TTC with Metformin

Kblount13

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this so work with me :hi: Almost 4yrs ago I was told I had PCOS. I was recently put on metformin because me and my husband would like to TTC and because I haven't had a period since Feb 14, 2014 and it is now AUGUST! Im just wondering if anyone has ever gotten pregnant with just Metformin (500mg)?? I really growing impatient with trying :cry:

Also I have a Pelvic Ultrasound coming up, has anyone had that done?? Does it hurt?? Will they tell me if I can become pregnan?! Sorry i'm so full of questions...I just want/need answer because waiting and wishing is killing me! Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Hello!

I was put on 500mg of Metformin when we were TTC a while back and whilst I don't think it was responsible in itself for conceiving it really helped with the insulin resistance caused by my PCOS and my periods became far more regular. My longest gap between them before starting Metformin was 112 days and they shortened to around 32 days within a few months. After a few months of taking Met they put me on Clomid and that worked on cycle 2...maybe that'll be your next step!

I had to have several scans and tests whilst on the meds, the internal dye test (hysterosalpingogram) was the worst as the dye causes your tubes to cramp and it felt like a massive needle was being slowly inserted into my very delicate lady parts :growlmad: but they only needed to do that to check that there were no blockages in my tubes preventing the sperm from getting through and now it's been done once it should never have to be done again...phew! Thankfully the internal ultrasounds were nothing really...a little "whoa, at least buy me a drink before sticking the white wand up there!" but over very quickly and I was talked through the results afterwards so i knew what was going on. It's strange how quickly all of the tests and invasiveness of it all fades to a distant memory once you become pregnant. It's all totally worth it!

Good luck!
xXx

I just started taking metformin again after some time off. I actually did just compile my cycle stats - if you click on the link to my blog in my signature it will show you what I worked out. My cycles aren't that wacky off metformin, but they really do shorten when I'm on it.

Pelvic ultrasounds are just fine. Not painful. I didn't even find any of the ones I have had uncomfortable, except for the one I had just before my miscarriage - that sucked.

Hello!

I was put on 500mg of Metformin when we were TTC a while back and whilst I don't think it was responsible in itself for conceiving it really helped with the insulin resistance caused by my PCOS and my periods became far more regular. My longest gap between them before starting Metformin was 112 days and they shortened to around 32 days within a few months. After a few months of taking Met they put me on Clomid and that worked on cycle 2...maybe that'll be your next step!

I had to have several scans and tests whilst on the meds, the internal dye test (hysterosalpingogram) was the worst as the dye causes your tubes to cramp and it felt like a massive needle was being slowly inserted into my very delicate lady parts :growlmad: but they only needed to do that to check that there were no blockages in my tubes preventing the sperm from getting through and now it's been done once it should never have to be done again...phew! Thankfully the internal ultrasounds were nothing really...a little "whoa, at least buy me a drink before sticking the white wand up there!" but over very quickly and I was talked through the results afterwards so i knew what was going on. It's strange how quickly all of the tests and invasiveness of it all fades to a distant memory once you become pregnant. It's all totally worth it!

Good luck!
xXx

How long did it take for your periods to start and become regular?! Its been 6 months now since I've had one :shrug:

I just started taking metformin again after some time off. I actually did just compile my cycle stats - if you click on the link to my blog in my signature it will show you what I worked out. My cycles aren't that wacky off metformin, but they really do shorten when I'm on it.

Pelvic ultrasounds are just fine. Not painful. I didn't even find any of the ones I have had uncomfortable, except for the one I had just before my miscarriage - that sucked.

I'm sorry you had to go through that... How do you track your cycles?

If you click the block in my signature that says "cd5" it will take you to a website called fertility friend, which is absolutely fab for tracking everything from when your period comes to pregnancy symptoms

Hello!

Good luck!
xXx

How long did it take for your periods to start and become regular?! Its been 6 months now since I've had one :shrug:

When i first came off my pill (about 18 months before my PCOS diagnosis) i only had a couple in the first year and same in the second. They did become more regular (but still every few months) and then when i was put on Metformin they went down to roughly every 32 days. It did take a while for the meds to get set up in my system but hopefully you won't be waiting too long in between them now :) If nothing happens after a while and all tests come back fine i'd really recommend Clomid, it pretty much forces your body to ovulate so if you don't get pregnant you should have a period nice and regularly but a bubby shouldn't be too far behind! x

Hello!

Good luck!
xXx

When i first came off my pill (about 18 months before my PCOS diagnosis) i only had a couple in the first year and same in the second. They did become more regular (but still every few months) and then when i was put on Metformin they went down to roughly every 32 days. It did take a while for the meds to get set up in my system but hopefully you won't be waiting too long in between them now :) If nothing happens after a while and all tests come back fine i'd really recommend Clomid, it pretty much forces your body to ovulate so if you don't get pregnant you should have a period nice and regularly but a bubby shouldn't be too far behind! x

Thank you! I was reading up on clomid...seems like everyone that has gotten put on metformin was given clomid but me. I keep doubting this but I'm trying my hardest to keep my head up for positive results for my pelvic ultrasound sept. 9!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->