UK Mums to be...Whooping Cough Vaccination.

yep I had it at 34+4

didn't have it for any of my previous 3 pregnancies though, but then again there wasn't a whooping cough epidemic at those times

Ive not had it, if my due date were later in the year i probably would have had it done.

Yes, absolutely. Had mine at 30 weeks. More people should read fatandlumpys post.

Most people I know who choose to forego this particular vaccine (or indeed any other vaccine) it is because they or a close family member has had a bad reaction to this particular vaccine or one of the ingredients. It is extremely patronising to assume that people forego vaccines because of scaremongering websites or Andrew Wakefield. The vaccine in question here is one the government until recently did not recommend for adults to have at all, even if they were travelling to an area with a whooping cough epidemic, let alone for pregnant women. I myself cannot have this vaccine as it contains a bovine protein that I am allergic to as were my children as babies and consequently my two middle boys suffered a serious long lasting reaction to the infant version of this jab and it has had knock on effects on their health long term; it is not because I read about formaldehyde or aluminium on some quack website. Even the militantly pro-vax nurse at my GP surgery admits there is no other explanation for my sons' health problems other than the 2, 3 and 4 month jabs. Also whooping cough is a seasonal illness and there are far fewer cases in the spring and summer so after weighing up the risks I decided not to have the jab; I will also be delaying the infant jabs with the new baby as I did with my youngest xx

I didn't have it because I don't feel there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest it is safe or effective in pregnancy; or even for adults in general. It is also a slightly different version of a vaccine that caused long term ill effects for my two middle boys as babies and therefore I was very concerned about potential effects for the new baby as it can cross the placenta. I was never even offered it tbh but had I been I would have declined xx

... Ummm. Before you condemn me as being patronising. I refer to your above previous posting as to why you've refused to be vaccinated. (BiB). Which is your utter right by the way and I'm not saying you were wrong to make the decision you have done.

It sort of suggests that you feel it's not "safe or effective", due to lack of "anecdotal" evidence. Also - if your lads were made ill by a previous version of the vaccine - then take Sanoffi Pastuer to court, and if you are in the process of doing so then good luck to you.

Also - you didn't mention your allergy then... Not that you needed to as it's your right to disclose (or not) any medical info about yourself. That allergy to that particular protein needs to be well documented in your medical notes as that protein (or versions of) is used A LOT in antibody (or any protein/peptide) preparations (as helps stabilise the concentrations... sort of).

In my defense... if you are not clear as to why you deem something 'unsafe' or untrustworthy on a public forum (especially something as 'important' or 'controversial' with far reaching implications for the general health of the public, such as vaccination), then perhaps you should be prepared for people to make assumptions...

I sincerely apologise for any offense - but for crying out loud I'm not freaking psychic!

PS - There are many reasons why a vaccine won't be recommended by NICE... one of them is cost. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

Its been pulled in my area because they found it wasnt affecting the numbers of new babes who got whooping cough.

Yeah the fact the antibodies crossing the placenta is unproven/ isn't known how effective it will be makes me think it's not worth getting, especially at this time of year. I don't think vaccines are as safe as people make out either.

Actually ladies - there's another thread on this subject further down the page...

I didn't have it because I don't feel there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest it is safe or effective in pregnancy; or even for adults in general. It is also a slightly different version of a vaccine that caused long term ill effects for my two middle boys as babies and therefore I was very concerned about potential effects for the new baby as it can cross the placenta. I was never even offered it tbh but had I been I would have declined xx

... Ummm. Before you condemn me as being patronising. I refer to your above previous posting as to why you've refused to be vaccinated. (BiB). Which is your utter right by the way and I'm not saying you were wrong to make the decision you have done.

It sort of suggests that you feel it's not "safe or effective", due to lack of "anecdotal" evidence. Also - if your lads were made ill by a previous version of the vaccine - then take Sanoffi Pastuer to court, and if you are in the process of doing so then good luck to you.

