?! Makes sense with children mistaking them for candy and could overdose) and I've had issues swallowing pills my entire 29 years of life. Hellloooo major gag reflex! So I just didn't bother taking them.

Fast forward to yesterday when they called me with my lab results and says my HCG level was 14.4 (apparently it exceeded 10) at 8dpo but I told her I had my period on time the day before Christmas Eve. She mentions I could have had a chemical pregnancy. Anyways, she mentions my testosterone level was .4 higher than normal and wants me to start Metformin to reduce my testosterone levels. After much research I am excited to jump start this medication and see if it helps me conceive but there's that one major issue: I don't swallow pills.

I've tried in the past for previous medication by putting the pill in applesauce, chopping up the pills, etc but since I know the pill is in there, I freak out and my throat constricts. :dohh:

Any ladies who have a hard time swallowing pills also and how did you cope? Or anyone out there who wants to blatantly tell me to get over it and do it for a baby! :haha:

I understand. I hate shots and will start giving a trigger shot to myself at home starting at the end of the month! We just have to get over it if we want babies!!! It will be worth it :)

Ughhh, I used to be terrified of shots! I was the whole anxiety of the prick, now it's no so bad. Good luck with those shots!

I've tried really hard to overcome my gag reflex.. blah. I am hoping I can do this.

Man, that's a bummer. But you can overcome this!

I will say that pill swallowing problem isn't actually about the gag reflex or inability to swallow, as you likely swallow pieces of food larger than pill size. It's all your anxiety response that you've connected with pills. Pills used to mean yucky medicine, or that you were sick. But now, as an adult, you have to retrain your brain to realize that pills no longer have that negative connotation.

Just some quick advice would be to do a little deep breathing and relax your muscles and throat. Imagine swallowing the pill with ease and comfort and confidence, and imagine the path it will take into your belly and blood stream and all of the helpful things it will do. Imagine how wonderful it will feel and proud you will be when you have the weight of your baby in your arms, because you took the appropriate steps to prepare your body in the best way for the baby. Bring up images that make you feel secure and confident. Then go through the motions of actually taking the pill, just as you imagined. Place the pill on your tongue, take a big drink of water, lean forward, and swallow. (They say leaning forward actually helps most, weird huh?)

If it doesn't work the first time, pay attention to the point in the process in which your anxiety starts to set in and you go into freak out mode. That lets you know which part you still need to work on. If the anxiety starts, help your body and brain to relax, and remind yourself that you CAN swallow a pill. There is nothing wrong with your throat... it is healthy and strong and swallows food, nutrients, and liquids each and every day with ease, just like it will swallow the pill. GOOD LUCK!!!

MissDoc - you are absolutely right, I have extreme anxiety! I will try to focus on happier thoughts when I try it. Thank you so much!

I used to have terrible problems swallowing pills, people would always give me a pill to take and then the water and it took me years to swallow them. Now I take a large swig of water without swallowing then add the pill and swallow. I started off with small stuff and niw large vitamins are no bother. Just thought that might help you, try it with a tiny pill or seed, then when it comes to the pills hopefully you won't panic.

I agree that being calm and thinking positive will really help.
Good luck.

I used to have a major problem swallowing pills up until last year (I'm 29 too!) so I feel your pain. It is not silly at all! Do you know which type of pills it will be? This is my #1 tip: If it is in a capsule (like powdered stuff in a clear capsule) tilt your chin DOWN and the pill will float up to the back of your throat making it easier to swallow. If it is a heavier pill that doesn't float, tilt your chin up when you swallow it (you can try putting it in a cup of water to see which type it is and if it floats). My #2 tip is to swallow it fast. I know its hard, but leaving it in your mouth for even 5 seconds makes it disintegrate a little and it will make you gag more. Mind over matter!!

Here is a useful website with some techniques: https://www.npr.org/blogs/health/20...-pills-try-the-pop-bottle-or-the-lean-forward

SweetB- omg thank you for that link! That helps and hope u can do either of those methods. Glad I'm not the only one who has a severe problem swallowing pills :lol:

NPR just did a story on how to swallow pills if you have difficulty. Look it up online. I can't really remember exactly what they tried.

Otter- Yep, someone already provided the link for NPR!

Also, I found good news!! Metformin comes in a liquid called Riomet! Yiiippieeee!! I can put swallowing pills on hold for longer now :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->