Vaginal birth after a c-section?

TTCinBC

Mum of a girl and boy
Reaction score
I'm not due until Aug 11th, but since I had a rather tough last month of my last pregnancy and delivery was very challenging, I have a lot of fear and stress when it comes to delivery again. Whether it's c-section or vaginal.

A little background...

I developled pre-eclampsia in the last month of my pregnancy and they decided to induce me early. Only it wasn't that easy. I was given a total of 6 inductions before being admitted to the hospital. 3 cervadil and 3 of the gel one. I only dialted 1 1/2 cm from these. They admitted me finally and decided to put me on oxytocin and they broke my water as well. When they gave me my epidural (I never progressed past 1/12 cms) I had some trouble with the epidural. My blood pressure bottomed out and my DD's heart rate dropped. We came back from it thank goodness, but then once we were stable her heart rate dropped with every mild contraction. So my OB decided it was best to do a c-section.

Everything was fine from there on out. I'm worried about a few things..

If I have another c-section, besides epidural and being put under, do I have any other options for the surgery? I don't see my OB about it until the end of May.

And my other question is...if I do decide to try naturally, I'm terrified of my uterus rupturing during labor. Has anyone had this happen?

And has anyone had trouble with an epidural and gone on to have no problems with them again?

Sorry this is so long, I'm just so worried and don't have anyone to talk to about it right now. I try not to think about it to be honest, as it causes me a lot of anxiety.

The chances of your scar rupturing are 0.5%, to put this in context the chances of a first time mum's womb rupturing is 0.3%, so the risk is very very low. If you decide to VBAC (and I believe this can be a hard thing to do in the US) there are things you can do to increase your chances of being successful such as - having an active birth, avoiding an epidural, refusing continuous monitoring (which btw is a very poor indicator of rupture), minimising stress etc. There's a good VBAC thread in the Labour and Birth section.

Thanks for the info. I will go take a look. Im actually in Canada and my doctors have said as long as Im not hifh risk, I do have a choice of a vbac or c-section

Thanks for replying!

I had 2 cs birth with my boys but this time would love to experience a vaginal birth which i havent talked to my gynae yet but hoping it will work.

I'm not due until Aug 11th, but since I had a rather tough last month of my last pregnancy and delivery was very challenging, I have a lot of fear and stress when it comes to delivery again. Whether it's c-section or vaginal.

A little background...

I developled pre-eclampsia in the last month of my pregnancy and they decided to induce me early. Only it wasn't that easy. I was given a total of 6 inductions before being admitted to the hospital. 3 cervadil and 3 of the gel one. I only dialted 1 1/2 cm from these. They admitted me finally and decided to put me on oxytocin and they broke my water as well. When they gave me my epidural (I never progressed past 1/12 cms) I had some trouble with the epidural. My blood pressure bottomed out and my DD's heart rate dropped. We came back from it thank goodness, but then once we were stable her heart rate dropped with every mild contraction. So my OB decided it was best to do a c-section.

Everything was fine from there on out. I'm worried about a few things..

If I have another c-section, besides epidural and being put under, do I have any other options for the surgery? I don't see my OB about it until the end of May.

And my other question is...if I do decide to try naturally, I'm terrified of my uterus rupturing during labor. Has anyone had this happen?

And has anyone had trouble with an epidural and gone on to have no problems with them again?

Sorry this is so long, I'm just so worried and don't have anyone to talk to about it right now. I try not to think about it to be honest, as it causes me a lot of anxiety.

Hi, I am not usually on this thread as I am on the second trimester loss section rainbow was due 15th June.

Anyway I saw your post and had to reply as I have 3 children already and 3 different births, in brief:-

Baby 1 - 3 weeks and 1 day early - vaginal birth with forceps and epidural after total 42 hours in labour!

Baby 2 - Breach baby - born at 38 weeks by c-section.

Baby 3 - VBAC - as there was no actual medical reason for previous c-section I was advised to try VBAC - which I did. 2 weeks before due date my waters broke at 10.00pm on the Monday evening, baby born 3.50am Tuesday with just gas & air - no problems at all and no stitches required either.

My sister also had VBAC - first baby was c-section due to pre eclampsia - second baby VBAC with forceps.

Neither of us had any complitions with our VBAC and I was up and about straight away after which is a bonus as well.

Hope all goes well for you :thumbup:

Addition - baby 1 was ventouse not forceps!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->