Using the potty etiquette?

tracy1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Started toilet training this week.

It's going okish....

We are out of the house a lot, at the park, etc and I have now brought a travel potty to take out with us.

I have still been putting LO in nappies when we leave the house but I don't think that it's helping matters.

So...... big question- do you use the potty everywhere? for example, at the park, I would just go somewhere quiet?

What about if you are shopping? etc...

Views much appreciated as we are new to this!!
Thanks xx

Personally I never did - there is something very disrespectful of their dignity to expect them to toilet in public IMO (it's a very very personal choice though) I would take the travel potty and sit them on it in the car before we got out (potty on front passenger seat discreet enough) and then stay close enough to the car if in the park or make sure I knew where the toilets were.

Plenary of people don't though and I've see potties whipped out in the most random of places!

i dont drive, so if we're somewhere without toilets, i have nowhere private for DD to go :p i ofc get her to go before we leave, but if she does need the potty while we're out, I'll simply put it behind a tree or something for her :) but its always a last resort. i have a toilet training seat for her so we'll use a toilet over the potty while we're out :)

I'm afraid I do take the potty out with us everywhere. I didn't want to go back to nappies apart from nighttime. If we're out I do try and get him into a toilet before getting the potty out but some times I just have to settle on a quiet corner somewhere and hide with our pushchair which luckily is quite big. I also chose to start potty training when I knew we didn't really have to leave the house unless we wanted to for a couple if weeks which may have helped

Hi everyone

Started toilet training this week.

It's going okish....

We are out of the house a lot, at the park, etc and I have now brought a travel potty to take out with us.

I have still been putting LO in nappies when we leave the house but I don't think that it's helping matters.

So...... big question- do you use the potty everywhere? for example, at the park, I would just go somewhere quiet?

What about if you are shopping? etc...

Views much appreciated as we are new to this!!
Thanks xx

Hello, I have a travel potty in my car too. Many parks we go to have bathrooms and I've taken Violet to the park bathroom. If I were to go to a park without a bathroom, I suppose I would just take her to the car and have her use the potty there. In a pinch, I have just taken her diaper off and had her pee into it. I never have her pee in public, if that's what you're asking about though. If I'm shopping, I will try to get her to a bathroom. Violet is only 11 months right now though, so she's certainly not using the potty/toilet every time, so we do always have her in diapers. If you're feeling like the diapers aren't helping because they make your child less aware, try switching to cloth or switching to a cheap brand that isn't as absorbent.

At first we did take the potty everywhere. I think using a potty in public is more dignifying that having an accident.

In the early days of potty training we used the potty wherever we were as once she needed to go it had to be right now.

This lasted a month or so but now we can easily have time to find a toilet.

If they are not bothered going in public I wouldn't worry about it.

We never carried a potty and didn't have this issue , my son went straight to underwear and we always made sure he went before we left and when we went to the park it wasn't more then 15 mins from the house or made sure there is a bathroom near by z

Personally I think carrying the potty around and peeing on it in public is a little strange

thanks for your advice ladies. It's going well so far. We do have a travel potty now just in case so far have made it to the toilet when out, xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->