US ladies: boy/girl spellings

Tigerlily01

Reaction score
We've already chosen our name, but since Lee/Leigh is gender neutral, I'm wondering how often people will assume the opposite gender from what we are using it for. We're going to use it regardless, I'm mainly just trying to get a feel for how often this will come up (US only in the poll please, but others please feel free to comment!).

I think Leigh was the original male spelling, but my impression is that now Leigh seems to be the female spelling. And I've seen Lee used for both boys and girls.

So...if you saw one of these names written down, which gender would you assume?

I'm from uk, my middle name is Leigh, all girls I've known with this name have spelt it this way and all boys I've known/heard of have spelt it Lee. X

For first name Leigh for a girl, Lee for a boy but if it's used for a middle name Lee could be either.

Leigh is feminine
Lee is masculine
Ley as an ending can sometimes be both

I voted Leigh for girl and Lee for boy, but really I think Lee could be for either. Leigh just seems feminine to me. I wouldn't just assume either though.

In my experience, I have known both to be spelled both ways, so I think in Australia it may be completely unisex. That probably doesn't help much!

Though I have known a few male Leigh's, personally I think that is a more feminine spelling and Lee more masculine.

Personally when I see Leigh I think its pronounced Lay, not Lee. That might just be a me problem though. I think Lee works fine for either gender, and were strongly considering it for our DD's name!

wow! never seen a poll with results like that! 26 to 1?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->