Type 1 Diabetic -Insulin pumper ttc

LeapYear

Reaction score
I am a type 1 Diabetic using the insulin pump. I just wanted to see if there were any success stories or advice for those that have been where I am now. My husband and I aren't trying very hard as far as charting but we aren't preventing either. I'm trying to keep my levels right because I know how important that is. I'm 26 and this would be our first child.

I had my son on insulin injections and am now on the pump. Plan ttc in February depending on hba1c. let me know how it all goes.

Ooh, can I join in too?

5 years on a pump, had my first in 2013 and now TTC #2.

The main advice that we had was to take the higher dose of folic acid 3mths prior to conception (we were watched very closely in a pre-pregnancy clinic before getting the green light, as it were) and to keep pre-meal bgs close to 5 and 1hr post meal bgs to below 7.

We've managed to get away without 3 mths of appointments this time, but they know where mine and DH's intentions are.

I'm having my hba1c done this week, fingers crossed it's good!

Our clinic were very good with giving us all the pre-conception advice and talking us through likely issues (before I was all hormoned up) I would definitely recommend contacting your DSN if wanting to go for it, I don't think that my DS would be here without my team.

Just discovered we are expecting. Hba1c bit high 7.7 but same as it was when conceived our first. on pump now have been since October. really want to swap back to injections just feel more confident .

Congrats Shellshocked!

7.7 isn't so bad, I've heard people with way worse hba1cs having healthy pregnancies. How are you getting on with all the early symptoms? Has morning sickness kicked in yet?

Wishing you a happy and healthy 9mths! :thumbup:

No morning sickness, hopefully I won't suffer from it (I didn't with my son) hospital were really supportive of course they want hba1c of 6 and they've put me on metformin- I had massive insulin resistance with my son I was on over 250 units a day which would not really be manageable on a pump they're reckoning this way I can stay in the omnipod as I will need less (all its done so far is give me terrible diaorreah.....we shall see)

250 units a day? Wow, that's impressive! My animas pump will take up to 190 units on board at a time, so not quite a day's worth for you, I hope the Metformin helps and that the diarrhoea sorts itself out. I was the complete opposite (as far as BGs go) and very insulin sensitive/a complete floor hugger! lol.

This time, things seem to be going a lot smoother, I think I may have avoided the HG that DS brought with him!

I'm also a lot calmer about the whole situation, though I am hoping that they'll let me go for a VBAC rather than ECS (the doctors are in agreement at the moment, though that was a fairly young dr that agreed with me, rather than the lead consultant), but its no big deal either way, though it'd be a lot easier on my son if I can pick him up as well as the new baby. I worry that he'll feel left out, when tbh he's the centre of my world.

In any case, I'll not go past 38 weeks, which puts my actual due date around the beginning of October, I'm so excited!

Hey everyone. :flower:

Hope you don't mind be jumping in . I'm also a type 1 diabetic , it's lovely to meet other mummy's to be or already mummy's who have got diabetes and going through the same journey .
I'm 23 years old and having my first baby , my hba1c when I feel pregnant was 6.5% I'm now 31 weeks pregnant and my hba1c is 4.6% .
Overall my bms are in target but obviously have the ones that go out of target , pregnancy has been really good to me and carried really well I fount diabetes to of been the biggest hurdle as your controlling it for another little life . I'm ready for the end now and to meet our baby boy were both so excited to meet him :happydance:

Would love to keep in contact with you all throughout the rest of the journey , good luck to everyone. Take care. :flower:

Wow DueinMay2015, that's a great hbA1c!

I gotta agree with you, the absolute worst part of being diabetic and pregnant is the worry when you get a spike in your bg, constantly worrying whether it will damage the little one growing inside you, it's definitely all worth it in the end though! I was watching Call the Midwife recently and there was a diabetic mother who had to abort the baby on medical advice, I'm so glad that I live in a time where things aren't so doom and gloom for diabetic mums and that we actually have a choice. Being pregnant at the time, it really sparked the waterworks and it took me a good day and a half to get over it. :cry:

I'm glad that pregnancy has treated you well, just think, you'll be holding your little boy soon!!! Have your team talked to you about after the birth? That was the worst time for me bg wise and it's definitely worth having extra food brought in (not that I could ever stomach good old nhs food anyway!)

