Uk ladies-when do you write your birth plan?

yellowduck

Reaction score
I'm 31 weeks and just wondering when and how I write my birth plan? As it's my first I was thinking maybe a midwife will help me and talk through the options but at which appointment? Or do I have to just write it on my own?? I'm clueless really!

Thank you.

I really must get mine done.

With my first baby I had no clue what to expect and all I wrote was 'go with the flow' I won't ever do that again, I had no plan for the midwives to read and I wish I had because I'd of tried to do it naturally but I just panicked at the time.

This time I will be putting quite a bit of detail into it, I want to try my best to not have any drugs this time so I will be making that clear in my notes :)

It differs in time, some do it at 32w some do it at 37w.

Then some women choose to write it alone, then theirs some midwife who dont bother.

Ask about it at your next appt :)

I wrote with first at 34 weeks I think. I then stapled into my notes.
i'm now 38 weeks with no.2 and haven't written it yet, however I don't intend to be as specific. In first one I wrote things like 'do not offer pain relief' and I think that hindered things as they felt I didn't want their guidance, and I think they then didn't make suggestions which with hind sight they probably did have suggestions but felt as I had specifically stated for them to 'not tempt me' that they couldn't make suggestions

I don't plan on writing a birth plan.. in my experience labour is something that happens to you rather than something you do. I also worry that saying you don't want pain relief beforehand might hinder actually getting it if you do want it at the time.

having said that, ideally I'd like a homebirth in a pool with only gas and air... but I am aware that it may not happen.

also, perhaps having a birth plan makes you feel more in control and calmer in the run up to it... so maybe write one when you feel you are aware of all the options? Whenever that may be.

i dont remember when i did mine but in all honesty, i needent bother, they didnt look at it, instead i just told them, the things they tell you to put on is pointless anyway

I'm not writing one. All I know is I want an epidural that's it really

Thanks for all the advice, you've been really helpful :thumbup:

i woulnt say dont do one, because you could be in terrible pain, not really up for saying what you want therefore (if you still plan on keeping to your birth plan) you could just tell them to look at it. i told them as soon as i went in that i want no pain relief and i dont want asking& that i also want to get in the pool, thats all that mattered to me.
i put that i accept to having the injection for placenta & im happy about Malakai having vit K but they asked me anyway.

they say to put who you want there, if you want to walk about.. i said i do want to wander about but at the time i didn't, i couldn't, so i only stuck to 2 things on my BP, no pain relief & water birth

I've never bothered because it's such a difficult thing to plan for and I didn't want to be disappointed in myself for not sticking rigidly to what I envisaged. Instead I told DH a few things that I had preference over, such as pain relief options and injections and told him to use his judgement as someone who knows me as to whether to stick to that or not at the time. It's worked well for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->