• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Using bottle like a dummy!

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
So my 4 week old keeps using his bottle like a dummy. He can wolf down 4oz in 15 minutes n be satisfied. But the majority of the times he's not even attempting to suck and drink. He then goes half asleep and eye rolly and mouth open but as soon as you take it away, wakes up and wants a sip then uses it like a dummy again. So feeding times are way too long.

I did try a dummy before. He would suck so hard and gag on it expecting it to be milk. So we introduced a dummy again yesterday and so far it's kept him pretty content and settled him to sleep faster.

But he just had his dummy after a feed, barely settled for more than ten minutes and kept spitting it out. After trying to settle him and stretch it out a bit more I thought hey he's probably close to needing another feed. He would eat his hands and cry without dummy and would whine with it. So I changed his nappy, got him a bottle.. Now he's using THAT like a dummy and getting agitated.

Anyone else get this? I thought it was going well. The dummy and teet are a similar shape (he gagged on the other shaped dummies we got).

He's not finished all his feeds all week. Leaving an ounce or more and needing more feeds more often. He had finished all his feeds so far today but then started getting really fussy and couldn't settle him and I just really NEED TO SLEEP.

I have a LO that was similar. I would give her the bottle and she would look like she was drinking and 20 mins later I check and she did not drink any of it. I don't use a soother so I don't know how she would react to that.

I started taking the bottle out of her mouth if she wasn't drinking. She would get upset so I gave it back to her. After doing this once or twice she started drinking. I kept that up and after a couple months it got better.

DD would do this. Made feeding take at least an hour. She eventually grew out of it near 2 months. She now sucks her thumb all the time, and feeds only take about 20 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->