undermining women in labour?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
A different thread has highlighted the fact that precautionary IVs are common place in some countries. The idea of that seems very strange to me.

It seems to me like women are expected to need intervention and things are expected to go wrong so its best to be prepared but to me women need to feel empowered and to feel like they can do it.

I'm pretty passionate about natural delivery so it really just baffles me.

Yes that is common in the US. Not very many hospitals have faith in women to give birth naturally or unmedicated. We have high rates, up to 90% in some hospitals, of epidural and pain medication use. We have high rates of induction and vacuum extraction. It's pathetic.

In mild defense of routine IVs, some care providers really are going to be concerned that you be ready for surgery if an emergency is needed. And having an IV put in will waste precious minutes.

I think that a hep-lock is a good compromise. You retain your freedom and mobility, care provider gets the security of knowing that an IV can quickly be hooked up in an emergency.

That said, completely agree that a big part of it is the lack of faith in a woman's ability to birth naturally.

Yep, I mentioned to a group of ladies at a party that I didn't want an IV (unless necessary), and they all tried to convince me that having the IV in 'just in case' was safer. One of them was a young nurse and said: "I hardly think they will let you go without one, it is standard where I work." Well, come to find out, my birthing center is more pro-natural. = )

Does just having it in not give doctors more chance to use "well the iv is already in so..." When pushing further intervention.

The idea you don't have a choice in it is ridiculous to me. How in a 1st world country can you have no choice whether something is being stuck in your arm.

Does just having it in not give doctors more chance to use "well the iv is already in so..." When pushing further intervention.

Exactly this. If for any reason I end up at a hospital to labor instead of being at home as is currently the plan, I'm refusing a hep lock on admit. WHEN and IF I need an IV, they can do it then. It feels really disrespectful to me that they'd try to get you to allow one when your plan clearly states you want to labor naturally.

The idea you don't have a choice in it is ridiculous to me. How in a 1st world country can you have no choice whether something is being stuck in your arm.

They absolutely will let you decline it. It's not in their wording, though. The wording is, "We're going to put in an IV right now." Then you have to say, "no, you're not." But definitely the way they phrase it makes it sound like they're going to do it. Everything does. They hand you a hospital gown and say put it on. You can just say no. (I said no.) But, they don't phrase it like you can. Another one is, "you can't have anything to eat or drink." Or, "get on the bed." You just keep your own clothes on, sit on the floor, and take out a granola bar. Those are all issued as directives but they aren't requirements.

I'm curious how many women & babies actually die or suffer lifelong complications because it took 2 minutes to put in an IV??

I had one put in and as far as I remember I was told they would be doing it rather than them requesting that I allow it but by that time I was fully dilated and ready to push and couldn't be bothered to argue.
I would've have refused one any earlier than that though, they're so uncomfortable.

One of the Mums at school had one put in as a precation as it was her 5th baby and you are at higher risk of hemorrage. I had one in anyway for antibiotics. I dont think its undermiming women in labour as such.

I don't want one either (besides not wanting easy access to put meds in w/o asking i'm super allergic to tape and its held in place with tape) However, I have been at the unpleasant end of being super dehydrated and having to go into the hospital (for non pregnancy related issues) It took them 30 min and 5 different ppl to put the dam thing in. I was bruised and in a lot of pain. I am willing to compromise with the hep block but i refuse to be feathered to to an IV poll!

I can't imagine having one in, I would have refused. Here we may not have any other options then hospital birth but they at least don't force much of anything on you if you're having a natural birth. I was pretty much just left alone entirely, maybe they forgot I was there seeing as they didn't have to do anything for me haha. Although after I had my LO they wanted to give me some kind of meds as they thought I may have a bleeding issue (which I didn't they just couldn't find my tear and stitch it) and the doctor seemed pretty annoyed I didn't have an IV.

No way would I be having any cannulas put in unless required! It takes less than a minute to put in (if you've got good veins lol)!! When I was transferred the paramedic wanted to put one in "just incase" and my mw actually said, no your not, she does not need one!!! I know as a nurse over here cannulas are put in if and when needed not for "just incase". I've noticed over the years it's gone from practically every patient having one from when in a&e to only people who are on iv treatment having them and then have to be monitored on every shift and changed after 5 days!

