UK girls: Smear tests?

Thats strange, I had smear test couple of years ago - I have no children, and I am expecting first child. I dont believe that it have to be over 25 to be test by smear test.. Every girls does have it before they are 25?

i had my first smear at 20yrs just after my 20th birthday i was sent a letter, i always thought you should have them done as soon as you start having sex? i have to have them yearly as ive has abnormal cells and have had to have them removed which was before i fell with lucy and i have booked one for next week as they never did one at my postnatal and its been well over a year now.

Yeh i got refused one about 2 months ago and am 21 its shocking to be refused one they should be offering them out!! It pisses me off!! x

looking on another thread i noticed you didnt get one, just wondering what they said.

did they give you a standard age in your area

Terrible! I can't believe they refused you. I think it's disgusting that they've raised the age x

Wow.. I cannot believe they make you wait until 25!!

I had my first at 16!! They made me get one before going on birth control!
You are supposed to have one every year here. I'm actually due for my fourth! I had my last when 12 weeks pregnant. So I'm actually 6months overdue for one! :dohh:

I'm in the UK.
I had my first smear at 18 then 21, then 25, and i've just had my forth at 28! (i did have to have one repeated as well due to a sample getting contaminated in transit)

Though to be honest my GP insisted i had one after being sexually active for 3 years (at 18) then my Uni Surgery insisted i have one then the other two we routine checks where i was called upon by the surgery.

I just had mine yesterday (I was due) and the nurse was lovely and chatting away to me. She was saying that they have had a total influx of people wanting to make appointments and they have had to start turning them down unless you are due for one.

She was surprised that I had already had 2 (I am 26) but then remembered it used to be 20 and so I am keeping to 3 yearly from then.

xxx

hummm i was thinking about asking for one? but i didnt think the Dr would do it since im only 21!

I cant believe how many of you have not had one... You should have a pap when you become sexually active, no matter what age. Here in Canada they do not prescribe bc unless you have one.

Cervical cancer can happen at ANY age. And the risk increases dramatically when you become sexually active, and even more if you contract an STD at ay point.

I've had 3 kids and want one but my doctor still refuses as I'm only 21.

You can get them done at Family Planning Clinics at any age, I think.

Ring your surgery and ask for an appointment with the nurse.

You should get one done, they don't hurt you have had a baby this is like getting your toes painted in comparison. lol

I had my first one yesterday :blush: naughty I know. I rang the GP surgery and they worked out when they needed to do it from the first day of my last period. I'm not sure if I read you've only had one or two peroids since Caitlyn was born so they may have trouble working out the best time. Best to give them a ring tho and see what they say, I think the Jade Goody situation has kicked a few ladies up the bum to get a smear done, I know it did me. At least her terrible situation may help ladies in the future to get their smears done. xXx

All my friends and i got them done this year, i just got a letter. Strange the different ages in different places.

There was a bit in the paper that because of the surge of women going for them after jade goody got diagnosed, they havent been sending the tissue of for diagnosis/assesment unless they sent you the appointment. Im 21 and have been sexualy active for 6 years, if i wait till im 25 i will have been sexualy active for 10 years with no smear, bloody stupid

depends on the docs i think...i had my first at 17...but my sister wasnt allowed one when she was 19 and was told to come back when she was 25...she complained and lied and said that there was cervical cancer history in her family so they gave her one.....good job she did cos yesterday she was told she has Grade 2 pre-cancerous cells and she has to have them lasered out :shock: (she is 23 now by the way)

Stupid. if you went to them with a lump they would give you a mamagram (sp?) but cirvical cancer can have no simptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->