Up every hour HELP!!

Bumblebee24

Mummy July 2014 Rainbow
Reaction score
Not reallt sure where to post this; Ok so my daughter is 6 days old, I am expressing as she really isn't taking to the breast she's tiny 5lb 9oz. I am also doing a couple of formular feeds at night. She's up every other hour too feed, so we increased her feed which made no difference as she was sick after every big feed.
I know she's pretty brand new but am reading that mist babies get up for a feed every 3-4 hours not every hour, please help :-/

They're all different. Both my kids fed around the clock for the first few weeks and didn't sleep for longer than an hour or two at a time.it took until around 5-6 weeks before they would sleep 3-4 hour stretches at night.

It's normal I'm afraid hun, newborns have tiny tiny tummies and especially as your baby is so tiny hers will be even tinier. She will only be able to manage a small amount of milk at a time and will digest it quickly as she'll be growing so fast. Being tired is horrendous, it does pass though, try and get as much support as you can xx

The three hourly feeding thing is really a best case scenario, it's perfectly normal for babies to be feeding constantly for the first few weeks. Mine didn't really stretch out her feeds past 3 hours until around 6 months! She was a major comfort feeder and grazer, though, so not necessarily the norm. Just giving an example of how different babies can be.

Totally normal! Google cluster feeding if you haven't heard of it, basically a newborn will feed almost constantly for a block of time (maybe 4-5hours) most days/evenings to help with building your milk supply. Plus there are lots of growth spurts in the first month.

It will pass but in the meantime get some DVDs and snacks and settle in for the long haul!

My dd is nearly 4 months now and even though it was exhausting at the time the newborn constant feeding cycle feels like a distant memory!

Stick with it, it really does get easier!

Thanks ladies looks like we'll have to stick with it for the time being then. The midwife came today & she now weighs 5lb 13oz so she's put on 4oz in 5 days very cleaver girl x

Every baby is different. We got lucky with DS1, for the first week he fed constantly all night, then settled down to three hourly feedings and slept through (11 - 5) at eight weeks. DS2 however goes four hours for the first chunk of sleep, then wakes two hourly after that, until about 4am, then it's hourly until breakfast time. During the day he goes anywhere from 1 to 3 hours between.

I agree it's pretty normal. With my daughter I was up every 1-2 hrs. I even set my alarm at first to wake her and make sure she ate every two hours when she was brand new until we established a pattern and she was feeding well and gaining weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->