unemployed people who is worried about xmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shazney22

Reaction score
I am :nope: so worried about budgeting the next 3 months

I'm employed to an extent, as I do babysit but this Christmas has been a struggle already. Everything is so expensive and I still have things to get for the kids, plus family and I don't know how I'm going to even pull it off :( A lot of family are getting chocolates this year!

:hugs:

I've been unemployed at Christmas before, to be honest I didn't stress. There are SO many ways to make Christmas easier on the bank balance. Sign up to HotUKDeals, PlayPennies etc, you could save a small fortune. Also the bargain thread on here, and there's a lady made a thread about car boot sales where she's found incredible bargains.
When I was unemployed I didn't bother buying tons of Christmas food (and tbh, I'm going back to that this year, it's pointless), I got creative with gifts and what I could make for little or nothing. This year we're going to OH's in the evening, he has a massive family and because I can't really afford to go round them all with gifts I'm spending about £30 on soap making ingredients and wool, and they're all getting a homemade bar of soap and a crocheted facecloth :haha: You can get away with giving little gifts like that if they're homemade :winkwink:

We had little as kids and Christmasses were absolutely magical. It's really not about the money. I'm sure you'll make Christmas fab in your home, don't worry so much :flower:

When we have struggled in the past we have told relatives that we are not buying for the extended family, and the same went for them buying for us, we just had the kids make stuff for them, like salt dough decorations and paintings etc, one year we made DH's mum an apron with the kids hand prints etc on it. they seemed to like those personal items better anyway.
And for the kids they would just not get as much, and DH and i would not buy for each other so we could save the money for the kids, and food etc

Around this time many places begin advertising for temps in the run up to Christmas this could make you some money? X

i've been unemployed every xmas since i had morgan. the year he was 1ish was awful i was paying soo much on bus fares to college/dinners and i just had no money i felt so awful and now i always start early to avoid this and look for bargains.

i've been really skint lately as fob stopped my child maintenence but i've been using online surveys to help with costs. also sold some things on local selling pages.

just remember it's not always whats under the tree that makes xmas special.

I'm the same and with a baby due 30th December and katie's birthday in November I was really worried but ohs got her main present second hand and at less than half the price so I'm just buying bits here and there for her and im going to try and save up a little over the next 2 months so I can buy her new play doh sets and I have alot of family to buy for too so I'm going to make great use of 3 for 2 offers and cheaper shops to get things at lower prices :)

Last year was exceptionally hard. We both worked but our electric in our flat was messing up and were spending around £280-£300 a month in electric alone :(

It was hard but we didn't go over board Kept well within budget, me and Tom didnt but for Eachother and family I made presents for... That year I was sooo glad I started early

Xx

My partner is unemployed (medical condition ) and I only work 16 hours but I plan christmas way in advance to help with this as soon as January's done I start putting money in a tin for my son's christmas by the time the argos 3 for 2 comes on I have a good wee bit saved to get him 3 decent toys and when ever I see a good deal sale what even I buy it and stick it away I started that in march it honestly makes a huge difference and if I didn't do it there's no way I'd get through xmas xx

I see your in scotland is there a jack n Jill market near you? People sell great toys at fractions of the price (second hand) iv found some great toys still in boxes and clothesx and at this time of the year there's always lots to buy as people trying to make money/space for christmas xx

I see your in scotland is there a jack n Jill market near you? People sell great toys at fractions of the price (second hand) iv found some great toys still in boxes and clothesx and at this time of the year there's always lots to buy as people trying to make money/space for christmas xx

yeah there is those markets near me, do kids bother if you buy 2nd hand? as for big things I was thinking of doing this xx

yeah there is those markets near me, do kids bother if you buy 2nd hand? as for big things I was thinking of doing this xx

How old are your LO's? My DD is nearly 5 and DS is nearly 3 and they would not notice the difference between a new or 2nd hand toy

How old are your LO's? My DD is nearly 5 and DS is nearly 3 and they would not notice the difference between a new or 2nd hand toy

She is 4 xx

She will not care less Hun :flower: I don't mind buying second hand and although all new you have seen the things I have unashamedly bought or presents from the car boot.

I have bought gabby the Playmobil house and we have decided to put it together with all the furniture in, so although new no one would know either way, as long as Santa has been she would not care less :flower:

I'm self-employed but income is still slim. I tend to depend on catalogues (monthly payments and buy now pay later) or look around for bargains. I've saved LOTS with the help of vouchers from surveys. I've spent £150 for DD birthday presents which £110 were vouchers and not paid a penny for all of my Christmas bits so far as that's all done through vouchers and catalogue.

I've took a few trips to the new charity shop which has finally stocked up and bought a few bits. I got https://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Learning-Centre-Fabulous-Fairies/sim/B0063E594E/2 for 50p !! Everything inside/as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"