• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UK building DNA database in the NHS 'by stealth'

babies7777

Momma and ttc
Reaction score
My dh sent me this and was really annoyed about it. On first glance i wasnt too bothered but then thought actually it reminded me of a creepy movie called Gattica, where the film took the idea of dna profiling to the extreme and it determined your whole existence, job opportunities, who you could marry etc, now im taking it to a whole other level but does this bother you if it were to happen?

https://www.publicserviceeurope.com/article/3501/uk-building-dna-database-in-the-nhs-by-stealth

This kind of thing worries me.

My daughter has had genetic testing and therefore her DNA information is already part of her medical file. The thought that as her condition is so rare her DNA would be considered quite interesting to the kind of companies its talking about is worrying. And as her condition is rare her anonymity could easily be broken. A very simple deduction of DNA, medical condition and vague location details would be enough. There are only three others with her condition in a 500 mile radius of us. So not rocket science to find out.

Not fussed at all. I'd happily be on a UK DNA database.

I do remember something similar to this happening before with the police and they have been told to destroy DNA records. It's not that they were "building a database by stealth" just that over a period of time a large number of samples had been catalogued due to their systems. I can see how that can happen.

I don't like the idea of it. FOB was very into conspiracy theories and things and he made me question stuff like this!! I have nothing to hide but I don't like the whole 'big brother' mentality of it. I refuse to register my Oyster card because I hate the idea I can be tracked via it!! Silly I know but I don't want my DNA being on file anywhere, who knows who us corrupt out there!

Yeah, but on the flip side, if I were found dead and mutilated in a ditch, I'd want for my body to be identified super quick so my family could find some peace.

I see what you mean but I think they have enough ways of working out who people are without needing my DNA, I'd rather risk it taking them a week or 2 than someone using my DNA in a way I'm not happy with. Damn FOB for making me cynical of everything!!!

It's a trade off for sure. I'm just thinking of a woman found in Edinburgh and it took them months (and a fortune in police resources) to identify her.

As I understand it, having your DNA used against you wrongly is incredibly rare.

I agree with Foo, it honestly doesn't bother me too much.

xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->