UPDATED WITH PICS! The hook effect... exists?? right????

The hook effect is a phenomenon (supposedly its rare) where the concentration of the pregnancy hormone in your urine is so high that the test cant actually pick it up (i guess it just confuses it) I am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, I got normal progression in early pregnancy, but took a test yesterday that was light (when it should technically be SUPER dark)
The reason theres 4 tests is that apparently if you suspect your tests are light because your hormones are super high you should dilute your urine with water, therefore diluting the hormone to a level the tests can pick up appropriately. So I took one with 100% urine, one with 50% water and 50% urine- gets a little darker, 75% water 25% urine, then finally mostly water with just a tiny bit of urine in it- and this was my darkest positive :) Hope that helps!
ur a very good explainer. I get it. Thank you for taking the time to explain

Can I ask why u people do this in the first place? Like if they already know they are pregnant

I think women who have a history of losses do this to reassure themselves. I also think the pee stick addicts need a fix every now & again! I know for me I peed on so many tests it was like withdrawal when I ran out :haha:

Well I just found a pregnancy test in a bathroom cupboard that I had forgotten about- took it so I could see how dark the line was, and it wasn't very dark at all. I remembered reading about the hook effect and when people said it was a real thing- I decided to do my own experiment lol!
OK cool. Well that's a neat trick
I had my "confirmation of pregnancy" appt today. (I thought it was just my first appt :wacko:) They literally did a urine test & said "yup, you're pregnant, see you in 2 weeks!" I so badly wanted to ask to see it! The thought also crossed my mind to 'take' a test out of their drawer & play with it at home! If I had more test I'd use them!
Very neat experiment sarah! Thanks for sharing!
how many weeks are you?

The hook effect is a phenomenon (supposedly its rare) where the concentration of the pregnancy hormone in your urine is so high that the test cant actually pick it up (i guess it just confuses it) I am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, I got normal progression in early pregnancy, but took a test yesterday that was light (when it should technically be SUPER dark)
The reason theres 4 tests is that apparently if you suspect your tests are light because your hormones are super high you should dilute your urine with water, therefore diluting the hormone to a level the tests can pick up appropriately. So I took one with 100% urine, one with 50% water and 50% urine- gets a little darker, 75% water 25% urine, then finally mostly water with just a tiny bit of urine in it- and this was my darkest positive :) Hope that helps!
ur a very good explainer. I get it. Thank you for taking the time to explain

Can I ask why u people do this in the first place? Like if they already know they are pregnant

I think women who have a history of losses do this to reassure themselves. I also think the pee stick addicts need a fix every now & again! I know for me I peed on so many tests it was like withdrawal when I ran out :haha:

This makes a lot of sense. Ty. Was starting to psych myself out and ask my hubby for some tests before he came home today. But I will refrain. Might make me more crazy

Lol nilla, I think at 11 weeks and after a recent scan you are good :haha:
Deffo no testing required for you! :)

Sarah, love the hook effect example. I guess this is how people can test (like on 'didn't know I was pregnant') and think they are not pregnant when they actually are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->