UK folk! Help us get our Fairytale Wedding!

laurac1988

Mummy to Eden
Reaction score
Afternoon people!

As some of you know my partner and I are a gay couple. We are currently in a civil partnership and were looking forward to converting to marriage in December when it is allowed.

We were looking forward to all the things that come with marriage. We had a very small civil partnership but want a big wedding. We want to celebrate our love with family and friends, and say the vows that make us a married couple. We want to say the same vows and receive the same marriage certificate as our friends who have married, whether straight, gay or otherwise.

Unfortunately today we discovered that the conversion will be more of a desk exercise, much like paying taxes or getting a new tax disk for the car.

Couples will not be offered a ceremony for a conversion. There will also be no marriage certificate issued, just a "certificate of conversion". I don't know about you folk, but I don't think that is very equal at all. The only way to get an actual marriage certificate and a wedding in which we would be able to say those vows in a venue of our choice (I want a castle... But conversions can only take place in a registry office) would be to dissolve the civil partnership and do it all over again. But unfortunately "we want a real wedding" is not a good enough reason for dissolution.

Another couple already started a petition regarding this, and I would love if anyone that agrees could sign.

My opinion on this is that everyone should be equal. Regardless of race, faith, colour or sexuality, we should all have the same choices when it comes to things like this. I also, quite simply, believe that making conversion a desk based exercise takes away many of the reasons why I wanted to marry my partner in the first place.

I appreciate any signatures. Many thanks.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...facebook&utm_source=share_petition#supporters

Also, I dud not start this thread to cause arguments,so please if you don't agree, don't sign the petition. We're all entitled to our own beliefs here :)

I will happily sign Laura as I completely agree with you. I couldn't believe it when I heard that couples would have to dissolve their partnership to be able to get married. You should have the option. For those happy to have a desk based 'upgrade' should be allowed to but if you want the marriage ceremony with the vows and the certificate then that should be your right otherwise how is that equality?

Unfortunately the link doesn't appear to work :(

Updating the link now. Sorry lol

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...facebook&utm_source=share_petition#supporters

I will sign, I absolutely believe in equality and want you and everyone who wants their dream wedding to have it. I'm just a little confused though I've not heard of this conversion, can you not just go get married iykwim, or is it not allowed because you're already in a civil partnership?

Nope. If you're already in a CP you have to convert if you want to be married.

You can of course "dissolve" the civil partnership and then get married, but that is very expensive and there are only a few reasons why you can dissolve a CP.

If you're not in a CP you can get married just like any other couple, with the ceremony, the vows and the marriage certificate

Signed now hun x Good luck, I hope you guys get your dream wedding you really deserve it xx

I've been looking at this today as well, it's made me so angry. A marriage becomes legal through saying the vows, my CP became legal by signing a scrap of paper by signing another bit of paper to convert it it is still not a marriage as there are still no vows said.

I want my marriage to be searchable under marriages and I want a marriage certificate not yet another slip of paper saying I'm still a second class citizen who can't have a marriage certificate!

I've already signed but would add my plea to anyone else to please sign and or share with friends.

Nope. If you're already in a CP you have to convert if you want to be married.

You can of course "dissolve" the civil partnership and then get married, but that is very expensive and there are only a few reasons why you can dissolve a CP.

If you're not in a CP you can get married just like any other couple, with the ceremony, the vows and the marriage certificate

Thank you, that is crap. Signed and shared on Facebook.

I hope you can have your big fairy tale wedding we had it for our CP but would love a small ceremony to renew/get the real marriage certificate, hopefully in a couple years with our children (fingers crossed)

Fingers crossed! I'm hopeful that everyone gets what they wish for at the end of this x

I had no idea about this! Will sign when I'm on my laptop :)

Signed, I really hope you get to have your beautiful wedding. Everyone should be treated as equal

Signed. I struggle to get my head around the fact that, in this day and age, things like this are still needing to be petitioned for.

Signed :) Absolutely crazy how things still aren't equal and fair for everybody! I hope you get to have your big day :hugs:

Wow, I didn't realise this. I would have thought if you wanted to get married, you could!

So I understand correctly, if you want to get married, you have to 'divorce' your partner & then get married?

I agree with PP, it's sad that you have to petition for this in this day & age.

Signed for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->