Also - you didn't mention your allergy then... Not that you needed to as it's your right to disclose (or not) any medical info about yourself. That allergy to that particular protein needs to be well documented in your medical notes as that protein (or versions of) is used A LOT in antibody (or any protein/peptide) preparations (as helps stabilise the concentrations... sort of).

In my defense... if you are not clear as to why you deem something 'unsafe' or untrustworthy on a public forum (especially something as 'important' or 'controversial' with far reaching implications for the general health of the public, such as vaccination), then perhaps you should be prepared for people to make assumptions...

I sincerely apologise for any offense - but for crying out loud I'm not freaking psychic!

PS - There are many reasons why a vaccine won't be recommended by NICE... one of them is cost. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

I was actually responding to loopylala, insinuating that people should read your post as if those who have decided not to vaccinate have done so based on scaremongering etc. You personally didn't cause me any offence though I strongly disagree on some points.

The version of pediacel that made my boys poorly is still in use, when my boys were small it did not mention in the leaflet it had serum bovine albumin in so for several years it was a mystery as to what had caused their reaction. They were extremely unwell within hours of having the jab and it just continued, both of them went from gaining up to 16oz a week to gaining 1oz or less a week and their head and length growth faltered for a while as well. Both developed severe allergies with my second eldest developing an anaphylactic reaction to dairy with the slightest contact. I would dearly love to sue them however it is beyond my means to do so and I don't fancy our chances against a huge multinational drug company. There are other versions of the same vaccine available that do not contain this protein but they aren't licensed on the NHS. This protein along with cows' milk protein doesn't cause me anaphylaxis however it causes me other symptoms such as skin rashes and extreme ear nose and throat related issues. I developed quinsy last year due to thid and it is one of the main reasons I became vegan-and since becoming vegan I have had no ENT issues in almost 6 months. I am aware it is in so many things including the oral and injected vitamin K which may explain why my youngest developed an intolerance to dairy and beef via my milk from the first week of life. However for various reasons I am more reluctant to forego the vitamin K. Most other mums who have chosen not to take this vaccine have done so for similar medically sound reasons, it isn't just me xx

And I said 'anecdotal' evidence as they obviously cannot test vaccines on pregnant women but it would be things like Kala stated, it having an effect on whooping cough rates in babies under 8 weeks. Even taking the allergy issue into consideration I would have perhaps gone for this vaccine if I felt the evidence that it works when administered in pregnancy was considerably stronger. As it is I feel the potential risks outweigh the potential benefits too strongly xx

I wasn't being patronising at all, and if you took it the wrong way then im sorry for that. I wont go in to why I said more people should read fatandlumpys post as I find that commonly on here things get turned in to an argument and that's not why im here.

I think at the end of the day everyone has thier own personal views on vaccines, whether in pregnancy or not, sometimes its down to personal experience why we make a certain choice. Theres no right or wrong way in having the vaccine or not :) some women feel comforted that thier baby will have protection where as others feel scared of the risks etc... everyone is different but we are all trying to do the same thing in the end, which is protect our baby :)

The vaccine was made available to try and protect and prevent our newborn from having whooping cough, there has to be some evidence of it working and safety im pregnancy or the nhs wouldnt offer it.. also evrything we do has risks. its up to us wether we want to take it.. like paracetamol for example will have a list of side effects but most women take it in pregnancy.

I think there are too many things in pregnancy that women are scared by, like the list of food we cant eat due to risks of it affecting our babies. its a worrisome time.being pregnant as it is never mind all the dos and donts.

I think.the problem with the vaccines is we have the choice to have it or not where as everything else in pregnancy is set rules that no one questions.. such as limited caffiene

sorry for writing an essay. this is just my point of view. i think.you all have valid reasons :) why you will or wont be having it

Didn't have it. I've not had any jabs in pregnancy and the superstitious side of me says that I'm better off 'sticking to what I know'. Up to the individual though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->