Tummy Time

laughingduck

Mother of one daughter
Reaction score
My 10 week old hates tummy time and to be honest I don't make him do it as much as I should (maybe a couple sessions a day that only last a minute or two tops before he is crying). I am a bit worried though as he can hardly lift his head up, and when he does it is always to one side. I know I should be doing more to encourage muscle growth and was wondering if anyone else had a stubborn baby, and how did they encourage tummy time? Also, should I be worried he can hardly lift his head at this age?

My son hated tummy time he would scream blue murder if I lay him down on his tummy so I kept trying but didn't force it - he accepted it more about 3 months old but even then didn't overly enjoy it

My daughter also hated tummy time (she could however lift her head from day 1 even the Dr said how strong she was) but she was crawling at 4/5months and has been walking consistently since 10 months

Try not to worry too much just keep trying and as he gets older he may accept it more :hugs:

I laid Gracie on her tummy on my tummy when I was lying down and then spoke to her and she turned her head round to face me. We never did proper tummy time as we have a dog and I was scared he would bump her (which he never did and was completely irrational as he doesn't go near her!)

Emma hates tummy time and she's terrible at lifting her head up. My son was doing mini push-ups by this age (she is 12 weeks and 1 day old) and rolling around by 13 weeks. Even Sophie could hold her head and upper body off the ground and she was shorter and heavier than Emma.

Not sure how to encourage it as all she does is bury her face in the floor and panic and scream.

My LO is only 10 weeks and likes to be on his tummy, so I don't have first-hand experience to back this up, but nevertheless I'm skeptical of the idea that we need to do all these special things to make our babies grow right, you know? Assuming there's no known developmental problem that needs to be specifically corrected, I feel like babies probably evolved to grow their muscles just fine without being put in special positions or whatnot. I think the idea of needing to 'encourage muscle growth' as you mentioned is such a weird idea that we have as a society. Babies have been growing for a loooong long time and they are perfectly designed to do it, in my view. *Shrug*

I can definitely understand your worry but I think he's probably just fine and doing things his own way!

Time in a wrap or lying on your chest counts too, so try doing more of that (it's nice too). Mine spent pretty much all her time when she wasn't feeding in a wrap or on me, but we rarely did any 'tummy time' like on a mat on the floor before about 3 months. Even after a change, if you can roll him over for 30 seconds on the changing mat, that's great too. It doesn't have to be long stretches of time, little and often is great, and a few minutes a few times a day is excellent.

Laying across your legs on their tummy or on your chest is considered tummy time too. I sometimes lay my lo on the boppy pillow legs in the circle chest arms on the pillow.

I did not realize that time in the wrap counted as tummy time!
I just tried some suggestions and lying him across my legs on my lap worked for him. Thank you for that suggestion! I had tried the chest thing before but he hated that too.
I kind of agree that it's probably not as important as some people think, but at the same time so many people have drilled into my head that I feel guilty not doing it! Lol.

My two never liked tummy time. I think its because they suffered with reflux and it made them uncomfortable so I never really did it. They both had strong necks from birth though. DS could actually support his own head and turn it on his own at just a week old. He did spend loads of time in a wrap.

I think tummy time became more of a thing when parents would put babies in carseats and swings during the day a lot and babies need time off their backs. With our first I stressed about tummy time even though he hated it but I didn't worry about it as much with our last two. They all have developed on track... I did put them in carriers a lot though and laying them on your tummy is great too :)

I think tummy time became more of a thing when parents would put babies in carseats and swings during the day a lot and babies need time off their backs. With our first I stressed about tummy time even though he hated it but I didn't worry about it as much with our last two. They all have developed on track... I did put them in carriers a lot though and laying them on your tummy is great too :)

I agree.

My first hated it so I just had to give up on it in the end as it was causing her so much trauma the state she got into.
My second wasn't too keen on it but was constantly in a wrap if that helps. When he could roll over by himself he was happier being on his tummy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->