Unreliable OPKs or LH problem?

Has anyone had problems with internet cheapie OPKs giving false negative results?flower:

I'm going to be honest with you. I refuse to do them. I have NEVER had a + opk. I've tested twice a day for a week. It got close, but never +.

I know I'm ovulating, it's reflected in my temping and symptoms.

So, yes, I personally feel that they are very unreliable. So much so that when my RE was talking about treatment options and either waiting for a +opk or giving myself an injection, I choose the injection hands down. Way easier for me to stick myself in the hip than get a + on one of those things.

That's a point, ready has 3 kids and never got a +opk, so the temping is a better guide anyway, it's more scientifically proven:thumbup:

I like to do both though, the more data the better:thumbup: but I trust the temping opk is an optional extra

Yeah, I'm happy with the temping for knowing if I've Ov'd. Just thought a bit of help in knowing when we should be BDing would be good! But feeling happier that others haven't got the OPKs to work either. My doc warned me too that the OPKs can be unreliable.

I like to do both though, the more data the better:thumbup: but I trust the temping opk is an optional extra
Have to admit I'm a bit of a data freak too - you can probably tell from my rigorous OPK result recording this cycle!

A faint line isn't positive - it just indicates that your body is potentially starting to gear up for ovulation, it's only a line as dark or darker than the control line that indicates a definite LH surge.

So if you get a faint line then it's advisable to start testing more than once a day to make sure you don't miss the surge.

Normally I would agree, but i used the answer brand of OPKs to catch the progression. I tested 3 x a day. I had some left over CBe digis to confirm +OPK and have been temping. I get "almost as dark but not the as dark or darker than, EVER, on any brand, and I confirmed with a digi and got a smiley. Maybe because I have short surges? I held in my wee for 4 hours and no drinking at all, so the urine was concentrated enough. I guess not everyone gets a "true" +OPK, although it should be a +. Maybe because I am 36, it has something to do with it? IDK.

It's techinically possible to ovulate and not get a + opk, so maybe sammy you are one of those people that never get a proper +, but ready is living proof that this is not a major TTC obstacle.

I don't think it's an age thing, more an individual body setting...

I guess like everything in this TTC lark some people are more "normal" than others! I'm gradually learning that my lovely body is "abnormal" in lots of respects and it's great to be able to come on here and be reassured that there's other ladies out there who are the same. :flower:

I once read that getting a reading from the LH surge is like spotting a shotting star.
I must have a short surge. No biggie, I know I'm ovulating so that's enough for me.

This is all really great info about OPKs. This is my 3rd month using them- I got a definite positive last month on CD 21. I have been testing 2-3 times a day this cycle- all negative & the closest I got to a positive was today- it was almost as dark as the control line, but it is CD 26- is it too late to ovulate? My cervix has been high for a week & I still have clear - almost egg white CM.

CD 26- is it too late to ovulate? My cervix has been high for a week & I still have clear - almost egg white CM.

My RE says as long as it's prior to cd 22, it's ok.
Although, if you look at FF charts, you will see many with women that conceived with ovulation greater than day 22.

I'd go with the ewcm. If you have it, then use it, lol!

This is all really great info about OPKs. This is my 3rd month using them- I got a definite positive last month on CD 21. I have been testing 2-3 times a day this cycle- all negative & the closest I got to a positive was today- it was almost as dark as the control line, but it is CD 26- is it too late to ovulate? My cervix has been high for a week & I still have clear - almost egg white CM.

Sorry, bit late on this reply as I've been away so prob not much help to you now, but... I thought it was never "too late" to Ov. Everybody's cycle is different. E.g. Some people can have 40 day cycles and not Ov until day 30.

I had also heard ideally by CD22-ish... I believe it's because the egg quality drops off after that. Although like ready said, you'll still find plenty of examples of people who got pregnant with >CD22 ov dates....

I know my ov was hovering around CD20 for the first few months and my acupuncturist woman was trying things to bring it forward. Even though mine now average CD17, she'd still like to see it forward a couple of days.

I think for LP issues in particular, Lancy, they'd rather you ov'd earlier to give your LP more of a chance - one theory anyway :shrug:

I had also heard ideally by CD22-ish... I believe it's because the egg quality drops off after that. Although like ready said, you'll still find plenty of examples of people who got pregnant with >CD22 ov dates....

I know my ov was hovering around CD20 for the first few months and my acupuncturist woman was trying things to bring it forward. Even though mine now average CD17, she'd still like to see it forward a couple of days.

I think for LP issues in particular, Lancy, they'd rather you ov'd earlier to give your LP more of a chance - one theory anyway :shrug:

Well you learn something new every day! At least that's one thing I don't have to add to the list of things to worry about, my cycles are usually on the shorter side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->