Vasa Preavia

Rymer1

Reaction score
Hi,
My sister suggested I joined this site to try and find out about a condition I was diagnosed with on my 20 week scan. I was told that I has Vasa Preavia, the Dr did not explain what it was, just that I needed another scan with a consulant.
I ended up looking on the internet to find out what it was, and I've been distraught since. My GP doesn't seem to have any understanding of it and my midwife said in her 12 years experience she has never come across it either.
I'm reading conflicting stories about wether I should be having bed rest right now up until 24 weeks, which is my next scan, I have also found out that I am booked in to see the consulant again the following week. My sister works at the hospital so she can see what is going on. All this is happening without any Dr's actually explaining to me what is happening and what is safe to do and what isn't. As far as I've read I'm likely to be hospitalised at 24 weeks so that i can be monitered and have steroid injections to help grow my babies lungs quicker, with a scheduled c-section at possibly 34-35 weeks..
I understand that If I go into labour their is a 97% chance my baby will lose too much blood to survive. I'm goingout of my mind with worry. I guess I'm looking for someone else who may have experienced this, so that I can make sure that my consultant knows what he is talking about as I've not had a very good experience so far, this is my first pregnancy.

If your midwife isn't familiar with the condition, I would switch to an OB for your care, or at the very least someone else who is familiar with the condition and can manage your care better. I don't have Vasa Previa, so don't know too much about it (I have Placenta Previa), but my understanding is that they monitor it by ultrasound and then deliver you early by c-section, that way there is no risk of you going into labor on your own. I don't know about bed rest or anything, I do know with placenta previa they will often put you on pelvic rest (no sex, tampons, vigorous exercise, or lifting anything heavy) to avoid you having a bleed, but not sure about vasa previa since i have no experience. Maybe give the doctor who diagnosed you a call and ask them to explain it to you better, and find out what you should be doing?

I don't have any specific information about vasa praevia but just wondered if you'd tried calling the antenatal screening midwife at your hospital? Normal midwives are used to dealing with uncomplicated or common problems in pregnancy whereas the screening ones are involved where possible complications are identified. They obviously have a lot to do with the downs syndrome results but I think they're also involved when problems are found on the 20week scan. I think all hospitals have them and hopefully they will have come across this before. Even if they don't know immediately if you gave her some of your specific questions that you'd like to know the answers to sooner such as 'should you be on bed rest' she would be able to talk to one of the consultants and get back to you...

That's a really good idea, thank you, I'll call them tomorrow to find out. :)

My friend had vasa praevia recently. You will need a c-section around 34 weeks - any dilation of the cervix could release baby's blood supply.

She was assessed for risk of pre-term labour and wasn't at high risk so instead of bringing her into hospital at 28 weeks they let her go to 32 weeks. No bed rest BUT if she had any labour signs she had to be ready to get an ambulance to hospital and call delivery suite on the way so they can prep theatre.

She went in at 32 and had a section at 34. Baby had a couple of days in SCBU but was quite hardy thanks to the steroids.

It's a very scary time for you mama, but they will monitor you closely and get a plan of action in place. You may find that if you're not very close to the hospital they'll want you in earlier than my friend as her hospital was v close by. Also I think it's still possible that your placenta will move away and remove the vasa praevia xx

Hello,

I'm just wondering what the outcome was with the vasa previa? I have also been tentatively diagnosed with this and am waiting for an appt with a high risk pregnancy unit for further investigation. I have had 2 ultrasounds that are showing fetal vessels covering the cervix with a low lying placenta. The cord insertion has been hard to visualize. I am 24 weeks today. My OB said that I will likely be admitted at 30 weeks to hospital to wait for a c section at 35 weeks if the vasa previa is confirmed. Thank you for your story and hope all is well with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->