*UPDATED* Positive Mirena IUD experience

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
:hi: I am going to document my experience using the hormonal coil (the Mirena IUD). I have thought long and hard about getting it. I've also been researching it. I have read a lot of bad things and a lot of good things about it. But mostly I wanted to share this journey with other ladies because during my search, I didn't find a lot of solid stories with follow-ups and outcomes. I want to help others by sharing this.

First off, you should know that I am not getting this for birth control. :nope: it will be for balancing out my hormonal imbalances as well as helping :witch: she has always been very cruel to me. I would have longer cycles (32-36 days). I do have an issue w progesterone as I only have a 9-10 day luteal phase and I don't ovulate until very late in my cycle (CD 21-26 with it usually coming around CD 22). I have an estrogen dominance too and bc of that my periods are God awful. They last 7-8 days and are heavy flow for at least 5-6 days. I usually have to wear both a heavy duty tampon and a heavy flow pad with wings during those days just so I don't ruin my clothing. The cramps and pain are very debilitating. I also break out badly w acne and suffer worse from depression around the time AF is due. (I currently take 100 mg of Zoloft due to PPD).

I am a breastfeeding mum as well. My nursling just turned 1 year old a week ago. Though my cycles have not fully returned yet, I am fairly certain I ovulated within the last couple of days. So the mean witch will be back soon. I think.

As I stated, I don't need this for BC as my husband had a vasectomy last year. We have three very young children and MCed our first baby. Needless to say are family is complete. But even though I'm not getting the coil for BC,i figure documenting my experience will still be helpful for those using it for that purpose.

I will try to update regularly. My first appt is this Wednesday at 8am EST. It is just a consult and not the actual fitting. I will update then :)

UPDATE

Waiting for my consult appt right now. It is just to see if I qualify for the IUD, I don't think it it requires a physical exam. We shall see. Update to come.

I also had the mirena for medical reasons. I have PCOS and don't ovulate. My body constantly produces oestrogen and the lining builds up and up before I get a horrendous two week bleed with 3-4 days if 'flooding'. It would affect every aspect if my life, I'd wear dark bottoms and keep spare clothes in my car.

This was discovered during fertility treatment as well as the lining constantly building leading to hyperplasia, specifically atypical type which is considered pre cancerous.

I had the mirena inserted. It was ok, uncomfortable but not painful. I could feel the strings but hubby couldn't. I had 6 weeks of annoying spotting then no periods for 8 months until it was removed. After such a horrible time I felt I could get my life back.

I'm to go again for another one in a few weeks to prevent the hyperplasia but would definitely choose it again.

Good luck, I'll let you know how I get on too.

So basically I get weighed and taken back to the GYN room.

I sat down on the chair (not the bed) and the nurse took my blood pressure and handed my three leaflets. PB was 110/61. She asked which IUD I thought I wanted and said there were three options. (The Copper IUD/hormone free coil, called ParaGuard. The Mirena IUD, the hormonal coil. And the third option was a newer one called Skyla. It is a hormonal IUD, very similar to the Mirena but it is a little smaller and has a slightly less progestin in it thus it is only good for three years as opposed to the Mirena being good for 5 yrs and the copped IUD 10-12 years. I believe the Skyla is intended for females that have never given birth before, however, it is still an option.

After speaking w the nurse we both agreed the Mirena is the best choice for me. (My uterus is a little larger than most due to having four pregnancys, 3 viable, in the last four years). So w the Mirena being bigger than the Skyla, it would fit better in my uterus.

Next, she took some general info such as my LMP (which was almost two years ago as I am still BFing my 12 month old). She asked about meds I am on (Zoloft for PPD and Levothyoxrine for Hypothyroidism and PP Thyroiditis. My allergy a included Reglan (an anti nausea med) and Amoxicillin (a penicillin based antibiotic). She noted that and said that's okay.

Next she told me to have a look are through the various options until the APRN came in. I had a look through and maintained my stance on getting the Mirena.
Then Maegan came in (the AP RN that is the consultant for the IUD). I was asked if a student resident could accompany her. I said yes. The student observed and listened. During different points of the consult Maegan told the student various tips and pointers. I thought it was interesting and actually feel as if I benefited bc now I know a little more of the medical and process behind the IUD.
Anyways, we discussed my periods, all of the risks. And how it could benefit me.

