VENT!! Daughter injured at school...

Ckelley

Reaction score
So at 2:15 I got a call from her classroom teacher telling me that Charlie did not seem to be feeling well. She fell asleep at her desk and the teacher was concerned that she was going to fall out of it. She told Charlie that she could go lay down in the reading corner, and she did, and slept for more than an hour there. She refused a snack, it was popsicles, and did not want to get up.

She was sent to the office and they tried to take her temperature. The secretary (nurse was gone) said Charlie seemed "out of it" and "not herself." And she "looked like she was going to throw up."

They said that she had been crying pretty much non stop since PE... when she was not sleeping.

I picked her up (30 minute commute to her school) at 2:45. I woke her up and she started complaining about how bad her head hurt.

I asked her "Did you hit your head."

"Well, when I was in PE a 2nd grader pushed me down and I hit my head on the hard floor." She is 7 and in 1st grade. I have no idea why they would have PE with second grade.

"Did the teacher see"

"No. If we get hurt we are suppose to sit out until PE is over"

"Did she come talk to you? Did she check on you while you were sitting out?"

"No"

"Did you feel dizzy or have problems seeing?"

"Yes, I couldn't see my friends that well."

So took her into the ER, and she has a concussion! I am livid! :growlmad:

I didn't get contacted until almost 3 hours later, they had NO IDEA what the F happened, and she had all the signs!!! I'm not a doctor, I'm a teacher but I have enough common sense to know when something is wrong and to QUESTION THE KID!!!

Her principal is a total Jackass and only cares about covering his ass, so we will see how it goes. We have parent/ teacher conferences tomorrow, and I am one pissed off Mama.

Unbelievable. I'm so sorry that happened!! Sounds like a lot of people dropped the ball. Hope your daughter is feeling better! Go get 'em, mama!

Omg!! I'm so sorry your baby got hurt!!

And I hope you let loose and rip them a new one tomorrow. WTF!?! :growlmad:

Whaaaaat the hell?! Rip 'em a new one Momma! Sooo unacceptable!

So at 2:15 I got a call from her classroom teacher telling me that Charlie did not seem to be feeling well. She fell asleep at her desk and the teacher was concerned that she was going to fall out of it. She told Charlie that she could go lay down in the reading corner, and she did, and slept for more than an hour there. She refused a snack, it was popsicles, and did not want to get up.

She was sent to the office and they tried to take her temperature. The secretary (nurse was gone) said Charlie seemed "out of it" and "not herself." And she "looked like she was going to throw up."

They said that she had been crying pretty much non stop since PE... when she was not sleeping.

I picked her up (30 minute commute to her school) at 2:45. I woke her up and she started complaining about how bad her head hurt.

"Well, when I was in PE a 2nd grader pushed me down and I hit my head on the hard floor." She is 7 and in 1st grade. I have no idea why they would have PE with second grade.

"Did the teacher see"

"No"

I didn't get contacted until almost 3 hours later, they had NO IDEA what the F happened, and she had all the signs!!! I'm not a doctor, I'm a teacher but I have enough common sense to know when something is wrong and to QUESTION THE KID!!!

Her principal is a total Jackass and only cares about covering his ass, so we will see how it goes. We have parent/ teacher conferences tomorrow, and I am one pissed off Mama.

I would be furious! I hope she feels better and recovers from her concussion uneventfully. Man... I can't even imagine how I'd handle this situation. It wouldn't be pretty-- hopefully you have more tact than me!

Wow, that's absolutely terrible. The first words that came into my head were "WTF?!" seriously. How the hell could they not see the signs and question her about them?

That's complete neglect on the school's part, there should always be a nurse available to those kids. There's no excuse to not have one available at all times during the school day.

They need to pay for her medical expenses imo.

That is ALL KINDS of wrong! I'd be pushing the medical bills on the school to pay for for such blatant and ignorant neglect! Hell, one of mine so much as trips and doesn't get injured, I get a call to AT LEAST tell me he's fine!

