UTI whilst breastfeeding

jaytee146

Blessed mommy to a beautiful girl and growing lo
Reaction score
Guy's i think i have either a uti or bladder infection. mainly from holding my urine at nite so lo wouldn't wake (We co sleep) now it's three in the morning and my lower stomach is killing me. i'm also experiencing frequent trips to the restroom. is there anything i can take over the counter that won't hurt lo or my supply? :help:

You're probably going to need antibiotics I'd definitely not ignore it as it may lead to a more serious kidney infection which will need far more serious treatment. Antibiotics will not hurt your supply. There are some OTC remedies for burning urination that are fine when BF but these do say in the insert if you're experiencing abdominal pain etc then see your doctor pronto as all they do is neutralise your urine a bit they don't do anything to kill any infection zx

you need antibiotics. You don't want it to get any worse, I promise it gets SOO much worse. I've had so many bladder infections its unreal(since i was about 8 years old). I had once let it get so severe it went to my kidneys and put me in the hospital. Iactually had a simple UTI a couple weeks ago and took antibiotics, it's all gone and I breastfeed, it didn't affect her at all or the supply! As long as theres no blood, you probably just have a UTI. I had blood with my bladder infection and kidney infection but definitely nip in the bud and go to the doc!

I have a UTI right now, and went to the doctor yesterday for it. AZO(over the counter medicine that reliefs the pain) they said was okay for me to take, and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics that was breastfeeing safe. :hugs: I feel your pain hun...literally :haha: Hope you get some meds soon and feel better!

I don't know if anyone can help. I know this is an old forum but I'm feeding and have a treatment resistive uti. We have tried al safe anti biotics but the only one I can take is one not to be taken when feeding. What do Ido? Il have to give up feeding and this devastates me. Any help?

You can try taking apple cider vinegar and cranberry pills and drinking TONS of water. I have conquered a few UTIs this way but only in the beginning stages. I've never tried this with a raging UTI.

I'd be careful though because if it spreads can get to your kidneys. If you gotta to antibiotics then you gotta take them. I had a UTI while breastfeeding and I took antibiotics but I forget which ones!!

The one I have to take is nitrofurantoin? Anyone heard of this?

If you have a freezer stash of EBM you could use that and pump and dump.

Otherwise you could give formula, pump and dump to keep your supply up, and hopefully go back to BFing after the antibiotics are out of your system.

Honey I've looked into this and it seems this antibiotic is compatible with breastfeeding. I would get a second opinion because the worst thing I've read on it is there are a lack of studies but there is no evidence of harm whatsoever. Not sure how old your baby is but it's often prescribed for mums breastfeeding older babies. It only seems it is a no-no in mothers who have a condition commonly known as 'favaism' this is a very rare condition, especially in females and is an enzyme deficiency, it causes extreme jaundice in infancy and so you would know if you had it

https://drugs.webmd.boots.com/drugs...id=332&drugname=nitrofurantoin&istictac=false

Xx

Please go get checked out, Hun. I got a UTI at about ten days pp and was prescribed antibiotics which did not affect my supply. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

So, the dr still thinks I can't take nitrofurantoin despite me finding out from two different breast feeding counsellors who are qualified pharmacists! Soo she's put me on co amoxiclav which is safe. So I just hope it works because I've been running fever and feeling pretty terrible over the last couple of days. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->