Verbal Dyspraxia

Kirsti

MumOf3Boys And Pregnant!
Reaction score
Well a few months ago i was asking on the toddler site if anyone could help/advise me on my son(my eldest) is 3 now! He has no speech whatsoever bar hiya and mum and now bye :(
I was worried i wont lie esp when my 2 year old was talking away!
he was referred to see the speech therapist for an assessment and he has now been diagonosed with Verbal Dyspraxia .

Basically im just wondering if theres any mums out there that would support or talk me through it or reassure me?! theres only so much googling i can take!

thanks

K xx

Hi

I have been searching the internet for info on this as I have been told my son has this and was just wondering what help your son got and if he is talking now

C

Hi hun :flower:

Verbal dyspraxia is when a child has difficulty making and sequencing speech sounds, so their speech can sound really unclear. Sometimes they can have problems carrying out lip/tongue movements too. What age is your son and is he getting speech and language therapy?

Our son is 2 and has no words, although he uses lots of non-verbal communication such as signing. We have seen lots of neurologists and had various forms of therapy as our son has a known conditon, which affects motor planning in general. But it is worth saying that a speech/ verbal dyspraxia is not a "condition" per se, more of a label or "symptom" if speech is delayed (I think they have some guidelines like less than so-so many words by a certain age they are labeled as an apraxia).

I can understand this is worrying for you,but from what I have gathered with early intervention and support, lots can be done. As long as he is able to express himself, his language will eventually catch up as well....

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->