Unsure?

KellyJelly92

Reaction score
I know I haven't got left in my pregnancy, but I'm unsure about whether giving birth at home is a better choice than at the hospital.
The hospital is better for if something goes wrong and I needed a c section quickly, but home would be better as it's a familiar environment, I could do things how I want and I would have MW with me anyway. :wacko:
I'm so confused about what to choose, what are you ladies doing? xxx

I've chosen a MW led unit which is actually at my hospital. So if something goes wrong or I need a c section, I can be taken down a couple of floors to the normal delivery suite

I think that a lot of interventions happen in hospitals rather than home births, like c sections and all that comes before it (foreceps, ventouse etc). At home, you are going to be more relaxed, have the mw's full attention and not be rushed if you aren't progressing along certain guidelines (so many cm per hour for example)

I definitely like the idea of a home birth. But am not brave enough this time. So have chosen a mw led unit!

Try to not be swayed by the 'well if something goes wrong you are here and can have a c section' theory. If you are at home and things are going wrong, the mw will make the call to transfer you to hospital long before you get to the point you or baby is in real danger.

I'm just going to add a couple of points.

Home Birth is factually as safe as a hospital birth, in terms of outcomes. IMO, I think it's safer - at home, they can't force you or pressure you in to interventions you don't need.

If you live close to a hospital (within half hour, blue-light transfer is surprisingly fast), then you have little to worry about. Even women who need an emergency c-section are rarely seen within 30 minutes. They have to prep the theatre, gather all the relevant teams, get you to sign consent and things.. That takes pretty much the same amount of time as a midwife to phone ahead, and transfer you in to a theatre prepped and waiting for you.

The hospital atmosphere is also proven to induce stress. When you're stressed and tense, you're in more pain. At home, you have competant midwives to attend you, all of your own things to comfort you and they're on YOUR turf. That means that you are in control. The first time you meet your child is one of the most personal experiences of your life and at home you can make it that way.

Why bring in a doctor before a doctor is needed? Unless an emergency is diagnosed, the people to rely on are the midwives - the women experience in normal and natural childbirth. Good Luck! :flow:

Thank you, I was planning on a home birth but I wasn't sure it was the best option because all I want is for my baby to be safe and healthy and I didn't really know which would be the best. But you have put my mind at ease so thanks :) xxx

Thank you, I was planning on a home birth but I wasn't sure it was the best option because all I want is for my baby to be safe and healthy and I didn't really know which would be the best. But you have put my mind at ease so thanks :) xxx

No problem :) Good luck for your birth, I hope it goes wonderfully x

I would recommend you get hold of the book The Father's Homebirth Handbook. There's a great chapter on risk in there. A very basic summary would be:
All of the studies done (which cover tens of thousands of women) show that homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for a normal pregnancy. Yes, there is a tiny risk that there'll be a bad outcome that wouldn't have happened in hospital, but, importantly, there's the same risk with a hospital birth that there'll be a bad outcome that wouldn't have happened at home (normally related to interventions etc that wouldn't have been done if mother had been at home).

ETA: C-sections don't happen instantly even in a hospital, they have to prep the room and find the anaesthetist for a start, both of which they could be doing while you transferred. Most "emergency" c-sections are also not actually an emergency, as such, that's just the word they use for unplanned c-sections. It's often 15 or 20 minutes at least even in serious cases from when the decision is made to when the surgery is started (because of the aforementioned finding of staff and prepping of room, as well as prepping of patient), and I know I, for example, can get to my local hospital in less time that that.

I will try and find that book :) thank you for your help, I wasn't 100% sure which I should choose for the best outcome, but now I think I have made my mind up and just need to check everything would be ok with MW :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->