Vbac

Nikkinoonoo

Mummy to a gorgeous girl
Reaction score
Hey ladies,
I had an emergency c-section in June when I had my first baby. I was so upset I couldn't have her vaginally as I really wanted to avoid having a ceasarean. Although I had quite a nasty time of it, the surgery and recovery wasn't as bad as I had worked myself up for. I think I expected it to be so much worse that it made it not seem so bad.
I was told there is no reason why my next birth would need to be by c-section so my question is..
Has anyone had a VBAC, and how do they compare (apart from the obvious)?
If you had the choice, which would you opt for and why?

Thanks for taking time to read
xXx

I don't have any direct experience of either yet, but I do know that I would never elect to have a c-section. Usually, and I do mean usually, c-sections carry higher risks than vaginal births. The c-section rate in the UK is higher than necessary (according to WHO) because a lot of medical pros will take the surgery route rather than persevere with a long natural delivery.

I do know that you may have to put up a bit of a fight to have a VBAC, a lot of doctors will automatically classify you as "high risk" and that can channel you down a certain course. So make sure you know your rights and stay firm in your decisions, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.

Oh I will stand up for myself :) I have quite a big mouth when I want something lol. I dunno if I'm strange, but I feel kinda 'cheated' that I didn't experiance a vaginal birth. I will probabally live to regret those words when I'm in a long painfull labour lol xXx

was wondering this myself hun :)

i had LO by c-section, but was wondering if that woul dbe an automatic decision made for me next time..:shrug:

would love to actually experience a birth (as such) although ill hate myself for saying that when i am actually in one :rofl:

X

was wondering this myself hun :)

i had LO by c-section, but was wondering if that woul dbe an automatic decision made for me next time..:shrug:

would love to actually experience a birth (as such) although ill hate myself for saying that when i am actually in one :rofl:

X

Hehe glad I'm not the only one :) xXx

I have had a VBAC and would def recommend trying that if you can. I had my first son vaginally, normal labor...about 9hrs pushed about 5-10min. Then with my 2nd son he was born by emergency csection due to his heartrate dropping dramatically with and after contractions. Then 2 1/2yrs later I had my 3rd son by VBAC. I'm so glad I did. My csection was horrible and I didn't want to go through that again. It's a much easier delivery and even though it does carry a higher risk for uterine rupture the % is only like 1%...not very high at all. Csections themselves have very high risks, especially repeat ones with all of the scar tissue. My delivery couldn't have gone better with my 3rd either, I started having contractions at midnight on his due date, at 2am my water broke, 4am I was 4cm and 5:43 am he was born, it went really fast

I have had a VBAC and would def recommend trying that if you can. I had my first son vaginally, normal labor...about 9hrs pushed about 5-10min. Then with my 2nd son he was born by emergency csection due to his heartrate dropping dramatically with and after contractions. Then 2 1/2yrs later I had my 3rd son by VBAC. I'm so glad I did. My csection was horrible and I didn't want to go through that again. It's a much easier delivery and even though it does carry a higher risk for uterine rupture the % is only like 1%...not very high at all. Csections themselves have very high risks, especially repeat ones with all of the scar tissue. My delivery couldn't have gone better with my 3rd either, I started having contractions at midnight on his due date, at 2am my water broke, 4am I was 4cm and 5:43 am he was born, it went really fast

These are the positive stories I was hoping to hear :) Thanks for posting! xXx

Oh I will stand up for myself :) I have quite a big mouth when I want something lol. I dunno if I'm strange, but I feel kinda 'cheated' that I didn't experiance a vaginal birth. I will probabally live to regret those words when I'm in a long painfull labour lol xXx

Who says labour has to be long and/or painful? :winkwink:

There are some great books out there written by women who were driven to avoid a c-section and found themselves researching lots of alternatives to medicalised births. What is undeniable is that the less intervention there is, the shorter and more enjoyable the experience is.

Emma Mahony describes in her book Stand and Deliver about being told that she would have to deliver her twins by c-section. Desperate to avoid surgery she was able to fight the system and have a normal birth. Her research led her to writing her book, which explores lots of methods of normal birth.

You might want to look at water births, active births and hypnobirthing. Also get hold of a copy of Childbirth Without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read.

HTH.

Unfortunately I had too many complications to avoid surgery, my waters had broken 48 hours previous and had pre-eclampsia (sp). I recovered remarkably well but as I say feel kinda 'cheated' that I didn't experience a vaginal birth. I spent from 7am - 11.30pm (ish) in labour only to have a ceasarean.
I would love to experience water (altho not the actual birth) and even home birth but seeing as I'm only likely to have one more child, just a vaginal one will do lol.

im not sure, but doesnt the rupturing uterus percantage drop the longer you leave between pregnancies? E.G if you had a c-section then say, for arguments sake, 5 months later fell pregnant i think your at ahigher risk than someone who left it maybe 2-3 years between pregnancies...

Or have i dreamt this :shrug:
lol
??

I had forceps with Layla , And i tell ya if they bring them things near me again i will beg for a c section , It was the worst experiance of my whole life .

Good luck for natural hun . xxxx .

I'll be going for a home birth this time with midwife led care rather than consultant led. There's a really good VBAC yahoo group called UKVBACHBAC where everyone is really supportive and can give you some really good advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->