Unusual boys names - what could I Google (e.g. literary/mythological etc)

Lara310809

Mum of 3 girls
Reaction score
We're looking for a boys' name, but we don't want something run-of-the-mill. We want something that stands out, but not something so out there that he'd be bullied.

I am liking Grey... OH likes Darwin. I don't know how I feel about Darwin.

I was looking at literary names, and historical names, mythological names etc. What else could I search for? I thought maybe artists, explorers, inventors, writers, scientists...

Any suggestions on Google searches?

Alternatively, if you want to suggest some names, feel free :)

presidential names are always strong like:

Kennedy
Lindon
Lincoln
Franklin

biblical names can work, like

Cyrus
Azriel
Able

Egyptian names, like:

Achillas
Djet
Kamose
Khyan
Paser

ect...

First off just wanna let you know that Grey is an awesome name, but is quickly becoming quite popular here in the US (Grayson/Greyson anyways).

https://moms.popsugar.com/100-Unusual-Boy-Names-27335004 was extremely helpful and where I am getting this information from.

Apparently names starting with S, U, W, and X are VERY unusual, as they are not listed on the top 1000 Social Security Administration page!!! This surprises me since I can think of a few names that could be on there, such as Xavier, Xandon, Shane, Shawn, Sheldon, Wren, Waldon,...

Some of there suggestions that I like enough to suggest to you:

Alfred, Arlo, Brysen, Braylin, Crew, Coen, Cayson, Darryl, Devan, Davon, Deon, D'angelo, Flynn, Gaige, Gibson, Graysen, Houston/Hugh, Howard, Haiden, Hendrix, Jaylon, Jakobe/Jaycob (I personally prefer Jakeb), Joziah, Jeramiah, Keon/Kian/Keyon, Kael, Kingsley, Kamren, Kohen, Leighton, Legend, Lathan, Miller, Maxton, Maxx, Maksim, Malaki, Roderick, Ross, Reuben, Ralph, Thaddeus, Trystan, Tyrese, Vaughn, Valentine, Zaire, Zackery, Zeke

I love surfing Nameberry.com. They have some awesome blogs and lists of unusual and interesting names from history, mythology, and different cultures. It's like a giant rabbit hole I fall into for hours! I just keep clicking on links and find the coolest things. Here are some I just found:

Mythology:
Eros
Ajax
Aries
Castor
Evander
Jasper
Jove
Odysseus
Percival
Perseus
Thor (I have a nephew named Thor, and it actually really fits him. He's lucky, though.)

Nature Names (unusual)
Cormac
Danner
Lennox

Historical Names
Abner
Augustine
Cornelius
Ephraim
Ford
Simeon
Gideon

As one of the other poster said; Franklin is a cool name, my son is named this and I only ever get positive comments on it. :thumbup: I also really like their suggestion of Lincoln too.

Thanks ladies :) yeah I know Greyson is common in the US, but in the UK it's not, and over here (a British territory but multicultural), I've never heard of it being used, so I think we'd be safe in that respect. I'd only want to use Grey though.

Ill have Look at the lists you've given me, thank you :)

It might not appeal but if we were having a blue bundle he would have been Deacon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->