Urgh, HPT lines not getting much darker

Calcifer

Reaction score
Hello lovely ladies, I took a First Response HPT on the day period was due (Sunday) and I got a squinter of a positive after 5 mins, but it was definitely a line. I took another First Response this morning with FMU and a line appeared in under 30 seconds, but it's still super faint :( I peed on an ovulation stick then this afternoon to see and it's positive. So I'm definitely pregnant. The question is, how pregnant am i really seeing as the line is still so faint.

I am just disappointed because i've had strong symptoms (nausea, boobs) so was expecting a very strong positive on the tests... FRER is supposed to be sensitive too.

Help? Anyone not getting strong positives and still carry a pregnancy? Or could this be a chemical? I'm like 4 weeks 3 days today. :blush:

Hi

I'm 5 weeks today. The first test I took was Super faint so I waited a few days and it was only slightly darker.
I'm not testing again as it will only worry me. I have all of the symptoms like you but just going to go with it.
The lines says pregnant so I'm going with that result.
I don't think I started getting darker lines till a lot later with my first, everyone's different.

Enjoy, happy & healthy 9 months :happydance:

Hi

I'm 5 weeks today. The first test I took was Super faint so I waited a few days and it was only slightly darker.
I'm not testing again as it will only worry me. I have all of the symptoms like you but just going to go with it.
The lines says pregnant so I'm going with that result.
I don't think I started getting darker lines till a lot later with my first, everyone's different.

Enjoy, happy & healthy 9 months :happydance:

Aw thanks and congratulations to you too! The funny thing is, with my first little one, I had only a faint positive like a week after i was due my period. I think i'm only bricking it because i had a MMC before christmas. I'm going to go with symptoms. And hope for the best too.

And this is why I've stopped myself from doing any more tests! Just remember, a positive is a positive. You're still really early, so lines may stay light for a bit. People have higher hormones at different times and it varies between pregnancies, and the tests may well vary in their sensitivity. My friend, when she got pregnant, had a negative in the mornings but positive in the evenings for a few days! Good luck, and try not to worry :) :hugs:

And this is why I've stopped myself from doing any more tests! Just remember, a positive is a positive. You're still really early, so lines may stay light for a bit. People have higher hormones at different times and it varies between pregnancies, and the tests may well vary in their sensitivity. My friend, when she got pregnant, had a negative in the mornings but positive in the evenings for a few days! Good luck, and try not to worry :) :hugs:

thank you that helps put things into perspective!

Also - First Response have a few different types of tests that have different sensitivity levels. There's First Response Early Response. First Response Rapid Result. And then I think just regular First Response. So you may be using a test that has a higher sensitivity level? Just a thought.

It's so hard not to worry about everything in those first few weeks, though. I totally understand. But the previous posters are right - you got your positive. Congrats! Best to you!

Also - First Response have a few different types of tests that have different sensitivity levels. There's First Response Early Response. First Response Rapid Result. And then I think just regular First Response. So you may be using a test that has a higher sensitivity level? Just a thought.

It's so hard not to worry about everything in those first few weeks, though. I totally understand. But the previous posters are right - you got your positive. Congrats! Best to you!

Thanks, yeah i have the one that's supposed to detect 6 days early!! So that's what's bugging me, i'm two days late and it's still super light, shouldn't it be good and strong on that high sensitivity test? Waah i have to just stop wondering and accept whatever this is.

That's so difficult, though.. Perhaps you could call your doctor and see if they could do a beta? Although I know sometimes they refuse the beta because of the whole "a positive is a positive". So frustrating. Hoping everything works out well for you!

Hello lovely ladies, I took a First Response HPT on the day period was due (Sunday) and I got a squinter of a positive after 5 mins, but it was definitely a line. I took another First Response this morning with FMU and a line appeared in under 30 seconds, but it's still super faint :( I peed on an ovulation stick then this afternoon to see and it's positive. So I'm definitely pregnant. The question is, how pregnant am i really seeing as the line is still so faint.

I am just disappointed because i've had strong symptoms (nausea, boobs) so was expecting a very strong positive on the tests... FRER is supposed to be sensitive too.

Help? Anyone not getting strong positives and still carry a pregnancy? Or could this be a chemical? I'm like 4 weeks 3 days today. :blush:

Hey hun congratulations on your :bfp: I wouldn't worry to much about the darkness as they said a positive is a positive. Also just some food for thought did you use the same type of test both days that you tested. That will have a variation on the darkness as well the type of test used. As pp said different test have different minimum sensitivity levels. If you wait a couple days and the test still don't seem to be getting significantly darker than I would suggest giving the doctor a call for quantitative HCGs so they can monitor the doubling. My ob told me that urine test aren't a good way to determine proper doubling because they are simply made for yes or no... hope this helps

Thanks Rockstar, yes it was the exact same test. The only difference is that the positive line appeared much quicker this morning than it did on Sunday. But the colour wasn't super darker... Yeah, I'm seeing GP tomorrow anyway as i have a thyroid issue that needs monitoring so i'll ask then.

Thanks Rockstar, yes it was the exact same test. The only difference is that the positive line appeared much quicker this morning than it did on Sunday. But the colour wasn't super darker... Yeah, I'm seeing GP tomorrow anyway as i have a thyroid issue that needs monitoring so i'll ask then.

I work in a lab and that's actually a good sign that the lines are appearing quicker that's a good sign for rising hcg just like darker lines. Like I said early it really depends on the sensitivity of the test as far the darkness of the test good luck with your appt tomorrow.

So glad you already have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Hmm, when I was pregnant with my third baby, I tested every day from 7DPO and didn't get a positive until I was 5 weeks along (21DPO)! So, I was still getting negatives at your stage, not even squinters, although I had all the symptoms and knew I was pregnant! It drove me nuts! I'm not sure it necessarily means anything. My third baby is now 2 1/2, but I was so worried about getting such a late BFP and did not think the pregnancy was viable. Oh, but it was. :)

First off, congrats on your BFP! Keep in mind that hcg takes 48 hours to double so if you got your first positive and then tested again the next day I wouldn't expect much line darkness variation. It can take a couple of days to notice the lines getting significantly darker! Mine didn't get quite dark until I was 4 1/2 weeks probably. I got my bfp really early at like 10dpo. I wasn't comfortable with my lines tho until I had waited about a week from my first test. I'll post a picture of what my tests looked like so you can get an idea.

Also just keep in mind 2 things: a positive is a positive. If you got a second line: you are pregnant and congrats!! And secondly if you are going to have a chemical/miscarriage it is going to happen regardless of anything you do and that's why doctors suggest waiting until at least the day of your expected period.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads