US vs UK views on waterbirth

O

Ozzieshunni

I'm seriously considering this so I was doing some research and watching some birthing videos and I came across this one from ABC News in the US. Does anyone else get a snarky feeling from the interviewer and the doctor? While she says she doesn't condemn the practice she sure sounds like she looks down on it! :growlmad:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/water-births-safe-9730010

I don't think it's as common in the US. But I'm a labor & delivery nurse in the US and we have 3 birthing tubs on the unit. :)

After watching it I'd have to say I actually completely appreciate her honesty on both sides of the story. I think sometimes it looks bad to get a person that comes on and only has great things to say about water birth as then people's brains shut off because they don't take them seriously. She did a great job of showing both sides of the story and having pretty positive things to say about it in the end.

What annoyed the crap out of me was the guy!!! Ugh seriously he was talking about women like they didn't deserve anything else but to be up on a bed in stirrups!! The bit where he says it would be awkward to get in and out of the water made my blood boil for some reason! I mean even the doctor lady was like uh actually people labour in the water all the time, that's not even an issue. And as my hubby just said "Uh.. you're 9months pregnant, you do everything awkwardly" :lol:

Seriously though it's nice this story was out there as it gets women thinking about all the different options out there. I hadn't even thought about a water birth because I didn't know they existed!! Now look at me... Home water birth first timer in the making. It's all about getting the information out there so that women can make their own choices.

Ah, maybe she was snarky because he was snarky. He did sound like women should be in stirrups.....or just have the baby and get back in the kitchen.

Ugh, that guy was a moron. The Dr. was alright, she didn't condemn it and said there is benefit to mom and that low risk women should be doing it, which I agree with. The guy said the baby can't breath underwater when the cord is cut, um..... you don't cut the cord underwater. The baby is brought up as soon as he/she is born.

I'm in USA, and homebirth is about 1% right now and slowly rising. Homebirth in many areas is considered horrible, child abuse, irresponsible, etc. I'm lucky to live in a homebirth friendly area. I even had a back up OBGYN who I saw a few times and he didn't mind. Everyone I've told from family to complete strangers all think it's cool, even medical staff. But, many if not most places are the opposite.

The interview annoyed me. I got the impression from the woman that she felt there was a benefit for the mum but that she felt it was selfishly at the expense of the baby.

A water birth actually has a lot of benefits for the baby too which we not mentioned such as decreased likelihood of removal via forceps/ventouse which can result in misalignment of the skull.

Wow this sounds so negative. It's sad that they only had one real viewpoint here.

that is depressing and really negative, it doesnt surprise me though. I want an home/water birth when I get pregnant the next time!!

ha, i get the impression that the guy interviewing was "wetting the baby's head" whilst his wife was in hospital with her legs in stirrups!

i think really the interview would have been better with a female anchor asking the questions just because i mean how awkward is it for some men, especially from his generation, to openly talk about things like this . . .

i do think it is good to have all the facts and i was a little shocked by the whole "baby needs to take a deep breath and they cant in water etc etc . . " but actually felt a little scare mongered by the whole thing, i suppose what i am saying is if i had asked my midwife for information about water birth and this is what i was given, i would not have a water birth.

i agree with the good for mum selfish for baby point posted earlier, i got a tone of you can do it if you want but it can damage your baby. . . . i did get that she touched on a few positive factors but at the same time almost backtracked instantly to a negative "it does in some women help with pain relief but at the same time there are some scientific research to suggest it really doesnt" - well isnt that true for all types of pain relief? works for some doesnt for others?

i HATE how ABC news takes something that has 2 sides, claims to cover both and doesnt, and always makes something that is a very personal choice into a big news story...i want a home water birth, but i cannot have it unless i lie to all my friends and family and dont tell them its what im doing. they have all said if i try to have my baby at home they will force me to go to a hospital...hospital is fine but i WILL refuse hookups and drips at all cost. birth is natural. i have NO need for all that crap and i hate the stigma that the US gives women for choosing natural child birth.

i HATE how ABC news takes something that has 2 sides, claims to cover both and doesnt, and always makes something that is a very personal choice into a big news story...i want a home water birth, but i cannot have it unless i lie to all my friends and family and dont tell them its what im doing. they have all said if i try to have my baby at home they will force me to go to a hospital...hospital is fine but i WILL refuse hookups and drips at all cost. birth is natural. i have NO need for all that crap and i hate the stigma that the US gives women for choosing natural child birth.