Some of the risks included small ones and big ones. I'll go ahead and list as many as I can think of but I'm not a doctor and this list is incomplete, I am sure. The bigger risks are scary but are far less likely to occur.

Possible RISKS:

Discomfort w insertion
Cramping
Spotting
Irregularity for 3-6 months w AF
Acne
Mood changes
Libido changes
Ectopic pregnancy risk (less than 1%)
IUD pregnancy (again very low)
Ovarian cysts
It may expel (fall out)
A small risk of PID
If pregnancy occurs, a large risk of MC
IUD putting a hole in the uterus and getting into the abdominal cavity requiring surgical removal (EXTREMELY EXTremly rare! Worst case scenario. Very unlikely)
A small possibility of reduced milk supply. (There have been a few reports but not many especially in comparison to BCPs)
A very small amount of levengesterol (the progestin in it) may get into breastmilk.
A small amount of ppl gain weight
Breakthrough spotting
Back ache

Possible BENEFITS:
Lighter periods
No periods
Less cramping
Decreased blood loss
Stop Anemia
Increase iron if anemia due to bad periods
Help w hormonal imbalance for those that have it
Highly effective BC
Safe whilist BFing
Good option for nursing moms
Estrogen free BC
Less PMS symptoms are possible
Long term
Nothing to remember to do, it's just there and does its job mindlessly.
May relieve endometriosis issues
A small amount of ppl lose weight.

I am sure I am missing some but I've got to tend to the nursling. :lol: as I said the list is incomplete but that's all I can remember for now. I'll get back and complete my consult experience

So after we went in depth about the risks and benefits as well as concerns that I have she showed me the device. I was able to see how it fits in the uterus w a model she has. I was able to feel it too. It is very little and light weight. She educated me on the different parts of the actual Mirena as well as the tools she will need to use to insert it. She described the insertion process and how she would create as sterile an environment as possible.

I expressed my concerns about my uterine position and the horror stories I have read. My uterus is tipped back (retroverted) and leans to the left. I also asked how the IUD would work given my sever pelvic organ prolapse (2nd degree uterine, bladder, and recital prolapse). She did not believe it would make things worse. Maegan told me if the IUD caused discomfort or abnormal symptoms or how long those symptoms last she would preform an ultrasound to check position and that sort.

Overall she thought I would be a great candidate for the Mirena. I asked if endometriosis would need to be scientifically Dx. She said no unless the Mirena doesn't clear up my menstrul issues. If it doesn't they would do exploratory surgery. She seemed extremly hopeful that this would be a terrific thing for me BS w my hormonal imbalanceninwill probably benefit
Moreso than ladies without these sorts of issues.

I decided I would go for it. They have to check my insurance and see what is covered (I live in the USA). Then I would notified and can schedule insertion when I start my period. I told her I hadn't had a period yet as I am nursing however I think I will see (I knew I was ov.ing). She said bc my husband had a vasectomy over a yr ago and was cleared that I wouldn't have to come in during AF but did warn the discomfort may be increased. They like to do it during your period as your cervix is open a bit.

I'll be back for another update about my insurance coverage and upcoming appt :)

My OBGYN office contacted my insurance. Then the office called me. They said I would owe $111, which would have to be paid in full before insertion. It would could have been more expensive but because I had already met my deductable for the 2014 year, I would only need to pay 10% of it.

I called my insurance directly to find out. I was taken back at the price bc I had thought that under the new Obama Care laws that birth control was 100% covered :shrug: so I contacted them. They verified everything my OBGYN office said. Without insurance the device and follow ups would cost almost $1000. Had I not met my deductible or if I wait until Jan 1st 2015 then I would have to pay my deductable ($600) followed by 10% remained fee. So it would be more expensive if I waited. So I will have to pay the $111 if I get it this calendar yr

Unfortunately, I didn't know it would cost that much :(
I asked the office if they would insert it and do payment plans. They refused :(
They did say I could make $25 payments every week and then once it was paid in full, I would have to await my next period. ...considering that my cycles havnt totally come back yet, and that I'm nursing there's a chance my period will show up irregularly. So on to plan B. I could either use a credit card or I could use my flex spending account (FSA or HSA). We used all of our FSA for the year so I have to pay on credit if I want it now. Which is what I will grudgingly do.

