*UPDATED* Positive Mirena IUD experience

Hello!

Been reading about your experience with mirena.... My OB has suggested it for me for birth control. Currently on yasmin, but need a more reliable method because I'm on a medication that reduces the effectiveness of the pill. 😳 and I don't want a 3rd! But I've literally been struggling with whether to have mirena implanted since Septempter 2014!!!! I've made countless appts and canceled them after reading about all the negative side effects it can possibly cause. I'm extremely interested to find out whether you have increased acne, increased weight gain (or difficultly losing weight), or increased moodiness with mirena. Drs will say it's so localized and only goes to the uterus, but so many women have these complaints! Anyway, I have to make my decision --- yesterday --- because my drs office only keeps my ordered mirena for 6 months and it's time up for me next week with my next period. I'm very very lost on what to do. And I did look into paragard and it was my first choice, but my dr and insurance doesn't use it or cover it. Seems they only want the hormone stuff put into our bodies. Thank you for making a post soley on your journey with mirena! -Heather.

Hi heather!
I say go for it. Worst thing happens, then get it removed if you have issues. The only thing I will say is please, if you get it, wait at least six months, if not longer before deciding to get It taken out. There is def an adjustment period and I see too many ppl giving up quickly before they see the full effect and change.

Weight gain: I've had none :) I am currently on Weight Watchers bc I've always been overweight due to an under active thyroid. I am losing now (w mirena) just as I have before getting it. So for me, I've had no negative effects w weight.

Acne: mine has actually cleared up! There are some reports out there of women actually seeing an improvement w that. Of course that depends on each body. And I do know that acne can be a common side effect. But I've actually seen an excellent improvement in my skin. Finally, at age 26, I no longer look like a teen face lol

Mood swings: I've seen an improvement w that too. Now that could be due to various things, like the fact that I'm being treated for PPD (for one year before getting the mirena) or bc my baby is STTN now, etc but my moods have actually improved. Also, PMS moods have been greatly improved.

For me personally, I have nothing bad to say about it. Now that's not to say everyone will think the same. I too read the bazillion negative experiences. I've sifted through google page after google page. I watched every review on YouTube. I was scared. Horrified. But finally I bit the bullet and now the only thing I regret is not getting it sooner!!
And if you are unlucky w it, just now that for the vast majority of negative side effects, they will reverse once it's removed. Now that's not to say there arnt really bad things that can happen that don't go away, but in the grand scheme of things, typically speaking they will go away. So worst case scenario, u get it taken out. But there's a good chance Ull love it too! A lot of ppl don't post their good experiences online, which is why I created this journal bc as I did my research I left petrified! Hardly read anything at all about how good it can be. It is one of the number BCs in the world, so I think a lot more ppl love it than hate it, and the ones that hate it are the only ones talking about it online.

Just MHO. Let me know what I decide :)

Any had paragard?? I had inserted in December and my period was terrible super bloody, ans have Brown discharg thruout the month is this normal, i know it takes time for ur body to get used to it,,,any experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->