"Did the teacher see"

"No"

Yep I would be raising hell. Go get em.

The first thing I thought when you mentioned the sleepiness was concussion, before you said she hit her head!!

OMG that's ridiculous!!
At my LO school he comes out with a note nearly every day about hitting his head, they have to tell you here even if it's just a small bump so you can keep an eye on them!
So bad nobody figured out what was wrong that was my first thought before I got to that part!

That is so bad! I would go mad at them! My son comes home nearly everyday with an accident form for were he bangs his head so much, and if it's bad like before they had to apply a cold compress on his head they rang me to let me know what they had done and that he was ok. Hope your daughter feels better soon x

That's awful! I could understand it might be missed if no one saw her fall and she didn't tell anyone she banged her head. But an adult must have seen her sitting out and absolutely should have asked why! I would be livid too and I hope you get some answers/apologies today and that you can ensure it never happens to another child. Hope your daughter feels better soon x

So sorry hun- hope she's all better soon! :hugs:

For sure that is not ok- I would also be livid if one of the "adults" didn't at least ask her what happened (and they should have called you immediately). Grrrrr...

Bring on the mama bear!

I remember PE in Grade School- it's a great thing! But there needs to be that level of responsibility from the teachers watching! Hello. eesh.

I am so sorry that happened to your baby.
So many things wrong with this situation; letting her sleep with a concussion, ignoring the injury, not seeking medical attention and on.

1) Take her to a follow up visit with the family doctor
2) find an attorney. Now
3 don't talk to the principal or anyone at the school about this. You're past that point, let your representation handle that.

I am so sorry that happened to your baby.
So many things wrong with this situation; letting her sleep with a concussion, ignoring the injury, not seeking medical attention and on.

1) Take her to a follow up visit with the family doctor
2) find an attorney. Now
3 don't talk to the principal or anyone at the school about this. You're past that point, let your representation handle that.

She had a follow up, and she is good.
I called an attorney, but he is out of town until next week.
We did talk to the principal, and recorded the conversation.

My husband and I talked about it and our goal is to make sure the school makes First Aid and CPR a requirement for all teachers and subs. If they don't we will then pursue legal action. It was all caught on camera, and let me tell you she was OUT cold for about 15 seconds, and didn't get up until 32 seconds after she fell... which is FOREVER for a 7 year old. A parent volunteer was by her side by 8 seconds, but still...

There were some other circumstances that really makes the school liable, so we will see what happens.

I can't believe that they didn't get in contact with you straight away if someone was aware that it'd happened! That's absolutely appalling and I'm so shocked. If a child is unwell, starts falling asleep in class and seems completely 'out of it' I can't get my head around why they didn't ask her any questions about how she felt! You immediately found out what'd happened and imo they should've been phoning you with that information! You're being much more reasonable than I would be. I'd be pursuing legal action regardless of how they handle the situation from now.

The teacher didn't see and didn't know and you are calling a lawyer?

Raise hell, mama. That is unacceptable. I am so glad your girl is better. There's no excuse for this!

The teacher didn't see and didn't know and you are calling a lawyer?

We want to resolve it without legal action. My issue is the lack of training. The doctor at the er told us it was critical to receive medial care as soon as possible when they are that age because a brain bleed will occur in under six hours. We were not contacted until over three hours later and they had no idea what happened. She did not get to the er until three and a half hours later.

I want my child to be safe. The teacher did not see her because they were walking students through the gym instead of the playground doors because the doors were broken. The teacher had them running warm up laps THROUGH the lines of kids, and that is why she did not see her fall... Because she was on one side and there were about two grades of kids between them. It was stupidly at its finest, and my daughter paid the price.

Not only that but the fact that no one thought to react to a child falling asleep in class is ridiculous. If that happened to my son and it wasn't a usual occurrence I'd expect someone to find out if he was ok. If she was 'out of it' a teacher totally missing that is beyond unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->