To American ladies, your insurance may be different. I implore you to contact ur insurance directly, even if your OBGYN says. Also, your insurance may cover it in full or a portion of it. It will vary depending what coverage you have.

To all other ladies from different countries, I don't know how it works there. I reckon it would be free of charge but I could be wrong. I don't know
How universal healthcare works exactly.

Good luck all!

My first period PP arrived! Which I am so happy about! I am nervous about the pain...really nervous. Maegan thought I would do great and joked around seeing how I delivered three babies med free :blush:
I guess it just seems so unnatural to have something going "up there" - the wrong direction! Lol but she seemed to think I would be fine.

Anyways, I'm on day two of AF. They like to insert on day 3. I called and scheduled insertion for tomorrow at 11:15am. Maegan will preform it. I was very happy to get her bc she is highly experienced and has seen many different types of women and delt w various uterine differences. Ladies, I cannot say this enough, the experience level of your nurse/doc will be the one largest factor on the IUD success. IMO, if there is a best way to set yourself up for a good experience, it would be to "shop around" and get someone that knows their stuff and has inserted a bazillion of these things. Seriously. The unlucky ladies that get uterine proliferation or IUD misplacements or horrible insertion experiences are general bc of the person doing the insertion. Sure things can happen even w the best nurse but for most the experience of the medical provider will be your defining point. GO TO SOMEONE WELL EXPERIENCED AND KNOWLEDGEABLE

okay, off my soap box :haha: anyways, I am going to get it tomorrow. I am told to take 600mg of Ibuprofen 30-45 minutes before my appt.

And that's all they said.

I am so nervous!!!!! And my ILs will be in town tomorrow too
And I so hope I'm not confind to the couch and a heating pad!

Also, I decided that I would use EPO for my cervix. Obviously they didn't mention anything about EPO but when I took it to
Soften my cervix during pregnancy, it worked sooooo well. So I'm gonna start taking that right now and hope that it helps for tomorrow :)

Hopefully u can't overdose on cervical suppository EPOs :haha: I just placed 5 capsules up there. 5000 mg worth. That's a lot more than I took during pregnancy but since I'm not expecting I doubt its harmful. Hope I'm not wrong lol. I'll continue to put More in as the day and night go.

I wish I would have thought of this sooner. Ladies, if u have a Rough idea of your AF and when it will start, id suggest starting it a week or two ahead of insertion, that way u can be sure ur cervix is soft. This is just my personal experience NOT medical advice :flower:

Hopefully this helps.

Today is the day! Kind of nervous!
DH is taking me for brunch w the kids beforehand. I am feeling so nauseous right
Now.

Last night I out five more EPO capsules in.
Took a shower this AM and did not insert anymore. (If the capsules aren't dissolved by my appt that could be embarrassing :blush:

I'll be taking 600mg of Ibuprofen fourth five min before the appt. Appt is at 11:15. I'm taking it at 10:30.

It's all kind of embarassing bc its that time of the month and today happens to be a seriously heavy day. I am a little worried over being in stirrups without a tampin or bad in. This mornig I was trimming my lady garden and a lot Came out. I estimated around 60mL in less that two min. I really hope that doesn't happen at the appt.

Wish me luck!

I'm in the waiting room right now.
I'm nervous bc I took the Ibuprofen at 10:20am and its 11:05 (my appt is at 11:15). I still have bad AF cramps. It seems as if the meds havnt kicked in yet. :/

IUD insertion was rescheduled as I had a confirmed chemical MC. A bit of a shock but also heartbreaking :cry:

I go Monday to get it now.

Today i went back to my OBGYN to get the Mirena placed. This time i took 800mg of IBprofin bc on friday i only took 600mg and it did nothing for me! (i had terrible AF cramps that day and i was in ppretty bad pain an hour after i took it) so this time i took a little more. unfortunatly i wasn't able to take it as early as i wanted, about a half hour before the appt, but the appt went fine anyways. if i were giving advice on when to take it, i would suggest 1 hour before the appt, but thats just me!

they checked my weight and BP first. BP was very high for me, 149/90 :shock: this was due to the fact that i was so nervous! all of those google horror stories had me so worked up! but as it turns out, that anxiety was all for nothing as the insertion was easy peasy! a little uncomfortable but nothing extreme or unmanageable!

