UK Mums to be...Whooping Cough Vaccination.

Lellow

Déjà poo ... Get it?
Reaction score
Hello guys :)

Who has and who hasnt had the recommended whooping cough vaccination?

I never had this vaccination in my first pregnancy 3 yrs ago, things change so much, dont they.

Will you be going ahead and having it or opting out?

Thanks for any responses in advance :flower:

xxx

I had it at 32 weeks. It wasn't offered in my pregnancy early last year. Since then there has been a dramatic increase in cases of whooping cough in the uk. I would never forgive myself if my baby died or became seriously ill from a condition that could if been prevented if only I'd had the jab. I've lost one baby, I couldn't risk losing another. I looked at the stats for my area, and there were a large number of cases, so it was never really a question for me.

I didn't have it because I don't feel there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest it is safe or effective in pregnancy; or even for adults in general. It is also a slightly different version of a vaccine that caused long term ill effects for my two middle boys as babies and therefore I was very concerned about potential effects for the new baby as it can cross the placenta. I was never even offered it tbh but had I been I would have declined xx

I haven't had it, just don't feel comfortable with it. Not sure I'm comfortable with vaccines full stop. Didn't have any in my last pregnancy either.

There hasn't been research on how effective it actually is and if immunity really goes to the baby, also untested on pregnant women too. x

ive not had it purely because my midwife has never mentioned this and its not something that i have remembered to ask about at my appointments but i may ask my consultant about it on tuesday

tbh dont they just give you the normal flu shot that covers baby for whooping cough? I have been wary about the flu jab since they stuck the swine flu part in it as that seemed like a very rushed vaccine

I had it at 28+6 as I had whooping cough as a baby so don't want to risk my lil girl getting it.

The way I see it, it can't do any harm to you or baby

i haven't im not totally sure about these vaccines and after reading up on this sort of stuff i decided i don't feel comfortable having it. i do think its a very personal choice though xx

I was given a leaflet at 5 weeks, then at 10 weeks, MW told me to book my appointment at 28 week appointment and I had the injection 28+4.

Happy with my decision, no side effects at all and now my little angel is protected for the first 8 weeks of her life before she begins her jabs. But it is only something you can research then decide yourself :flower:

I had mine this week at 28+6 and I'm fine. Had nothing more than a sore arm for a few days

I had it. I know it is given in the hope that it MAY provide SOME protection to baby but I guess for me the risk of baby getting whooping cough was too much for me to ignore.

ive not had it purely because my midwife has never mentioned this and its not something that i have remembered to ask about at my appointments but i may ask my consultant about it on tuesday

tbh dont they just give you the normal flu shot that covers baby for whooping cough? I have been wary about the flu jab since they stuck the swine flu part in it as that seemed like a very rushed vaccine

No flu vaccine is totally different. The one they give for whooping cough is another version of the 5-in-1 normally given at 2, 3 and 4 months of age and a booster at about 13 months xx

Having been on the fringes of vaccine research (HPV, when I was doing molecular oncology stuff) I am totally and utterly comfortable with any vaccine that's rolled out to the general public. I've been involved in the background science and if you seen the hoops they jump through and the MASSIVE safety margins to which they have to operate then you'd be very surprised anything EVER gets past clinical trials where kiddies are concerned. People witter on about the levels of aluminium and formaldehyde in vaccine adjuvants, but - you actually get more in FRESH FRUIT!

... I think what's happened in Wales should be a wake-up call and that f*cking Andrew-B*st*rd-Wakefield is a self-pubicising dishonest quack of the lowest order. If I saw him in the street I would cross the road to spit on him.

I sero-convert a bit too well I think as I usually get a bit fluey for a couple of days post-jab (I've had to have loads as I used to work with Human tissue samples) - but I have to admit - I got the whooping cough/diphtheria/polio one yesterday and all I've got so far is a wee lump (looks like a midge bite - but smaller!) where the needle went in.

It's every Mothers choice on how she protects her child and I would never judge a Mother for wanting the best for her kids and being concerned.

I would however blame and condemn the idiotic press and scare-mongering websites that spread a sh*t load of pseudo-bollocks that helps no-one and causes genuine distress.

... need cake now

*rant mode deactivated*

I have declined it as I didn't feel comfortable having it done

Here's the link to the nhs explanation of it

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/whooping-cough-vaccination-pregnant.aspx

I had it at 30 weeks didn't even question it wouldn't want to risk the health and life of my baby, had a sore arm and a bit fluy but apart from that nothing major x

I am very safety conscious and I refused the flu jab as I didn't feel it was safe enough. I will do anything and everything to protect my baby.

I did however have the whooping cough vaccine yesterday though. I never read about the side effects of this though as I didn't want to scare myself, I just spoke to my midwife and nurse asking if it was safe, they both said it was So I went ahead.

I chose to have the whooping cough vaccine as myself and my little girl had whooping cough last year, my little girl was only 3 and it hit her pretty bad, it was terrible watching how Ill she was, she was even admitted to hospital with it, she couldnt breath and ended up with an inhaler aswel to help her, I was terrified that something would happen to her.

whooping cough lasts months aswel, she was Ill for ages and i tried everything I could to help her be able to breathe better but nothing worked. I spent night after night sat up with her, praying she would be ok.

While in hospital she was on a ward full of children her age that had whooping cough and most of them was on oxygen, can you imagine a little baby with whooping cough? They wouldn't be able to breath at all!

So after my personal experience I decided that i would like my baby to be immune from birth, I'm hoping the vaccine is safe though and hopefully made the right decision by having it.

Babies are injected with it anyway at 2months old, I doubt they would offer vaccines to pregnant ladies and babies if it is that unsafe

I had it... my lo is now nearly five months old and a little star (yes i am biased lol) again as others have said its a personal choice. I had it at thirty weeks pretty much when they introduced it. So many of the women who have had it have also had their babies. I haven't seen anything to say it has caused anyone any problems. X

I had it at 28 weeks exactly. It's only two years since i was pregnant with Adrian and it wasn't offered then either but then the incidences and deaths from whooping cough have rapidly increased since then.
My friend is a GP and has just had her little girl. She didn't have the flu jab but did have the whooping cough.
My arm was quite sore for a few days and i still have a tiny bruise. If you sleep on your left, i recommend getting it in your right arm as i would not have been able to sleep on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->