Tummy Time

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
Okay some places, I read do this from birth. Other places it says 8 weeks. So I'm after trying her a few times for a short period. She doesn't do anything. She doesn't even attempt to move or lift her head. If we lie down and she's on our chest or tummy, she'll lift her head straight up and look around everywhere. But on the floor, no go! Did anyone else's LO have no interest in doing anything on their tummy? Is it just too early?

My LO hates tummy time :( After a minute of sooking she'll start crying...

I think you are supposed to do it early on. I bought one of those little cloth surf boards with a pillow for her arms and head and she is ok at it.

https://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/cannibalwendy2/babe5.jpg

I would try one of these (I bought mine at Toys R Us, I'm sure Walmart would have them too) or just put a normal pillow under her a bit and she start to like it and lift her head. I also find it helps if you get down on the floor and talk to her (you are probably already doing that though)

I heard they aren't good as they mean the babies arms don't lift them up and get stronger

Yes tummy time should be started at birth, it helps develope the spine and neck, plus it helps with gas and colic. Even if they cry when its done, short periods are better then not doing it.

I started from birth, but she didn't like it, so I stopped for a while. But I wish I wouldn't have because she got flat head syndrome. So I would start early

https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v274/85/56/513103437/n513103437_1089635_2854.jpg

Plus it helps prevent them from getting a flat spot like Addison has..... :(

Jordyn hates tummy time. Shes just learned how to roll onto her belly, and she loves to roll.. but once shes there for a few minutes she freaks... cause she cant roll back over yet. Shes also thrown up everytime she ever spends time on her belly...since she born.

I was told to do it from birth, which I believe is true, theres no reason to wait until 8 weeks, just dont leave them unattended in the very very rare case that they get stuck face down and cant breath.

I was told to do it 6 times a day for a couple of minutes, the easiest way for me is after a nappy change, just on the change table, Jasper is 4 weeks old and has started to learn to roll over and he can crawl on his tummy about 10 cms and I do put some of that to having had LOTS of tummy time from day one.

Theres also nothing wrong with having tummy time on your chest, its getting the job done, she's excersing her arms and neck and shoulders and it also does stop them from getting a flat head.

One thing that works for us, is when I put Jasper on his tummy on the couch and I sit on the floor and so when he lifts his head up, we're able to make eye contact and have a 'chat', he seems to like it.

... also... I find Jasper is more willing to have tummy time if he's been fed, because he's happy, but, it does mean he pretty much always throws up... but thats okay, he doesn't seem to mind, I just have to have a towel handy!

I was told to do it from birth, which I believe is true, theres no reason to wait until 8 weeks, just dont leave them unattended in the very very rare case that they get stuck face down and cant breath.

I was told to do it 6 times a day for a couple of minutes, the easiest way for me is after a nappy change, just on the change table, Jasper is 4 weeks old and has started to learn to roll over and he can crawl on his tummy about 10 cms and I do put some of that to having had LOTS of tummy time from day one.

Theres also nothing wrong with having tummy time on your chest, its getting the job done, she's excersing her arms and neck and shoulders and it also does stop them from getting a flat head.

One thing that works for us, is when I put Jasper on his tummy on the couch and I sit on the floor and so when he lifts his head up, we're able to make eye contact and have a 'chat', he seems to like it.

... also... I find Jasper is more willing to have tummy time if he's been fed, because he's happy, but, it does mean he pretty much always throws up... but thats okay, he doesn't seem to mind, I just have to have a towel handy!

I'm going to try this tomorrow and see how it goes! Sounds like a good idea to me!

Josh hated tummy time until I got him one of those tummy mats and a mirror. I would highly recommend you to put her on her tummy as much as possible because babies that are always on their back develop the flat head syndrome and it can also affect their motor skills development.

xxx

I think you are supposed to do it early on. I bought one of those little cloth surf boards with a pillow for her arms and head and she is ok at it.

https://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/cannibalwendy2/babe5.jpg

I would try one of these (I bought mine at Toys R Us, I'm sure Walmart would have them too) or just put a normal pillow under her a bit and she start to like it and lift her head. I also find it helps if you get down on the floor and talk to her (you are probably already doing that though)

Your daughter is adorable.... her picture made me smile instantly. super cuuuuuttteee outifit :)

Jacob loves tummy time I always put him on his tummy though that is also how he sleeps. He has just started doing push ups lifts his whole head and chest right up! and he lifts his legs up and swings his hips like he is trying to roll over! x

After reading about tummy time on here we put Byron on his tum after his bath last night. He did a buttock rippling fart, very gratifying as he's got colic at the moment! He was quite happy there for a while. We have him on his tum on us quite a lot. I've not been told anything about this before reading it on BnB!

Oh I didn't know the mat could be bad! She can do it without the pillow too, I just find it helps her not face plant into her spit up LOL.

we have done tummy time from birth and maddi wasn't that keen on it, but after doing everyday and having a tummy time mat she really likes it now, i would just give it a go everyday and if she gets upset, pick her up. i also put her across me to help with the tummy time develop :) x

Josh hated tummy time until I got him one of those tummy mats and a mirror. I would highly recommend you to put her on her tummy as much as possible because babies that are always on their back develop the flat head syndrome and it can also affect their motor skills development.

xxx

I started Lola from birth,she also has a tummy mat with a mirrir and she loves it,keeps her entetained and she now lifts on her hands and tries to grab the mirrir reflection of herself :lol:

3 babies in their avs have the same outfit on in this thread :rofl:

I put Savannah on the couch on her tummy last night and she was there longer than she has ever done tummy time:happydance: I just got down an talked to her an she didn't cry for a few mins. Great idea to whoever it was who said that (sorry can't remember who it was)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->