the nurses aid gave me a Mirena appointment card (ill upload a pic later). its just for in my wallet and i can add all of the visits i will need in the future to it. she went over my records real quick and then stepped out as she told me to undress from the waist down, put the drape over me, and sit on the bed.

after a couple of minutes the doc came in. she mentioned about the chemical pregnancy and then asked if i had anymore questions about the iud. Maegan (the nurse that was supposed to do the insertion was out sick today, so i had a different doctor) i was nervous as i wasnt sure how experienced this lady would be, but she did terrific! and in fact, i previously expressed my concerns to the nurses aid and she said Dr. Arnold is def the best one to have especially with my anatomical issues (pelvic organ prolapse and retroverted uterus) bc she has loads of challenging experiences and does well w those.

one question i had was pertaining to being GBS+ both in my recent pregnancy and when i was PP. i asked her if that could cause infection into the uterus, but she assured me that everyone naturally has group B strep in the vagina, so that is a small risk to anyone really but is an extremely unlikely side effect.

due to my irregularity of my anatomy, she did a pelvic exam first. it did not hurt. she put lubrication n her fingers and told me exactly what she was doing. she felt my cervix and funal height of the uterus. she explained that uterine position can actually change from time to time. much to my surprise my uterus is now midway anterior. so mine was in a different spot. which im sure helped w the success of the placement, but i had full confidence in her either way, though a bit nervous as i didnt really know what to expect!
next she felt my cervix and said that i was 1 fingertip to 1CM dilated. this would make her job easier! i am on day 6 of my period and not having as many cramps today and my flow has lightened up a lot, so i was nervous she would manually need to dilate me more than she would have if i had the procedure done the previous friday (i had wicked horrible cramps and super heavy flow that day).

next she did the actual insertion.

The procedure itself took only a couple of minutes. it was fast and smooth.
the first thing she did was added more lubrication to my vagina. then she inserted the sterile speculum (the device to open up your lady parts). After that she asked me if i was allergic to the cleaner they use to clean your cervix. it is similar to iodine but i cant remember the actual name. i said no, didnt think so. She took her sterile Q-tip and applied the mixture to my vagina and cervix.
During the entire procedure she was sure to tell me exactly what she was doing. i liked that. it calmed me down and helped me to cop w my anxiety. after the cleanser was applied, i could feel a little leak out of me :blush: at first i was embarrassed but she didnt mention anything or seem to care. i reckon that is quite typical.

once all of that was taken care of, she used this really long rod looking thing. i believe it is called a sound device. it was about as thick as a pencil, maybe a tad smaller. it is probably abut a foot long, maybe less. She measured my uterus with is, as to make sure the IUD would be placed into the proper area safety. She also had to use it to help dilate me manually. this sounds scary but it was no big deal! just felt like a cervical check, actually even more gentle than that, i would say! When she inserted the sound device, it was an odd feeling. a little pressure-no pain- kind of felt like an eye twitch only in my womb lol. sort of like a tickle i suppose.

after she took the measurements and got a better idea of my uterine and cervical placements, she decided she would use a clamp to steady my cervix. the clamp was the worst part IMO, but it was very manageable! it really just felt like a bit of pressure, maybe a tiny burning pinch, but it literally lasted about 5 seconds and then stopped. the clamp was used to hold the cervix in the proper place. once that was on the sensation went away. next she inserted the IUD. She told me each step along the way. When she said she inserted i was quite surprised as a i didnt feel any pain or sensations right at that very moment. but about 10 seconds later, she released the IUD arms (the bit that makes it shaped like a "T" and my uterus begin to tighten. i said this feels like a labor contraction! she said, yes that is exactly what your uterus is doing bc there is an unknown object in there. after about 40 seconds, the contraction stopped and i was totally pain free. The tightening was a little painful but it wasn't anything crazy. all extremely manageable and not a big deal whatso ever.

