Tubes tied or the snip...

aly888

Lana-Boo's mummy & WTT #2
Reaction score
With all this talk of contraception whilst wtt, I was wondering where you girls stood on having your tubes tied or your partner getting the snip (obviously once you feel baby making is complete)?

I personally dont think I could get my tubes tied, and I wouldnt expect my OH to get the snip, so I guess i'll be carrying on with the pill or something :shrug:

A guy I work with had the snip after having three kids with his wife. He then got involved with someone else who didnt have children and desperately wanted them, but he couldnt provide them for her other than to go through a £2k operation to reverse it (wich was booked and ready to go but he backed out at the last minute). In the end I think it was one of the main reasons towards the demise of their relationship!!
My boss was also meant to go for the snip but the docs wouldnt do it as he was still under 30 :shrug:

So yeah, what are your plans, if you have thought that far ahead!! :flower:

ETA - as you can tell, everyone knows everything about everyone at my work place :rofl:

I am with you there... Its not something I could have done & I would never expect my OH to have the snip!

I think when I have had my 1st I will be getting the non hormonal coil or carry on with persona (depending on how well it suits me). I deffo know that I never want the pill or hormonal contraception again though. I can tell you that much. Lol.

xxx

well, i did speak to OH about this a while ago, as i don't want to stay on the pill after 35 as it increases your risk of breast cancer significantly after that age, he understands and we have agreed that once we have finished having children he will get the snip, although i would never force him if he changes his mind.

he dosen't feel it is fair to expect me to have to take the pill for over a decade, then have his children, and then have to undergo surgery under GA, when he could just go and get the snip in a 20 min procedure with local.

I have the same thoughts, couldn't have my tubes tied and wouldn't want OH to have the snip...I think it'd be something like the mirena coil for me :shrug:

xxx

for us, i no both us agree on the snip, though only once we have 3 children :lol: just for the simple fact that its a much smaller operation.

Right now I can't imagine having something that final done (to either of us). But that might well change once our family feels complete and we're over a certain age. I don't think I'd want to make a final decision before we're definitely too old (in our own eyes) to have any more. Otherwise I'd be too worried that we might think we're done having kids and then change our minds a few years later.

Spoke to my husband about this ages ago, he would never get the snip, but I would think about getting my tubes tied after 3 children, my mum did :)

My issue with getting something as 'final' as that is that how do you know when you are definately 'done' having children!? :shrug: i'd be worried that one of us would go through it then a few years later decide that it would be nice to have a baby again, you know?

Or, worst case scenario, we end up in the position that my work colleague was where he had the snip coz him and his wife were 'done', but his new partner wanted children. He didnt want more children (hence backing out) but wanted to be able to give her children (hence making the appointment in the first place) so it must be awful going through that :shrug:

I agree with not wanting to be on hormonal BC though. I guess I will have to take the plunge with the coil :lol:

Pass ... i've no idea :lol: i dont think i like something as "final" as that either

My dad however has had the snip after having 7 children and he's only 41 ... 3 were accidents despite using contraception, so i can understand why he did that and i think he did the right thing.

I got pregnant with a third baby at 38. We were done having children after my second, so I thought. I searched about tubal litigation and many stories I read were that periods were more frequent, etc. I asked my gynecologist and she said that she's never heard of that.

Hubby said he'd get the snip. 4 days prior to my planned C-section we went to see a doctor about hubby having it done. The doctor was horrid and him and I just didn't get along. So I made the decision that since I was having a C-section anyway, I would have my tubes tied. I was 39 when I had my third child.

Well, since then, I've had my period twice a month and am now 41. It's been a hell 20 months with that. I fall into those stories I read now. :dohh:

My advice, do wait until you are absolutely sure that you don't want anymore children. And, secondly, have your husband get the snip. If you end up like me with frequent periods like this, his sex life will lack. LOL

My OH always says he is having the snip. I would rather he wait a few years but he is adament he only wants two children. There has never been any question of me having something permenent done. I think its much more of an operation isnt it than a man being snipped?

yeah, for a woman to have her tubes tied is a far more intrusive procedure!! That is definately out of the question now though after reading Leanne's experience with it :wacko:

Everyone tried to talk my boss out of going for the snip after his second. He is adament he only wants his two girls and doesnt want to go through all the sleepless nights etc again, but everyone reckons as they get older he will want more. Lucky that the doc wouldnt do it I guess :shrug:

i've not even discussed it with OH...maybe I should bring it up. I can just imagine his reaction though :haha:

Neither me or my OH would want to be operated on, although we both know it's easier and safer for men to have the snip, it's a simple operation compared to sterilization.

I hate thinking of anything that's that final :| I definitely wouldn't want to go through such an invasive procedure and I wouldn't expect OH to have anything done to him either. I'd hate to think after one of us having something like that done that we'd change our minds and want another baby..

i'm not sure, i like to think that we'll be together forever and once i'm certain i'm done having kids i would want him to get it. but then if something did happen to me and he found a new partner i'd want him to be able to have kids.
its a tough decision because it's not nice pumping hormones into your body ie contraceptives but the snip is so final! if there were reliable male contraceptives i'd make him take them for a change :rofl:

I wouldn't trust my OH to remember taking them lol he's awful

Lol,i wouldnt trust my OH to take them either. I dont even trust myself half the time :dohh:

We've talked about this only jokingly really. DH doesn't really like the idea of the snip but I definitely wouldn't want to be on hormonal BC forever and getting your tubes tied is a more significant procedure. I suppose it's just something we'll talk more seriously about when we feel 'done' - it's hard to imagine just yet because we haven't even started!! lol!!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->