US Disposable Diapering Families

Margerle

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been talking to DH for the last 4 months (or more) about cloth diapering this LO. I did my research, I crunched the numbers... since I believe quite a bit in CD'ing, I wanted DH to be on board with me. And because there is a good sized layout of cash in the beginning, I did not feel comfortable just making a mommy decision and getting them without his approval.

To add to this, though I believe in CD'ing a lot, I was not going to 'die on this hill' so to speak. Marital peace was worth so much more to me than what the poop catcher on my baby's bottom was made of. So with all that said, this is NOT a cloth diapering debate thread. In fact, this is an information gathering thread (as the CD threads are) for disposable diapers.

I'm positive we'll be getting the bulk of our diapers from Sam's Club and this is their product offering.

Huggies 1's (8-15lbs) are $38 for 264 diapers. The wipes are $15 for 720.

Pampers 1's (swaddlers) are $38 for 216 diapers.

Members Mark (8-15lbs) are $31 for 264 diapers.

So non-CD'ing families... how do these diapers stack up? Do you like one brand vs another?

At this point, I want something that works, and is decent on baby's bottom.

My sister's both have sworn by Huggies. I think that I'm going to use Seventh Generation. I'm like you, I've been debating the cloth diaper thing since I first got pregnant. I'm not going to do it, because I'm afraid of the pins and my Mom will be living with us for the summer and watching the baby two days a week and she doesn't want to deal with cloth.

The seventh generation I found online for $40 for a case of 194, a little more expensive, but not as many chemicals and less plastic.

I know a great cloth nappy that's very similar to a sposie if you are interested. Here sposies are costly. For 108 (Newborn) huggies it is $35-40. For my DD size we only get 72 nappies for that price. Yikes! I miss my cloth :(

I used Huggies first, because thats what they give you at the hospital. So Colton was on newborn Huggies and they were fine. Right now he is using Luvs, which have also been fine. However, he is still really young, and therefore doesn't go that much right now. We didn't choose either of these diapers though, they were given to us at our babyshower/by my mom.
I think when we have to start buying our own diapers we will probably go with Luvs, and as he gets older if those aren't great we will use Pampers. I've heard Huggies leak as they get older, and I may end up trying Huggies. But will probably end up using Pampers.
:)

Friend used Huggies first and they leaked badly and they switched to Pampers and that brand has worked for them ever since. They buy the bulk boxes at Sam's like you mentioned. Looking at your prices you wrote down, Pampers is slightly more expensive than Huggies but in the end it's whatever fits and works best for baby!

You can always use sposies and have some covers (CD covers) on hand and pair it with sposies for better containment.

Another thing my sister pointed out, maybe instead of stocking up on one brand, buy just the small package of each brand then when you figure out what works best for your baby you won't have a ton of the ones you hate.

Another thing my sister pointed out, maybe instead of stocking up on one brand, buy just the small package of each brand then when you figure out what works best for your baby you won't have a ton of the ones you hate.

Thats what we have done. We have Pampers Swaddlers, Pampers Baby Dry, Huggies, and LUVS. We have small packs of each, a few different packs of the Pampers since we've been told they are really good. And we have a few small containers of different wipes, and a really big box of the Huggies Naturals wipes. We've been using Pampers Swaddlers so far, and they have worked great. Although, she doesn't go too much, she hasn't had any leaking or anything. I'd try out what you like personally, and after trying each one, buy in bulk. I think it definitely varies baby to baby. =)

I'm not a mommy YET! :) But I do work at a daycare and I change TONS of diapers a day and I've got to say huggies are the best. That is what I will be buying for my LO. Pampers are ok but I've had quite a few leaks with them as well as the Luvs. I HATE luvs! lol They are the worst brand out there in my opinion. But, all in all... Huggies are the best! (to me anyway)

We're using Pampers swaddlers right now. So far no leaks, and I love the fact that they hold mositure away really well. Probably going to use these until she gets a bit bigger and switch to less expensive ones. They are pricey :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->