Unisex name veto ... Do I tell him?

Qmama79

Mother of Finley Ethan(3)
Reaction score
My OH dislikes unisex names. Why would you not make it clear with the name if you're dealing with a boy or girl?...

He knows Finley is unisex (after we named him), but he still feels no girl can be called 'Finley'. We now have decided on the name fr our second boy: 'Quinn'. Another unisex name! Hahaha! And he's actually considering 'Ashley' as a middle name!!

Do you think I should tell him both Quinn & Ashley are unisex names before the fact? He hasn't done a lot of name searching himself, but told me he really likes the sound of it & he feels it's a good name. I suggested Ashley as a name because I like it, but more as a hidden unisex joke & he actually liked it. Ashley is an obvious unisex name, no??

He must be aware of Ashley being used for both girls and boys?! I don't know whether I would mention it. Probably. But I'm expecting if he doesn't see it as unisex, then he won't care?

I would probably tell him tbh but I can't imagine him not knowing Ashley is unisex :shrug:
I don't see Quinn or Finley as unisex myself though, im not saying people don't name their girls these names but to me they're pretty masculine names iykwim? Perhaps it's that I've never heard of them on girls in real life. :)

Haha just don't even bring it up!

My niece is named Finley. So there are definitely girl ones out there :flower: And for this reason, I actually see it as a more feminine name. I suppose it's what you're used to!

We are liking Quinn for a girl. It's on the list.

I definitely think of Finley as a boy name, but both Quinn and Ashley are unisex to me, probably in equal measures too.
Id probably not mention anything 😄

I've never heard of Finley as a girls name and the only Quinn I've heard of is the girl on Glee so wouldn't consider either unisex.

Ashley definitely is though.

If you love it wait till he does too then tell him, it won't matter then

I would definitely assume that Quinn Ashley was a girl, though Ashley is prominently a girls name where I live. I've seen lots of little baby girl Quinns lately, too (though I prefer it for a boy, personally). If it were me I would leave Quinn alone but tell him that Ashley is often used for girls just because I would have assumed girl seeing both names together and if other people do as well it might really bother your husband in the future - though again that could just be because of where I live.

Finley unisex?!

Quinn Ashley definitely sounds like a girls name though.

I have never heard of Quinn for a girl (I know a boy with this name) nor have I heard Finley for a girl. I wouldn't consider either unisex personally, I'd presume boy. Ashley I always presume girl, even though I went out with a guy called Ashley!

Does your boy get Fin? Because Fin and Quinn are quite similar!

Does your boy get Fin? Because Fin and Quinn are quite similar!

We call out by the full name. Finley or Finners. Hardly ever say Quinn.
I tried convincing oh to make the official name Quinlan, but he doesn't like that.

I would definitely assume that Quinn Ashley was a girl, though Ashley is prominently a girls name where I live. I've seen lots of little baby girl Quinns lately, too (though I prefer it for a boy, personally). If it were me I would leave Quinn alone but tell him that Ashley is often used for girls just because I would have assumed girl seeing both names together and if other people do as well it might really bother your husband in the future - though again that could just be because of where I live.

You are right! It was meant as a joke, so I'm going to see if we can pick a boyish middle name instead!!

I have a Quinn (girl) so would automatically assume girl, although it is a unisex name.

I didnt know Ashley was unisex, Ive only ever heard it as a girls name. Quinn sounds more masculine but I know it's unisex. Id also assume Quinn Ashley was a girl. Nice name though!

I suppose it depends where you live. I'm in the Uk and for me ashley is a very equal unisex name ( my brother is ashley) infact the girls version tends to be spelt Ashleigh over here.
I also think Quinn is a unisex name and I could see it on either a girl or a boy, however I would be inclined to choose a more strong masculine middle name if you decide on Quinn as to me Quinn Ashley does sounds feminine and could cause confusion but Quinn George or Quinn Alexander for example would certainly reduce any confusion if u see what I mean?
Nice name though xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->