US Mums! Could this be a turn in the tides???

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
Laughing gas returning as option for laboring moms

Very interesting to read about Lisa! I bet a lot of my mums would use gas if it were made available. Here's hoping! :)

I'm hoping they bring it over. I personally wouldn't use it because I just like giving birth without anything, but I think it's a lot better than the Epidural and other pain medications (Nubain, Stadol, Demerol) and that way you can still feel if you want to and it doesn't stay in your system long, just a few seconds.

NaturalMomma - I would agree. I think the gas would be a better option than something like Nubain, but that's all we have besides an epidural.

I'd love it if they brought it back and my midwife got it for her birth center. LOL This will be my first all natural birth and I'm starting to freak out, having something available IF I needed it would be nice instead of the only option if it came down to it being transferring

its sad really that we dont get that option when it is so much safer than other things. i hope they do bring it back!

I really do hope that they bring that option to mums in the US. It often seems to be all or nothing over there. If they had that much safer option, I think alot of mums will take it. Hopefully it could even begin to lead to a decrease in epidural uptake which will inturn decrease c section rates.

Entonox is awesome, it was all I needed through my labour Hope you ladies get it over there! x

I really do hope that they bring that option to mums in the US. It often seems to be all or nothing over there. If they had that much safer option, I think alot of mums will take it. Hopefully it could even begin to lead to a decrease in epidural uptake which will inturn decrease c section rates.

I am absolutely certain this would be the case. Hurry up G&A!!!

Wow that's a great article! I agree - bringing that back may reduce the use of epidurals. . .maybe. A LOT of U.S. moms go into it wanting an epidural and signing the papers for it before they even 'test the waters' without one. Although, with an option like this who knows :) It's silly that they quit doing it in the first place!

I really hope they do bring it back. Entonox was all I had, and it was fantastic. :thumbup: Hooray for CHOICE :D

I love G&A! So good for focusing your breathing too. Definitely good news if women get this option in the US.

Are you guys fans of "Birth Without Fear" on Facebook? She is really deadset against it, makes for interesting reading...

She claims anyone who uses G&A cannot say that they've had a natural birth. What do you all think of that?

Interesting..dont know if I would use it or not..it would beg for more research..and since it's not an option at this point, I have not looked into it one bit

QUOTE=pimento1979;9209907]Are you guys fans of "Birth Without Fear" on Facebook? She is really deadset against it, makes for interesting reading...

She claims anyone who uses G&A cannot say that they've had a natural birth. What do you all think of that?[/QUOTE]

Why would one person assume to use the quote of Dr dick Grantly Reed and then take it upon themselves to act in that front to tell all women that if you have used any drug pain relief, that they have NOT had a natural birth? It is insulting to his theory.
Has she even read the original publication? - because I have more than a few times..
the premise is the removal of fear, removes tension, which in-turn doesn't produce the nervous signals for pain; that IS it's essence.
It has nothing to do with the ins and out of WHAT is natural or not - we all know what natural is.. it is what is instinctive for us. but natural isn't an empty room of options, there are many options.. both in mind and body to help prepare and encourage you to birth.

Are we really to be put into a situation where it is ok to lord over someone because they have used a different method, rather than doing nothing at all to call it natural - because I don't know many other mammals that drink RLT, pineapple juice, or bounce on sports balls, go to classes on hypnotherapy, yoga, use TENS machines, or land mammals that labour and birth in water, Use massage and essential oils!?! Or have there partners - or anyone present (for that matter) at the birth. How far does THIS individual want to take it - until she makes every women feel like crap?? That is the only end point from my view!
How far removed this is from the wonderful book of GDReed! It saddens me to hear his original voice taken in vain.
XxX

Are we really to be put into a situation where it is ok to lord over someone because they have used a different method, rather than doing nothing at all to call it natural - because I don't know many other mammals that drink RLT, pineapple juice, or bounce on sports balls, go to classes on hypnotherapy, yoga, use TENS machines, or land mammals that labour and birth in water, Use massage and essential oils!?! Or have there partners - or anyone present (for that matter) at the birth.

Brilliantly said, BF! It does sadden me that this woman, who is so visible on Facebook, is making these statements, which in turn make women feel less about themselves and the choices they make/have made. I wonder, as you do, if she has read his book? I admit that I read it but found it hard going at some points, but his premise and thoughts are true and inspiring.

Here here!!!!! I've never had a natural birth then because I was sucking away on the G&A during parts of my home birth!!! Pffft

I didn't realise G&A wasn't available in the states. Now I know why most women on those birth programs have epidurals lol!

Are you guys fans of "Birth Without Fear" on Facebook? She is really deadset against it, makes for interesting reading...

She claims anyone who uses G&A cannot say that they've had a natural birth. What do you all think of that?

Right, you can't say you had a natural birth because you didn't. It's not natural to use nitrous oxide during labor/birth. A natural birth is one that goes how it's suppose to naturally, without medicaitons, and without interventions. However, whocares? (and that's not ment to be snarky or rude :) ) Women who are going to use nitrous oxide were probably going to use a different medication instead anyways, so they are more than likely not caring if they have a natural birth or not. I do think sometimes women think that a vaginal birth is what the definition of natural is. But the true definition is a physiological birth that happened spontaneiously without pain medications, augmentation or any other intervention.

What do you mean exactly? I'm not sure what that comment means?

Right, you can't say you had a natural birth because you didn't. It's not natural to use nitrous oxide during labor/birth. A natural birth is one that goes how it's suppose to naturally, without medicaitons, and without interventions. However, whocares? (and that's not ment to be snarky or rude :) ) Women who are going to use nitrous oxide were probably going to use a different medication instead anyways, so they are more than likely not caring if they have a natural birth or not. I do think sometimes women think that a vaginal birth is what the definition of natural is. But the true definition is a physiological birth that happened spontaneiously without pain medications, augmentation or any other intervention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->