Um question ..

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Staceiz19, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Staceiz19

Staceiz19 Mother of 2, 1 on the way

Hey

My DF got cut at work today by rusty pliers and is wanting to get a tetanus shot just to be safe,

just wondering

will we have to wait with ttc and if so how long?

Thanks

2. Rmar

Rmar Well-Known Member

Tetanus can be prevented by cleaning the wound thoroughly imediatly. Don't wait any longer to clean it!

The immunisation won't be that effective right now because if he does get the shot and the wound is not cleaned out properly he may get very sick regardless. If he is worried enough to want a tetanus shot then get him to go to the hospital right now and clean it out and dress it with antibiotic dressing. This must be done within 24 hours of getting the cut. Don't use bandaids as the cut will become moist which is the perfect breeding ground for germs.

It shouldn't effect TTC so that should be fine but I wouldn't take any risks with not cleaning it out.

3. Leilani

Leilani Well-Known Member

A quick Google search bought up a lot of sites which say it is fine for a woman to get a tetanus shot whilst pregnant - so I'd say it would be perfectly fine to keep on keeping on!

Get your DF to ask the nurse.

4. Staceiz19

Staceiz19 Mother of 2, 1 on the way

thanks very much for the informative post Rmar

And thanks for taking the time to google Leilani

appreciate it x