My mom had a similar reaction when I told her I was having a water birth. However, having grown up near San Francisco, "out there" ways of giving birth are not unheard of. I hope all goes to plan and when we move back I can have LO #2 in water again. :thumbup:

I found the video to be somewhat biased as well, though I think they did ultimately try to avoid that. It probably would have been more advantageous to have someone interviewed who was a little more knowledgable about water and natural birth like a midwife..... However, unfortunately a large percentage of the North American population do not take midwives seriously..... hmmmmmmmmmm :shrug:

Canada has a similar attitude towards waterbirth. In many parts of the country it's entirely unheard of and throughout the rest of the country it tends to be frowned upon. My grandmother thought I had "strange" ways before being that I breastfed and cloth diapered and had a midwife..... But now that she found out that I'm planning to have my baby in a swimming pool in the middle of my kitchen she thinks I'm completely NUTS! Maybe she's right but that has nothing to do with my intentions to have a waterbirth! :wacko:

Anyways, the vast majority of hospitals will not permit water births and I have yet to meet a doctor (doctors care for the majority or pregnant women regardless of whether they are labeled as high risk or not) who will deliver in water.

Midwives here do attend waterbirths and they do support the practice but provinces in which midwives are able to practice are limited , the option of waterbirth is still more often then not restricted to women electing homebirth due to hospital policy and this has resulted in the overall practice of waterbirths being quite small. I've been to well over a hundred births and have only attended 5 water births.

I've tried to view this from a number of different sources, but I can't as it recognises that I'm not in the US.
So I can't comment - if you find a UK friendly source let me know
XXx

That's odd. I'm in the UK and can access it with no problems :shrug:

That's really odd. It just comes up on the video "this video can not be viewed outside of the US"
Oh well, from the sound of it, I think I'd just be cross watching it anyway! hahaha! :)
XxX

I've managed to watch it!!
If ever there was an advert for how miss-informed medical professionals can be, this is it!
Like the blind leading the blind... Oh dear.
Both of them had very limited knowlede on the subject.. and what is more concerning, is that I'm sure they would have both prepared for the interview.. and they would like to call themselves educated?
XxX

My hospital has a birthing tub and the midwife asked if I wanted to use it, but the whole idea of sitting in water grosses me out, so I wouldn't not enjoy the experience, but I can see where someone else might not feel that way, so it's nice they have the option for those ladies.

I found the video to be somewhat biased as well, though I think they did ultimately try to avoid that. It probably would have been more advantageous to have someone interviewed who was a little more knowledgable about water and natural birth like a midwife..... However, unfortunately a large percentage of the North American population do not take midwives seriously..... hmmmmmmmmmm :shrug:

Canada has a similar attitude towards waterbirth. In many parts of the country it's entirely unheard of and throughout the rest of the country it tends to be frowned upon. My grandmother thought I had "strange" ways before being that I breastfed and cloth diapered and had a midwife..... But now that she found out that I'm planning to have my baby in a swimming pool in the middle of my kitchen she thinks I'm completely NUTS! Maybe she's right but that has nothing to do with my intentions to have a waterbirth! :wacko:

Anyways, the vast majority of hospitals will not permit water births and I have yet to meet a doctor (doctors care for the majority or pregnant women regardless of whether they are labeled as high risk or not) who will deliver in water.

Midwives here do attend waterbirths and they do support the practice but provinces in which midwives are able to practice are limited , the option of waterbirth is still more often then not restricted to women electing homebirth due to hospital policy and this has resulted in the overall practice of waterbirths being quite small. I've been to well over a hundred births and have only attended 5 water births.

I think my gran would think I was nuts as well. Luckily she doesn't know that's what I'm planning.

:haha: My grandmas don't really care. They just want me to be happy and comfortable. :thumbup: It's my mom that's a little off on the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->