vba2c??

xashleyx

proud mummy of 3
Reaction score
herro :hi:

i am seeing my consultant for the first time on thursday, and i reallllllllllllly wanna try and see if i can at last try a natural delivery this time,

i had a emergency section at 37 weeks with my first and i had a elective with my second at 39 weeks, i have read so many stories of women being able to have a vaginal birth after 2 or more sections and they are so insperational :flower:

my question is, what info etc can i go in and say to my consultant to fight my side to have a vaginal birth and not be pushed or forced into having another section, obviously if i do end up havng a section thats fine as my baby and i's health is more important, but this will be my last child and i just want that chance to try!

thank you so much if use have got this far in reading and for any comments! :hugs:

Your best bet is to go to the iCAN website and print off info from there.

https://www.vbac.com/

https://www.ican-online.org/

Arm yourself with knowledge and stats. If that doctor isn't supportive keep looking.

Be sure to ask pointed question about how many sections the dr does and how many vbacs.

stupid question really, is my consultant the person who will be doing my c-section or vaginal birth???

If your doctor won't support it then see a second doctor. Depending on what the issue was first time around, you may be great candidate. Check out Henci Goers book"the thinking womans guide to a better birth". It's a fab read for weighing up pros and cons and deals stats around with rupture etc.

See an OB who has a good rate of vbacs.Often their recommendations have more to do with how they choose to practice rather than what is truly in the best interest of mum and bub. Good luck. Remember we are 'allowed' to birth how we want to, it is just that we need all of the options and information to make the best decision for ourselves.

I have only had a the one c-section and I am hoping for a vbac.

First of all the doctors at the hospital said I do have the option, but then recommended vbac and all seem very pro-vbac.

The documentation I was given at the hospital recommends a c-section if you have had 3 or more previous sections - not just 1 or 2.

Also, 70-75% women who go into labour give birth vaginally following just 1 or 2 c-section deliveries.

I had this discussion and was given paperwork to read at my first appt/scan at 12wks.

I was told that since having had a previous section, the hospital have you up to have a review at 36wks.
:flower:

If your doctor won't support it then see a second doctor. Depending on what the issue was first time around, you may be great candidate. Check out Henci Goers book"the thinking womans guide to a better birth". It's a fab read for weighing up pros and cons and deals stats around with rupture etc.

See an OB who has a good rate of vbacs.Often their recommendations have more to do with how they choose to practice rather than what is truly in the best interest of mum and bub. Good luck. Remember we are 'allowed' to birth how we want to, it is just that we need all of the options and information to make the best decision for ourselves.

how would i go about seeing another doctor or another OB?? i dont know how it all works over here, :dohh:

I saw my consultant and midwife this week, I've had 2 sections already and will be having another this time around. The reasons for mine were breech first time around and I opted for another with my second, so not really for any major medical reasons. But both my consultant and midwife have told me that they would not allow me to try for a natural delivery this time...
Hope you get on well with yours and get what you want. They told me after 1 c section they allow you to chose with your second whether to have another or not, but after 2 its a straight no for a vaginal delivery and it has to be another section :shrug:

thank u hun, what was there reasons for saying no to you, surly u have a choice?

how would i go about seeing another doctor or another OB?? i dont know how it all works over here, :dohh:

I am sorry, I can't answer that last one as I know little about the NHS (I'm from NZ) but I work in the health system and I know that you can request a second opinion in regards to any care you receive. Maybe some of hte UK girls can help you out?? WIll go dig out my Henci Goer book and see what she says quickly

Here is what Henci says. (The book is based on literature reviews of studies and position papers of various birthing and Obstetric Associations)

VBAC is safe

Elective Cesarean poses greater risks to hte mother's life and health than does vaginal birth. It poses a hazard tothe baby as well, especially with succeeding pregnancies and more than one cesarean.

Most women, including women whose prior cesarean was for lack of progress or who are believed to be carrying a big baby will birth vaginally if allowed to.

She lists the cons as

A healed uterine scar is tough. Still in a few women the scar will open up enough for the umbilical cord or the baby to pass through the opening or for bleeding to occur. The number usually quoted for women with one prior cesarean is less than 1%.

Pros of repeat sections

since there is no labour there is no chance of scar separation, at least not during labour. Prelabour sections have a lower rate of infection and other compliations than sections done in labour, although infections can be avoided. Women who labour are likely ot have membranes ruptured, multiple vaginal exams, internal monitoring all of which are associated strongly with infections.

COmpared with vaginal births, c section substantially increases the risk of infection, injury to other organs, haemorrhage, and anaesthetic complications. These increase the risk of longer hospitalisations, hsyterectomy and maternal death. Repeat sections are technically difficult to perform because of scar tissue. Scar tissue formations (adhesions) can cause chronic pain and bowel problems. elective sections increase the baby's risk of poor condition at birth, breathing difficulties, and jaundice. Each successive section increases the risk of developing placenta previa or placenta accreta. Cesareans also increase the odds of infertility and ectopic pregnancy. Women with multiple prior sections havea slightly higher risk of scar separation during vbac (given it was 1%).

VBAC should not be attempted if

Vertical uterine scar or extensive scarring from previou uterine surgery is present.

Factors that do not exclude vbac

Prior section for poor progress

Suspected large baby

More than one prior cesarean (odds of scar separation are slightly higher but not enough to mandate planned section).

Twins

Breech (depending on the type of breech)

TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF A VBAC

See a confident professional with a high VBAC rate. 70% or more.

Give birth in or near a facility that is capable of performing a cesarean in an emergency.

Avoid induction of labour

Avoid syntocinon/oxytocin

Avoid epidurals

Limit vaginal exams but consider electronic fetal monitoring.

I had a VBAC with my second. My doctor and his practice were very supportive. They wouldn't induce due to the increase in rupture risk. They also had me on the monitors the whole time. All but one doc in the practice will augment labor with pitocin, but it does increase risk some.

I didn't have an epidural because I was nervous about labor stalling. The hospital had mobile telemetry units that I could walk around with. They were also waterproof, so I hung out in the tub and shower quite a lot of my labor.

Good luck!

I am sorry, I can't answer that last one as I know little about the NHS (I'm from NZ) but I work in the health system and I know that you can request a second opinion in regards to any care you receive. Maybe some of hte UK girls can help you out?? WIll go dig out my Henci Goer book and see what she says quickly

You will need to go to your consultant appointment and if you arent happy with how they are handling it you can request a different consultant but its not like we can pick up a list and then pick who we want to see off it so you will make that choice after meeting your care team

i just know that he/she is gonna turn around and say no straight away, and i dont know how im gonna come back from that and aks why etc, im not very good at putting my poits across and disagreeing wth medical people lol

My consultant didn't even mention me attempting a VBAC this time around, she has put me straighjt through for a third section, which is probably also because I will only have a 12 month age gap between this baby and my last.

im doomed lol, it has been 3 1/2 years since my last, have any of use that are defo having another section been given a date?

im doomed lol, it has been 3 1/2 years since my last, have any of use that are defo having another section been given a date?

Not yet, they don't give them til about 30ish weeks I think in my hospital...although I never made my date last time anyway..pre-e got me again so they did my section earlier.

will this be the only time i see a consultant?? with my last one i seen them once at 15 weeks and that was it :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->