After that she removed the device that actually inserts the IUD and she was all done! easy peasy and very quick. like i said, i think the entire thing took a couple of minutes. most of it didn't hurt at all, felt very similar to a pap smear. and the bits that were a little uncomfortable were only a few seconds as well as very managable. i did feel slightly dizzy once the IUD was totally inserted. i didn't hurt or feel anything down there, but for some reason i did get a little light headed and dizzy for about a minute. then it stopped. she asked me how i felt. i felt fine so i slowly sat up. once i sat up i got light headed and dizzy again, but this time only for a couple of seconds. after that i was golden and felt great!

after the doc completed the IUD insertion, she told me that i should not put anything in the vagina for 4-5 days (no tampons, fingers, male parts :blush: etc). This is to keep the risk of infection away as i am still open down there. once that time frame is up i can :sex: and use tampons, etc.

she explained that breakthrough bleeding or spotting is all normal and could last 3-6 months and not to freak out thinking im pregnant if i dont get a period :lol: bleeding for a little while can be normal, however, should not ever be heavy and if that happens im to come back for a visit.

i asked her what i could expect as far as bleeding goes. i told her this is my first AF PP due to breastfeeding. she mentioned that it is hard to know how ppl will react, but she seemed to think my breakthrough bleeds wouldn't be as much as most others since my uterine lining is probably a lot thinner than ladies who have had regular periods.

i asked her if hubby could feel the strings. she showed me on a picture what length my strings were cut to. she said my husband may or may not notice being poked. most men dont but there is a good chance my cervical fluids will soften the strings up and usually they will curl behind the cervix, which means the man wont feel poking. if all else fails i can come back and she will cut the strings shorter. she said most do not have an issue at all w them.

after that she handed me my check out papers. suggested taking 600-800mg of advil every 4ish hours for the next couple of days. said it was fine to take whilist bfing. then she told me i need to come back in 5 weeks to have my strings and iud checked. i am to check the strings monthly, but they want me to come back just to do a check up on things and see how im getting along. if all goes well at that appt then i only need to get it checked once per year or if im having some issue w it.

most of my AF cramping and bleeding were begining to tapper off prior to the insertion appt. but about 20 minutes afterwards i had some light cramping. felt like regular menstrual cramps but i think the iud insertion caused it. which was to be expected and nothing unbareable. just felt like AF.

about an hour or so after, i started getting little twinges in my uterus whilist sitting down. not painful, kind of felt like baby flutters. i am still cramping, a little moreso than early, but it just feels like period cramps. I went to the loo and had some dark red blood. So the spotting picked up but I'm not surprised. Nothing too heavy.

everything else is going well! a bit of a hot flash but nothing crazy. i will be planning on taking the meds around the clock as previouosly suggested, but so far, so good!

my experience to date has been good. nothing crazy scary or horrible like google had me believing! so far i feel great and im happy that i went through with it. it really was not a big deal whatsoever! to anyone scared of insertion, dont be! not everyone will have as good as an apppt as i did, but i really had a lot of anxiety built up over noothing! it wasn't a big deal and it really wasn't that painful. if yoou have ever had a baby or a period, you will probably do just fine!

UPDATE: 6:30pm

I'm about 3 hours out from insertion. Cramps stopped and I'm feeling good. :) I havnt taken any Ibuprofin yet. I probably should take it as a prevention measure. But as far as taking it for current pain, I don't have any ATM :dance:
Bleeding increased only slightly. It comes out from down below a but heavy but only when I wipe. The blood is dark red, Dexter style lol, but I wouldn't even consider it a heavy flow. If say light flow w thick dark red blood (not clots).

UPDATE: 7pm. Decided to alternate pain meds. Took 500mg of acetametaphin for prevention purposes. I currently have no pain and would like to keep it that way :lol:

UPDATE: 8:30pm ~ 6.5 hours out from insertion.
Cramping came back. Feels like AF cramps on a heavy flow day. Blood is the same as before except there were some very small clots (think the size of a pen tip). Pain isn't unbearable but I don't think the 500mg of acetametaphin did much. The Ibuprofin worked a lot better. Or perhaps if I take more than 500mg of acetametaphin I wouldn't feel this way. It is not a horrible cramping session but could do without ;) added to say I have a hot flash again :blush:

UPDATE: 9:30pm~ 7.5 hours out from insertion.
Laid back on the recliner. Cramps went away :)

UPDATE: 10:35pm~ 8.5 hours out from insertion.
I am feeling great! Off to bed for the night. No cramps or discomfort :)

I have heard one common compliant of Mirena being weight gain or trouble losing weight. This will be different for everyone but for my own records I would like to express that my current weight 181lbs according to my home scale and in my birthday suite :blush: And the OBGYNs scale says I weight 185lbs (with clothing and knee high boots on).