I hope that everything goes well and that you manage to get some rest before little man arrives! :flower:

WowAmazing hba1c 4.6 dueinmay that is so low it's normal!! My average with my son was 6.1 ranged from 6.8-5.8 after I'd had my initial reading of 7.9. It. Wasn't so bad and pregnancy was uneventful. Good luck not long now :hugs::hugs:

Diabetic mommy : Thankyou lol I shocked myself with that result I asked them to double check lol I'm so glad I didn't see that I would of been the same as you lol :cry: I had my 32 weeks growth scan on Wednesday and his measuring perfectly right down the middle of all the charts I'm so happy he is doing well , and also got told he is head down , saw the diabetes team after my scan and they are very pleased with how I'm getting on they don't want to see me again Untill after my 36 weeks growth scan , they said I should be given an induction date then but as there so happy they will have to see what happens to wether they let me go a little bit further and see me weekly and then make a decision , so is a waiting game now really , but so happy how things are going so far . No nothing's been mentioned about after the birth at the moment . Sounds like the whole lot of it is a tricky process from start to finish and more lol i read from a previous post that you were waiting on your hba1c result did you get it back ? :flower:

Shell shocked : thank you :blush: you also sound as if you had done fab in your last pregnancy with hba1c am I right in reading you are pregnant now too ? Congratulations , hope all is going well for you how are things going ? :flower:

Diabetic mommy : Thankyou lol I shocked myself with that result I asked them to double check lol I'm so glad I didn't see that I would of been the same as you lol :cry: I had my 32 weeks growth scan on Wednesday and his measuring perfectly right down the middle of all the charts I'm so happy he is doing well , and also got told he is head down , saw the diabetes team after my scan and they are very pleased with how I'm getting on they don't want to see me again Untill after my 36 weeks growth scan , they said I should be given an induction date then but as there so happy they will have to see what happens to wether they let me go a little bit further and see me weekly and then make a decision , so is a waiting game now really , but so happy how things are going so far . No nothing's been mentioned about after the birth at the moment . Sounds like the whole lot of it is a tricky process from start to finish and more lol i read from a previous post that you were waiting on your hba1c result did you get it back ? :flower:

Shell shocked : thank you :blush: you also sound as if you had done fab in your last pregnancy with hba1c am I right in reading you are pregnant now too ? Congratulations , hope all is going well for you how are things going ? :flower:

Sounds like everything is going really well for you and that baby is growing well. 36 weeks will be here before you know it! After the birth can be a bit of a roller coaster bg wise, so it's wise to talk to your team and have a written plan in place before labour, just in case you need the midwives to put things into place for you, but you've got loads of time yet.

In all honesty, it's not taking a lot for me to cry at the minute, a tv ad, a cute baby or my little boy all have me welling up at the drop of a hat!

I have got my latest hba1c, was 51, which is 6.8 in old money, so not too bad. I have the 12 week scan next week, I'm so excited to see bub!

I hope that you're all keeping well!

I'm so sorry I read on your previous posts on the thread and just read trying to conceive I didn't realise you was pregnant now :dohh:!! That's so exciting big congratulations :happydance: you will have to let me know how your 12 weeks scan goes next week and how you got on .

I hope 36 weeks is here before we know it lol , very ready to meet our little baby now , that's brilliant advice I'll be sure to bring all of this up at my next appointment so I can be a bit more prepared for whats going to happen afterwards , Thankyou .

Oh no lol atleast you can just say your hormonal and get away with it all lol !! How's your pregnancy going so far ?

Your hba1c is fab sounds like your doing really well too :flower:

Hello everyone. well done on the hba1cs. I hope you are all well, sounds like you are all ticking along nicely. I just wanted to ask. When I was pregnant with my son I had a viability scan at 6 weeks. did you guys all have viability scans and if so at what point? This time round they are saying 10-11 weeks. Isn't that a bit late for a viability scan? I might as well just go for the normal 12 week scan. They are still seeing me fortnightly though. It's all a bit strange! Had hba1c couple of weeks ago which translated at 7.2 so wasn't as high as I'd thought at conception onwards we go. x

Hey shellshocked .

I see what you mean there as it being pretty close to the 12 week scan .
I had one booked in at 8 weeks and was 7+5 days pregnant , so not as early as the 6 weeks you had for your first , is strange how everyone is given different weeks .
Well done with lowering your hba1c. :flower:

I'm so sorry I read on your previous posts on the thread and just read trying to conceive I didn't realise you was pregnant now :dohh:!! That's so exciting big congratulations :happydance: you will have to let me know how your 12 weeks scan goes next week and how you got on .

I hope 36 weeks is here before we know it lol , very ready to meet our little baby now , that's brilliant advice I'll be sure to bring all of this up at my next appointment so I can be a bit more prepared for whats going to happen afterwards , Thankyou .

Oh no lol atleast you can just say your hormonal and get away with it all lol !! How's your pregnancy going so far ?

Your hba1c is fab sounds like your doing really well too :flower:

Hi DueInMay, yeah, we caught our bean on our first month, so we're very lucky. Unfortunately I've started bleeding this weekend, midwives have booked me in for the early pregnancy assessment unit on Monday to see what's going on, but I'm quite worried that it's the start of a miscarriage. :cry:
This pregnancy, I had been saying was easier as I had HG with DS and not this time around, so now I'm worried that that was an early sign of what we're going through now. Though I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts after a lot of pain in week 6 (hopefully, this also explains the bleeding and everything is ok with our little bean)

We'll just have to wait and see.