It seems to me like women are expected to need intervention and things are expected to go wrong so its best to be prepared

I think you are absolutely right, and I think it goes much further than just an IV line going in.

Women have been lead to believe that birth is something that they cannot achieve without help - even if things all go swimmingly, your baby is "delivered" by someone else (be that a mw/doc/obgyn). Delivered - meaning saved/rescued and by someone else to boot. Which is why I hate the phrase, and tend to make a point of saying "to birth your baby".

We have a long way to go to fix the damage that has been done to the attitude towards birth, but I hope it can be achieved. I think the only way we can get women to trust their bodies again is for women who have a positive experience to get it out there, and hopefully then other women will start to trust and listen to their bodies and by the very fact that they do, make choices to avoid the things that prolong/disturb labour, such as lying on the back (all so that a medic can see what's going on between your legs) and not eating and drinking (ever tried to run a marathon on empty?!).

Just my opinion though :)

After reading through all these pst, I must say that these things never even crossed my mind. I've always let doctors and them do whatever in a "they know best" manner, but you ladies have brought up a lot of points I really want to sit and think on. Thank you.

I read that thread too kala and I was shocked.

I had no idea that precautionary IVs were so common. It seems so odd to me to place one just in case. Well technically I could break my leg crossing the road, so should I bring a crutch with me every time?

I do think it is a small part of a much bigger problem - the expectation that women are going to struggle during labour and need assistance. Naturally there are different problems that could arise, but also there are millions of straight forward births that don't require intervention. It sets women up to think that they may not be able to do it on their own, leading to anxiety and panic, which in turn leads to a higher probability of needing intervention and having a more difficult birth.

This only serves to feed into what some health professionals would have everyone believe - see, we told you you would need help. So the cycle perpetuates, more stories out there of women needing assistance. The mentality of positivity and embracing it has been lost to a certain degree.

When I gave birth to my son I did it at home, without pain relief and it was the best experience of my life. I didn't allow midwives to examine me, I had no idea how many centimetres dilated I was because I felt it wasn't necessary to know. I am the first of my friends to have a baby and they were amazed by the way I did it and I have been working on changing their mindsets for when they do it - that women CAN do it, that it doesn't have to be a scary experience and we are STRONG.

I totally agree! It makes me cringe when I hear women' stories about the nurse asking them when they want the epidural as soon as they are admitted. If you say "um, I never said I wanted it" they look at you like you're crazy, like why the hell would anyone want to go through hell. We are brainwashed to expect labor to be unbeareable, so pain medication is now the norm. People totally forgot about the risks. What did women do before induction and other drugs were invented?

It seems to me like women are expected to need intervention and things are expected to go wrong so its best to be prepared

I think you are absolutely right, and I think it goes much further than just an IV line going in.

Women have been lead to believe that birth is something that they cannot achieve without help - even if things all go swimmingly, your baby is "delivered" by someone else (be that a mw/doc/obgyn). Delivered - meaning saved/rescued and by someone else to boot. Which is why I hate the phrase, and tend to make a point of saying "to birth your baby".

We have a long way to go to fix the damage that has been done to the attitude towards birth, but I hope it can be achieved. I think the only way we can get women to trust their bodies again is for women who have a positive experience to get it out there, and hopefully then other women will start to trust and listen to their bodies and by the very fact that they do, make choices to avoid the things that prolong/disturb labour, such as lying on the back (all so that a medic can see what's going on between your legs) and not eating and drinking (ever tried to run a marathon on empty?!).

Just my opinion though :)

Thank you! That's exactly how I feel too

I wonder if any of you girls read the thread in (I can't remember which tri- 2nd, 3rd?) a few days ago from a nurse who said girls with birth plan wishes were......... AND I QUOTE....... "needy".

:shock: No wonder I didn't want to go back there.

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/1712067-birth-plans-really.html
(Warning, might rile up the blood!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->