Unisured and need to go to the doctor

MarchBaby15

Reaction score
Ok first I do have Medicare and Medicare Advantage plan ( its for people with disabilities ) but it is a HMO plan and it wont allow me to see a doctor outside of the network area. I am currently with family in another state ( 1600 miles away ) till Oct then I am going to be moving someplace else ( from where I was living and where my insurance currently works ). So I cant switch my HMO plan to where I am now because I wont be able to switch it to where I move to until the new enrollment period in 2015. So its all a big mess. The only out of state coverage I have is emergency care. I am 7 weeks pregnant now and wondering if I should go into the ER to have them check on the pregnancy? At least get a doctor to see me until I get my insurance straighten out is my thought. Its better than not seeing a doctor till my second trimester, right? I found some pregnancy clinics but they only confirm the pregnancy or its only for teen moms which I am not. I am not high risk and its my second pregnancy so I know what I should do to take care of myself. But I would feel better to be checked out in the early weeks. I cant afford to pay out of pocket ( who can ) and there is no option for temp health care coverage now.

I don't think it's necessary for you to see a dr until second tri. But for dating scan I wouldn't be seeing an ob until second tri. Take your vitamins and eat/ drink properly and you'll be fine. :).

I'd say you can wait til 2nd tri also, unless you have reason to suspect a problem, in which case, ER. Planned parenthood will help you whether you are a teen or not and most county clinics as well. But they will just do a pee test, no U/S.

If it were me (and I have been uninsured plenty of times), I'd just wait it out til I get my ins. squared away, buy over the counter prenatals.

Typically, even when you have ins, you won't get a U/S until 12 weeks if there is no reason to suspect a problem, or unless you have a dating issue.

I'm sure you know your plan a lot better than I do (which is not at all), but I used to help people set up their insurance and I know most places offer you the chance to change your coverage outside of the normal enrollment period up to a certain number of days after a "life event". For example, if you got married, had a child or moved into a different coverage zone you had 30 days (or 60 depending on the plan) to call in and notify of the change, you could then change your coverage based on the event- either add a new dependent, update life insurance, choose a new HMO etc.

Maybe it is worth a call to your plan administrator to find out?

Def worth trying to see if there's any possibility to get more coverage where you are. If not then I'd wait until second tri as long as you don't feel there's any complications, like bleeding/pain/severe sickness. Keep going with prenatals and healthy eating as much as you can:hugs:

In my first pregnancy, I did not have an U/S until I was 20 weeks. My doctor just didn't do a dating scan and I declined genetic testing. So I would have to agree with PP and say that if you aren't having complications, then you should be fine to wait until second tri (easier said then done, I know).

Can you qualify for medicaid? I know some people who are dual covered with Medicare and Medicaid (low income disabled). Maybe that could work?

Good luck!

What she said^^^ . I was wondering the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->