The next few weeks will fly by, enjoy the chance to sit down in the evening and make the most of the quiet time with OH, where you can spend all night cuddling or whatever you want. You'll sort of miss it when it's gone, though it will be filled with something much cuter than OH (that might just be me, though I doubt it! Lol)

Every extra day they get will make a huge difference to them. DS was born at 36 weeks by the dating scan (35 by LMP) and I don't think he was quite ready to be born, he needed a lot of encouragement to suckle, though his lungs were in fine working order! Though by 36 weeks, I was definitely ready to meet him, though I did feel a bit guilty when I saw him in NICU, not that the obs weren't in agreement that the time was right. It's all such a fine balance, welcome to the world of parenthood and the forever compelling need to second guess yourself EVERY time there's a big decision to be made! It's fun, you'll love it! Hahaha!!!

Hello everyone. well done on the hba1cs. I hope you are all well, sounds like you are all ticking along nicely. I just wanted to ask. When I was pregnant with my son I had a viability scan at 6 weeks. did you guys all have viability scans and if so at what point? This time round they are saying 10-11 weeks. Isn't that a bit late for a viability scan? I might as well just go for the normal 12 week scan. They are still seeing me fortnightly though. It's all a bit strange! Had hba1c couple of weeks ago which translated at 7.2 so wasn't as high as I'd thought at conception onwards we go. x

I was never offered a viability scan, though it doesn't make sense to me to have it so close to the 12 week scan, Even Though I will be having one very close to the 12 week scan, if I get that far, though that is for a very different reason.

7.2 is a good starting hba1c, hope you have a smooth 9months! :flower:

Thanks ladies. diabeticmommy fingers crossed all goes well you. Thinking of you. Big hugs x

Hey diabeticmommy .
Will be thinking of you today and have my fingers crossed for you , can't even imagine how your feeling right now , I really hope all goes well .

We felt the exact same very lucky we also fell pregnant our first month of trying .
That did make me giggle finding baby cuter than oh I guess I'll soon find that one out :haha: It is strange at the moment you saying about cuddles you try and have a cuddle but got this massive gap between you both were baby bump needs to be lol .

Sounds as if you went through a lot with your first baby , but it also sounds like he done really well considering the circumstances . It really is worrying isn't it from the word go as soon as you get that positive result the worry kicks in and it sounds like it doesn't stop from now on either .
Yes I'm sure will be lots of fun :haha:

Hope you got on ok.

:flower::flower::flower:

Shell shocked : Good luck for your scan very exciting :flower:

Thanks ladies, it turns out that our little bean likes a bit of the old drama! Saw the screen at our scan today and it wouldn't sit still, there was no need to check the heartbeat because it was so active in there! Phew!

I feel like a weight has been lifted, they don't know what's caused all my symptoms or what might happen in the future, but atm, everything is good, which is about as good as it can be.

Dueinmay, I don't know about you, but I used to find myself staring at DS when he was asleep, watching his chest rise and fall and his cute little angelic face. I looked over to DH last night (couldn't sleep) and the sight didn't melt my heart, in quite the same way! Lol!

You could always try a sideways cuddle? Sitting in the sofa, leaning against OH? Or spooning can be nice, especially if he can feel baby kicking. Or just having bump there in between you, as a gentle reminder of your achievement? :flower:

It is constant worry, but it's a lot better when you can see them to put your mind at rest and have a cuddle! DS did put us through a lot, but at the end of the day, I'm back here doing it all again, so he's definitely worth it. Either that or we're absolutely crazy...

I hope everyone else is doing well! :flower:

Diabeticmommy :

I'm so happy for you , what wonderful news couldn't stop smiling reading that I'm so happy that it all went well , wow your tiny baby does sound a wriggler to what you saw , must of been amazing for you to see that and yes what a massive relief . :happydance: Must be strange for you wondering why you had what you had as they couldn't see why , but is such a plus that it's all ok .

Haha that's brilliant that is :haha: This is our first baby so have nothing to compare too at the moment but I'm sure I'll be back agreeing with you when I can lol .

Oo yeah loads of different ideas there , spooning is definitely the one working at the moment , and I know what you mean he loves feeling baby and luckily he has felt him move a lot , his face just lights up when he feels him .

Must defiantly be worth it like you said to be starting it all over again , I'm really looking forward to seeing him now and stop worrying what the bms are doing to baby and just for myself again lol . 33 weeks now and I'm so counting. :happydance:

how are your bms going so far ?

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"