Vegetarian fed babies and vitamins

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
So we've gone vegetarian now and I think there is no point having Josh eating meat (kinda beat the purpose of being veggie) I was just wondering about him getting enough vitamins in his diet.

Do you give vitamins supplements? Which ones? (multi-vitamins, fish oils?? etc)

Thanks!!

I'm interested in this too! I'm slowly transitioning & have no intention of giving her meat

Vegetarian babies need good sources of iron, protein, vitamin B12, vitamin D and zinc.

Iron is less easily absorbed from non-animal sources, but good vegetarian sources include pureed apricots, molasses, lentils, fortified cereals, eggs and green leafy vegetables. Serving vitamin C at the same time increases the amount of iron absorbed.

Dairy products, beans, peas and soya products such as tofu are good sources of protein. Eggs are another excellent source of protein and iron. Hard boil them and then stir them into chopped or pureed vegetables. If there is no history of food allergies, then peanut butter is a great nutrient dense food after 6 months.

Vitamin B12 is only found in animal foods, so dairy products and eggs are a good source. Otherwise use specially fortified foods such as soya milks, low-salt yeast extract or veggie burgers.

Vitamin D is found exclusively in animal foods, so a supplement may be needed. It can be found in dairy products, eggs, fortified foods such as margarine and some cereals, and is also made by sunlight on the skin.

Pulses, wholemeal bread and egg yolk are good sources of zinc.

Quorn products can be useful for vegetarians, but they shouldn't be the main source of protein for young children as they are relatively low in calories and high in fibre, which fills the baby up too quickly and can also interfere with the absorption of minerals. Textured vegetable protein is hard for young children to digest and can also be high in salt.

We are not vegetarians but we don't eat that much meat. Hope some of that information is useful for you.

you can buy healthy start vitamin drops from your health visitor or at their offices x

We are vegan and are raising our son the same way (until he is old enough to make up his own mind at least!). There is lots of info on the internet about this, a good place to start is the Vegetarian Society info page: https://www.vegsoc.org/info/infant.html

You could also check out: https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/startingsolids/vegetarianbaby/

There are also lots of good books out there. Let me know if you need some titles.

As long as you make sure that some of the trickier nutrients are in there (B12, iron, calcium, vitamin D) it's all simple and easy to make healthy. Actually, I think most veggie mums I know probably pay a lot more attention to their kids diets and to them getting a good balance and all the essential nutrients than your average omnivore parent does.

Good luck!

Hi hon.We're veggies and we dont give Ophelia any vitamin supplements.I wont go into it too much because freckleonear went into it really well but basically you just need to keep a good eye on Josh's diet and figure out whether or not he's getting everything he needs and what types of foods you need to increase/decrease.Eventually it will all just seem natural to you!Feel free to PM me if you need any more advice
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->