Veggie kids?

Drazic<3

You got the love <3
Reaction score
Hey girls,

I was just wondering if anyone else is raising/planning to raise their kids veggie or vegan?

Both me and my husband are veggie (though I am eating fish during pregnancy) and we want to raise her veggie. When she is older if she decides to eat meat that is very much her choice, but whilst we have the control over her diet we want to give her (in our opinion) the best kind.

Was just wondering about others?

my OH is a veggie, i am not. We were bringing Daisy up as a meat eater but she has decided herself that she wants to be veggie! (aged 22 months!)

Whenever she sees meat she says "cat" then runs off to find one of them to give them it!

I dont think there is any problem with bringing them up veggie as long as they are getting all their nutrients and vitimans from somewhere else, Daisy didnt eat meat most of the way through weaning too, she just doesnt like it!!
Much prefers quorn!

i am veggie but OH isn't but we tend to only eat veggie food in the house. i haven't decided for def yet, but as we will be doing BLW LO will probably pretty much only get veggie food. there is a support thread on here for veggie mums and babies. in the lounge area i think???

I am a meat eater, Boyo is a devout veggie (no meat or fish of any kind nor products with any animal products in) and we are letting Missy choose as he did.

I don't eat much of it in fairness but he would rather she decide to be vegetarian than we make that decision for her so she will have whatever we eat, she can taste meat and if she likes it fine, if not, fine.

What we won't be doing though is telling her the chicken on our plates grows on a chicken tree etc the way my SIL does....education is the best way for her to make her own decisions!

xxx

Thanks for your replies. :)

Taperjeangirl, that is a little girl who knows her own mind! How cute! That is lovely.

Kelly, I will find that, thank you :)

Pops - I was exactly the same before preg, no animal products whatsoever, and I still avoid gelatine and leather, ect, but just eating fish once a week on the advice of my midwife (I say eat, more like force down, but hey, if that's the best for my girly). I agree, it shouldn't be forced and we won't be forcing her to be veggie - if in the same way that Daisy has, Simba decides she wants meat then she will be allowed meat. Also, if she goes to parties or whatever and wants to try things we will have no problems with that. Partly, it's practically, with us both now being veggie why would I cook meat just for her? I do expect her to want to experiement when she is older though.

Pops - I was exactly the same before preg, no animal products whatsoever, and I still avoid gelatine and leather, ect, but just eating fish once a week on the advice of my midwife (I say eat, more like force down, but hey, if that's the best for my girly). I agree, it shouldn't be forced and we won't be forcing her to be veggie - if in the same way that Daisy has, Simba decides she wants meat then she will be allowed meat. Also, if she goes to parties or whatever and wants to try things we will have no problems with that. Partly, it's practically, with us both now being veggie why would I cook meat just for her? I do expect her to want to experiement when she is older though.

That's it exactly hun, if we didn't both eat meat, we probably wouldn't buy any in just for her to try but as one of us does, she can taste it if and when she wants to. In honestly, I expect her to turn out veggie like Daisy has as a lot of our stuff is quorn.

I can't imagine you to force Simba to do anything :hugs:

xxx

Aww I know chica puff, you know I will be like putty in her hands :rofl: :hugs:

I am hoping she chooses to be veggie, but I guess we will see. I think you are all right, offering variety in food and BLW will help her decide what is right for her.

Poor kid, she isn't even born yet and I am thinking about what to do her for dinner :dohh:

but just eating fish once a week on the advice of my midwife (I say eat, more like force down, but hey, if that's the best for my girly).

why did they say this? i don't eat fish and my mw never said anything like that to me. if it is to get the essential fatty acids there is a veggie alternative, that i have been taking for a long time, that gives you a veggie source of omega 3 DHA.

https://www.healthspan.co.uk/pregnancy/cerebrum-vegetarian-dha-/productdetail-p225-c3167.aspx

here https://www.babyandbump.com/bnb-groups/204227-vegetarian-mums-babies.htmlis the group on here