I have been on weight watchers since August. Some weeks I lose 1-3lbs. Other weeks I gain weight. (So that's what happened pre Mirena). I will track my weight experience during my time w this IUD and see what happens for me. Thought it would be interesting. Or helpful to see over time. I will continue on Weight Watchers (I'm down ~28lbs since my highest weight and ~10lbs since I restarted weight watchers. My goal weight is 130lbs and realistically that will happen around Sept 2015.

So Day 1= 181lbs

Stalking... I hope you continue to have a great experience!

I am feeling great this morning. No symptoms right now although last night I had a lot of odd dreams, however, I don't think it was related to the IUD as this has been happening for the last five nights.

The only other thing that I noticed was this weird pinching sensation in my right thigh. I don't know if that had anything to do w the IUD or not. I was
Able to sleep it off tho. It wasn't painful just more of an annoyance. It lasted from around 8pm until about midnight.

So far, so good :) I havnt had any cramping since that update last night. It is 8am (so about 18 hours out from insertion) and I don't have any pains. I havnt taken any pain meds since last night either. I will take it preventatively as soon as I get ready for the day tho.

UPDATE: 8:30am (~18.5 hours out from insertion)
Very mild cramping begun after waking up. It didn't start until I say down. Last night I noticed sitting down brought on slight cramping too. So for me, laying down relieves that. Sitting down causes it. This may not happen to everyone. Funny thing is that is exactly how my BHs were during late pregnancy w DD! Anyways, it is nothing horrid but something worthy to note that positions seem to have some sort of minor effect in the early days.

Also, I used the ladies room upon waking. Bleeding has been reduced by about 50% since yesterday. Granted I was obviously laying down all night so that could be why, but it has def lightened up in both flow and color. Now it has a little more brown to he to it. It is still red but not that gory red that I had yesterday. I also didn't see as much blood in the toilet upon urinating and there were no. Tiny clots like last night. See more in the new post below about the bleeding

UPDATE: ~9:00am (~ 19 hours out from insertion). Minor period like cramps. Could be due to the position changes I mentioned in my previous update. Could also just be due to the fact that I havnt taken any pain meds since last night. I just took 600mg of Motrin, as directed by my physician.

UPDATE: 9:30am (~19.5 hours out from insertion). Period cramps kicked up a tad. Nothing insane, but notciable. Sitting down really seems to Piss this thing off :lol: it isn't horrible but just commenting bc the Motrin hasn't seemed to kick in yet. It's only been a half hour tho, so I'm sure it will soon. It is all managable and nothing more than feeling like a period however I would highly recommend taking pain meds around the clock and preventatively for the first couple of days. I am a crunchy type and don't typically like taking meds, especially whilist BFing, but I think it is worth it for this. Don't wait until u get cramps, just take the meds regularly like u would for afterbirth pains. Also, the right thigh pinching pain that I combined about earlier is back. It is an odd sensation. I don't know if pain is the word as it's just more an annoyance than anything, but it did creep back. It is kind of like a pressure/tightening feeling. It is comparable to how your muscles may feel during a good muscle resistance workout. I am sitting down. That must have something to do w it.

UPDATE: 10:30am (20.5 hours since insertion).
Feeling terrific! The funky thigh pressure went away. The cramps went away. I have one small (very small) spot of light red blood on my panty liner. Almost not even heavy enough to warrent a pad but kept it in just in case. At my last bathroom visit there was hardly any blood in the toilet. A couple of very small clots (maybe the size of a pencil point) but that was it. I would say the bleeding since yesterday is now about 85% reduced. I do still have quite a bit when I wipe but the color has lightened some, it's not as thick, and there isn't nearly as much. This seems to be going well!

As a note, today is CD 7, I believe. As I prior stated, my flows are nasty and usually last 7-8 days. Had I not had the IUD placed I would expect today or tomorrow to be my last day of my period. I would expect a little less bleeding at this point if I hadn't Had it inserted but it's actually not too much more w it than what I would expect without it. Maybe in the ball park of 30% more bleeding w than I would expect without the IUD. So in reality, at this point in time, the IUD has made very little impact in terms of increased bleeding (for today, it was a little more excessive last night but nothing out of the ordinary or cause for concern). As for today and CD7, it is only minimually more blood than I would have otherwise anticipated with the IUD.

