TW's - how long did you spoonfeed your baby /toddler for?

fluffpuffin

Reaction score
Obviously I give her finger foods as well, but she still quite enjoys being spoonfed by me, especially wen she's tired. maybe because she's getting more food that way. I was wondering by what age should you stop spoonfeeding them and encourage them to use the spoon themselves? I'm a bit scared of the mess tbh.

My ds still sometimes asks mr to feed him. If he is tired I do help him. He's thirty months. It's not an issue for us as one day he just won't want help any more.

Ihsan started using a spoon around 10months when he made it clear he wanted to do it himself (refused to let me feed & grabbing spoon!), he would have 1 spoon and I would have another one helping to ensure at least some of it was going in his mouth! It took about 2months before I just let him get on with it himself and I'm not going to say it wasn't messy!! :)

Still do sometimes. My LO is 16 months and I usually let her eat yoghurts and puddings by herself whilst she builds up her confidence at eating! She is defiinitely starting to get better at it and yesterday ate a full yoghurt on her own with no help from Mummy!!

We spoon fed up until about 13.5 months.
Right around a year old, I ended up breaking my leg and needing emergency surgery.
As a result, OH was preparing all LO's food, and tbh, I was quite worried about LO's nutrition, so we ended up going to jarred food for a month and a half. Now that I'm able to make LOs food and supervise his feeding again, he's back to finger foods, with the occasional yogurt, etc. I'm teaching him to use his own spoon now, although he doesn't seem to be bothered to try, so I usually end up spoon feeding almost the whole yogurt to him.

Ben try's very hard to spoon feed himself but it doesn't really work, most of it ends up over his face!
I try giving him a preloaded spoon whilst I spoon in most of what ever he is eating.

Issy can spoon feed herself quite happily but if she's tired she'll wave the spoon at me until I feed her :haha:

Anna is 16.5 months and is still spoonfed.

If its a thick yoghurt then I give her the loaded spoon and she hands it back to be re-loaded.:flower:

I was wondering about that! I've been thinking of trying let Katerina do it herself but can you imagine the mess? :haha:

With us it's a mixture of him 'having a go' and him getting bored/frustrated with it and then handing me the spoon. He enjoys dipping too which is good lol. I gave him cutlery from age 1(ish) and he can do most things himself.....just a question of whether he can be bothered lol :haha:

Around 9 months megan wouldnt let me spoon feed her except for the occasional yogurt. She just used her hands though - not a spoon.

She just started using a spoon herself recently & that is way messier than just using her hands! She hates when I try to help her unless she is very distracted. If we are in a restaurant & I'm trying to help spoon feed her applesauce or something so its less messy - well then she throws a huge fit!

thanks for this post as I was thinking of posting a similar thread. It's good reassurance to know that others are at the same stage as us. Harry can feed himself with a pre-loaded spoon and is starting to do it himself with yoghurts etc.

Thanks all. It's great to hear your experiences. Isla feeds herself quite well with finger foods, it's just things like yoghurts and cereals that I was unsure about. So I might start offering her a spoon soon. When I tried before she just chucked it on the floor, dipped her hands in the joghurt and covered herself in it. :dohh:

We spoon feed and probably will a while longer until shes ready.
She eats fingers foods fine, but if I give her a pre loaded spoon it just goes everywhere and she doesnt get much in her mouth- if anything!
Will try again in another month or so and see how shes going, I like to feed her as then I know how much shes eating but obviously I want her to learn on her own too.. she takes ages every breakfast lunch and dinner! lol xx

Around 13 months he started wanting to take over and use the spoon himself. He can feed himself pretty well :D I do still spoonfeed him quite often though if he's tired or just in a funny mood and doesn't want to do it.
It is messy but it makes you so proud watching them do it and it only really takes a few mins to clear up :p I was scared of the mess too x

We still do half and half.. she self feeds half and spoon feed her the other half

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->