You obviously know me chicken!!Hiiii!Veggies over here my Quornoasaurus!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Well I am vegan and OH is meat eater. I'll be feeding LO vegan/veggie and he'll go down the meat route. I refuse to cook anything meat/often veggie now so our LO won't have a choice when I'm cooking! I don't majorly mind either way, as long as I don't have to eat it and can maintain my own choice of lifestyle.

my parent bought me up to eat meat when i was 5 yrs old i refused to eat anymore. i lived on fishfingers as the only meat i'd try.

when i was 18 i tried chicken for the first time and now i eat chicken i eat slices of beef too. i just dont like meat tbh.

my daughter is the same she doesnt really like meat and now she's 15 she's hit and miss she'll often have sunday lunch with meat missed off.

i cant see the point in cooking a whole leg of lamb either so that rhys will eat lamb and no-one else will have it. the chances are rhys wont like lamb because he hasnt been exposed it, think he had some lamb steak once and being blw think he missed it off his tray anyway. but he'll wolf a whole tomato anyday and i dont know many kids that'd do that, but its what he's used to.

my point is you cant push it either way really. meat is such a small part of food available to us.
its an old saying meat and two veg, personally i just miss the meat out and have a plate of veg, pasta, salads thats what my mum did and thats what i did with rosie.

did i go on then :haha:i'm rubbish at saying what i mean :lol: i dont replace meat, i just add more veg lol

but just eating fish once a week on the advice of my midwife (I say eat, more like force down, but hey, if that's the best for my girly).

why did they say this? i don't eat fish and my mw never said anything like that to me. if it is to get the essential fatty acids there is a veggie alternative, that i have been taking for a long time, that gives you a veggie source of omega 3 DHA.

https://www.healthspan.co.uk/pregnancy/cerebrum-vegetarian-dha-/productdetail-p225-c3167.aspx

She said I was devoid of certain minerals which I needed from fish? I did think it was weird as my iron levels were fine and I have been taking veggie omega 3. I hate it, I literally have to force it down completely covered in something so I can't taste it. I just presumed it was quite common?

Thanks for all the replies girls :)

did she what minerals exactly? i haven't eaten meat or fish in 20 years had very easy preg and birth and baby was and still is doing fine! i had low vit b12/folate at one point but that corrected by taking vit b supplements. even my gp never suggested eating meat or fish. sounds strange thing for her to be saying i think.

ETA i bet she means DHA as is mainly found in fatty fish. but you can also get it from flaxseed, flaxseed oil, canola oil, walnuts, and soybeans and the supplement i take

No, she wasn't specific and to be honest she had seems so supportive of my vegetarianism I took her at face value on this. Maybe I will knock it on the head, I hate eating fish, makes me feel sick!

aw, that's not good, if you hate it so much and makes you feel sick. i would ask her to be more specific about what she thinks you need so badly from fish and maybe show her something like this leaflet https://www.vegsoc.org/info/VegSoc-Infant%20Diet.pdf so she knows it is possible to have a very good, balanced diet ,providing all you need during pregnancy from a veggie diet.

Thanks Kelly, I will give her a call and discuss it :hugs:

no probs! good luck, i'd be interested in hearing what she says re the fish/mineral thing

My DH and I are veggies and our baby boy is/will be a veggie too :) I took DHA supplements throughout pregnancy and still take them now so he gets it through the breastmilk. If you go on to formula feed I believe some of them contain omegas derived from fish.

I used to be veggie when I was younger, went veggie a few months before getting pg, then started eating meat again at 20weeks due to meat cravings (probably caused by low iron). I tend to go off meat big style and stop eating it and I'm starting to feel it happen again. I have a lot of family members who are veggie, where as OH didn't think you could have a meal without meat until he met me, and thought that I would need a meat substitute (ie quorn) for every meal.

If I go back to being veggie we will have some meals proper veggie (ie without quorn and other things that pretend to be meat) and some meat meals with substitutes for me. LO will have the same diet as me and OH, probably with the real meat. I'm going to make sure she knows where meat comes from as soon as she is able to understand and let her make her own decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->