UPDATE: 2:00pm (24 hours out from insertion). I am feeling great! Don't even notice I have a foreign object in my uterus :haha: no cramping since this morning. Bleeding has lightened up even than earlier too. Now when I pee there is almost no blood in the toilet. In fact the only blood I've seen in the last three or so hours has only been upon wiping and there is only a few more spots on pad. It's so light now that icouldnuse probably wear a very thin panty liner and ditch the pad altogether :thumbup: no negative side effects right now. I have zero symptoms ATM :)

UPDATE: 3:45pm (almost 26 hours out from insertion)
I'm feeling good! No complaints. Forgot I even had an IUD there for a bit and was only subtly reminded when I went to the loo! I'm down to light spotting and a bit of light red/pink brown tinged blood upon wiping. Otherwise I wouldn't even call it a flow! I'm happy w this thing so far and the experience has been more pleasant than I anticipated. Nothing like the horror stories on google :comp:

UPDATE: 5:00PM (27 hours out from insertion)
Blood has decreased a lot of the course of today. I am officially only spotting upon using the paper. The blood has lightened a lot. It looks similar to lochea after birth but is not nearly as much. Very very little actually but similar in makeup and color. I am now using the very very thin panty liners (not a pad, the liners that are very thin and small). I dont even think i need that but just in case, i am going to use those for a bit. I hardly had any blood on my pad. I havn't had cramping since i took the motrin this morning. I do feel like the cramps are starting to come back though so i am going to take some acetametaphin just to be on the safe side, but honestly i think the worst has passed and i dont expect needing to take pain meds after this.

UPDATE: 7:00PM (29 hours out from insertion)
Still feeling terrifically normal! I forgot to take the pain relief meds :dohh: fortunately i havn't been in any type of pain or cramping! So thats great news! I havn't taken any meds since 9:30 this morning! (so its been about 10-11 hours) and im feeling good! I may not need to continue on the meds as im sure the motrin wore off several hours ago. i will play it by ear. I still say take the meds around the clock the first 24 hours, at least, maybe even longer, but now that im past the 24 hour mark, it would seem im getting along just fine without :)

UPDATE: 10:00pm (32 hours out from insertion)
I have not taken any pain relief since this
Morning. No cramping. As of 9pm I don't even have a flow anymore :) no blood in the toilet and no blood on my liner :) just a tad when I used the paper. It is very light light spotting I imagine it will be done w by tomorrw (at least for now that is)
My only real compliant is that I have a headache. It could be from te IUD but actually I think I'm in the early stages of a sinus infection as my allergys are acting up. But I will see what happens. It could be Mirena related but it really feels like a sinus infection so I don't think it is from the IUD but I'll follow up later :) overall still really happy w me experience so far :)

The bleeding hasn't been horrible. My period was begining to tapper off pre IUD insertion. I only needed a thin liner and had just a few spots.
Post insertion, the bleeding picked up marginally. I had a little more blood on my pad but it was only a little. I had more bleeding upon urinating and wiping than I did before the insertion, however it was nothing heavy. The blood was dark/bright red after and still is, but it's not a crazy flow at all. I did have minor small (very small) blood clots, but nothing crazy. Since
About 8 hours after insertion I havnt had any clots at all. As well, I have not even had to change my pad yet. In fact I am now 18.5 hours and I still have the same pad on that was placed prior to the insertion. The only reason I am changing it is to decrease the risk of infection, if it wernt for that I wouldn't even need to change it right now. In fact I would say the bleeding has reduced by about 50% already.

UPDATE: see my 10:30am update from the previous post :thumbup:
UPDATE: see also my 2pm update from the previous post :thumbup:
UPDATE: see also my 3:45pm update from the previous post :thumbup:
UPDATE: see also my 5:00pm update from the previous post :thumbup:
UPDATE: see also my 10pm update from the previous post :thumbup:

No. My IUD did not fall out, move, become uncomfortable, cramp, contract, or expel during the first poo :lol: just thought id mention it as I know some become worried about that happening when bearing down :blush: and I'm happy/to report that even w bad prolapse, none of thy happened :winkwink: my prolapse has not been made worse by the Mirena coil. None of my symptoms have changed. I don't even notice that I have an IUD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->