Vent about my crappy appt. Warning: LONG

rayasunshine

Reaction score
So in order to have this baby unassisted my husband made the decision that we needed to have prenatal care. While I didn't completely liked the idea I was okay with it as I knew it would put my husband at ease and it would even help me feel a little more comfortable with the few concerns I had. My first appointment with the ob was this past Thursday and it was the worst experience of my life.

I had a friend (who's had two homebirth and is considering a UC for her next, she will also be attending my uc) and my hubby at the appointment. I knew I wasn't going to love the appointment but I didn't think the experience would be so disastrous.

I got to the appointment about 15 minutes late (my boss was late to get home) and from the moment I got there they treated me like crap. I didn't have the ability to print the records (one page) that the midwife I had been seeing sent me so I asked the receptionist if I could email the records to them, as they said they NEEDED them in order to see me. They acted as if I'd just asked for a million dollars and had to speak to the doctor before allowing me to send them the records via email. When they got the one page they didn't believe that was all there was-- I had only been to two appointments and had no bloodwork done (the labs cost $500 and I had NO insurance). The nurse laughed when I told her I hadn't had blood drawn and said “That lady was no good if she didn't draw blood, we draw blood at the first appointment here”. That bothered me but I just kind of shurgged it off.

When they called me back they said my husband and friend had to stay in the waiting room while I was weighed. I didn't like that but again I shrugged it off because all they were going to do was weigh me. They weighed me and had me give them a urine sample and then asked me a bunch of questions, including ones I'd already answered. No big deal. One question they asked was “Have you have a pap before” I answered no as I am only 19, got pregnant at 18 and have never even been to a gyno before since you don't need to until around my age anyway. The nurse gave me an odd look but that was it. I was then told to get my husband and friend and go to the exam room.

Once I was in the exam room I was told to undress and put on a robe. Again never been to a gyno/ob so I didn't know why they wanted me to undress but I figured it was standard procedure. My friend didn't get why they told me to get undressed either, we were both kind of confused. In the corner there was a tray with an open container and a couple things laid out. My friend joked and said “Ew, I hope those aren't from the last person” ...Oh they weren't from another patient they were for ME and the open container had MY name on it. The doctor came in and asked me lay on the table, at this point nobody said anything to me about a pap but I was kind of gathering that was what was going on. I had to ask the doctor what she was doing. I kind of thought you know maybe they explain things before they do them but nope they just assume your ready to have stuff poked and proded into your area. After asking she explained that she was going to do a pap and she let me feel that the tools weren't sharp, etc. I was freaked out and didn't know what to say. My friend asked if they had to do it knowing it would be something I wouldn't agree to but the doctor sidestepped that question and made it seem as if I couldn't refuse the pap. I was still kind of in shock of the fact that they didn't tell me they wanted to do this and I didn't really know how to react. So I laid down since I figured thats what I had to do. I guess at some point my friend pulled my hubby aside and suggested he ask the doctor to leave but he was clueless to the fact that I COULDN'T ask the doctor to leave and assumed if I wanted the doctor to give me a minute I would ask...

The pap was horrible, I am probably being dramatic but the whole experience just felt wrong and disgusting and painful. After the pap she said she was going to do an ultrasound...my legs were still in the stirups and I was so afraid she wanted to do a vaginal ultrasound, I'm 20 weeks, it would've made no sense. But luckily she didn't, she had me put my legs down and listened to the heartbeat and then did the ultrasound. Sadly, I couldn't enjoy that fact that I got to see my baby (even if it was just an ultrasound) because I was still so upset about the pap and how unwilling the doctor was to explain anything.

While the appointment was horrible and honestly left me feeling like I'd been traumatized (I can almost say I now know what people mean when the talk about “birth rape”) it makes me even more strong in my belief that I HAVE to have this homebirth. If I don't I don't know how I'd handle the hospital.

I'm sorry this is so long, I just had to vent and get this off my chest.

I am so sorry you were treated this way. It's bloody disgusting. I feel physically sick for you and yes as I read I too was thinking the words 'birth rape'.

:hugs:

That's horrible, I had a similar experience this week only not as bad as yours, the assistant/consultant both kept doing things without telling me what was happening, I had to keep asking what they were doing and it also felt like I was being violated. So sorry you couldn't enjoy your ultrasound at the end, I also didn't enjoy the hearing of the HB because of how they were. Hope venting has at least helped.

You know I've not said this out loud but that's how I felt when I had a swab taken without my knowledge at hospital after a tiny provoked bleed. We don't do smears (paps) here during pregnancy. :hugs:

I'm totally disgusted! It made me feel violated just reading it. It is just horrible. A total lack of care.You must have felt like screeming no, no no no

Thats discusing, I cant fault the care i recived. I did have things done to me with out being asked but they were done to save my baby, i cant imadgine how it feels so have something unneccisary done.

YIKES! Please don't be turned off prenatal care because of this one experience. It is important to have some prenatal care. Could you find another obgyn? I promise you, not all of them are like that! PAPs are VERY uncomfortable even for those of us that have been through them multiple times. I don't think the doctor should have done one while you were pregnant. Sounds a bit fishy to me....I'm sorry you had such a poor experience. He should have explained things better to you. :hugs:

I can't believe you went through that... :hugs: They don't do paps during pregnancy here - I would have thought it potentially bring on premature labour messing around with the cervix at such an early stage of pregnancy... :shrug:
It must of been horrible not knowing what they were doing and the fact they didn't say or ask anything before doing it... it's violation put simply.. :nope:

I can't believe you went through that... :hugs: They don't do paps during pregnancy here - I would have thought it potentially bring on premature labour messing around with the cervix at such an early stage of pregnancy... :shrug:
It must of been horrible not knowing what they were doing and the fact they didn't say or ask anything before doing it... it's violation put simply.. :nope:

They don't generally do paps in pregnancy in the US either! It's just horrible to hear this. To me that doctor just felt like she needed to assert her power in some way, and because of your age felt you deserved no respect. Both are horrid and I would find a new doctor asap if I could.

I thought they did jenni? Loads of US women on Bnb seem to talk about getting them early in pregnancy. Maybe it varies by state? Either way it's completely horrible and unnecessary.

I thought they did jenni? Loads of US women on Bnb seem to talk about getting them early in pregnancy. Maybe it varies by state? Either way it's completely horrible and unnecessary.

Such a good point, it's so hard to talk about the US as a whole. Each state is vastly difference!

In early pregnancy it's pretty common but not at 20 weeks! I got a nice like postcard today saying "Your pap smear showed normal results. You need to get another within a year" ... a post card?!!?!? HUH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->