Very anxious about childbirth

Spudtastic

Reaction score
Hi ladies.
I go through bouts of incredible anxiety and fear about childbirth, mainly the pain, can I cope and worrying about what can go wrong.

I have one daughter who was facing the wrong way for birth with back to back contractions from 2.5cms onwards but otherwise everything went smoothly.

I think todays anxiety is because we had to euthanise our cat today. He was a much loved family member and I miss him terribly. But truth is these anxiety attacks come and go.

I have ordered the hypnobirthing book - the mongan method to read through.

Does anyone else worry about childbirth and how do you get yourself through it?

I worry about it due to having a bad after experience with having to have my placenta removed in theatre last time as for the pain im looking toward to the gas and air lol this is baby number 4 for me and im more anxious than I've ever been but remember the joy of having a new born once its all over it sounds scary but baby will come out eventually its a certainty so just focus on the fact once its over its an achievement and the birth will soon be forgotten about hun

I think its totally normal to experience a measure of anxiety leading up to every birth, even when previous births have been great. Add in a not so great experience prior, and worries over the same thing happening are totally expected.

Its great you got the hypnobirthing book. I think that will really be of benefit. Also do you have anyone you could debrief with regarding your previous birth?
I would also suggest reading empowering things about birth - positive birth stories (check out birth without fear), and books like Birthing from Within, Ten Moons, um my mind has drawn a blank about some other titles I'll try to remember to come back with some more - but just empowering books that will help you embrace birth and move through the fear.

Hi ladies.
I go through bouts of incredible anxiety and fear about childbirth, mainly the pain, can I cope and worrying about what can go wrong.

I have one daughter who was facing the wrong way for birth with back to back contractions from 2.5cms onwards but otherwise everything went smoothly.

I think todays anxiety is because we had to euthanise our cat today. He was a much loved family member and I miss him terribly. But truth is these anxiety attacks come and go.

I have ordered the hypnobirthing book - the mongan method to read through.

Does anyone else worry about childbirth and how do you get yourself through it?

Sorry to hear about your cat xx
As for child birth this is number 4 for me.. My first labour was induced and back to back awful and long! Second was my easiest and a lot quicker I found it so much more bearable when the contractions weren't in my back so much. Third was ok quick towards the end but again when contractions were close they were in my back because of his position.. For some reason I keep thinking about the pain I had in the third stage when he was on his way out.. Thought your body was supposed to forget it! It's making me nervous too.. Just remind myself I'll have a gorgeous baby at the end of it so it will all be worth it! You ll be fine. Xxx

I am nervous about it too... I didn't really get any choices last time as I went into labour/delivered at 27 weeks so it was more of a 'process' than anything I thought it would be or wanted (continuous monitoring and epidural as told I should, because I was also on an infusion to try and slow the labour)...

That was 10 years ago and I am hoping for waterbirth this time, but I'm so worried I'm not going to cope and will end up losing the plot and screaming for an epidural or something.

A lot of this is also anxiety that OH (new partner, his first baby) will just think I'm a complete wuss and will think I couldn't 'hack it' and bailed for an epidural.
He would never actually say that and will only want what's best for me - but his friend recently had his first baby and he gushed a lot about his partner doing it with just gas and air, and how proud he was of her for it etc... So i feel even more under pressure now. I want OH to be proud of me too, and I was already worried I will be a screaming mess before that!

My last birth was very traumatic and ended with an emergency csection. I almost lost my son.

Part of me wants to just schedule another section to avoid it happening again, but the other part of me isn't ready to give up a vaginal birth. I get really anxious when I think that something might go wrong again this time around if I try and labour and deliver vaginally. But the thought of laying down on a table and being cut open while awake terrifies me too. I was put to sleep for my csection, so while I have the scar, I don't have the memory.

Hoping my OB can ease my fears either way.

I had a bad experience with her being back to back. Epidural didn't work twice, I had the suction cup and forceps.

Somehow I managed to wipe it out of my memory :shrug: I do remember it was horrific but can't remember just how horrific :haha:

I am still toying with the idea of asking for a planned c section. But am also hoping for a quick experience this time round. A few of my friends had very quick births with their seconds. But not everyone...

I'm not. I have had one epidural, one failed epidural and one delivery with no pain relief. I've had pitocin every time, so crazy contractions. It hasn't been so bad at all. My babies have all been back-to-back, too. I think people worry too much. I'll worry about it once I'm 7cms and ready to get that baby OUT! Lol

Awww sorry about your kitty.
If you had a pretty normal birth before, chances are you cope just fine :) specially with having a back to back baby for your 1st. My 3rd was and i found his labour was my hardest ( but quickest )
Ive only had gas and air with my boys and i have a very low pain tolerance. I just get noisy lol
You'll be fine :) but its definitely normal to feel anxious about it.

Hmmm, I worry because this is my first. Like you said, it's mostly about the pain. But I remember that millions of women have done it before me, this is a natural process that my body will take care of.
Being a breech baby myself and therefore born Cesarean, I do worry about the possibility of delivering C-section. But all in good time, still only about 4.5 months along so there's no way to tell yet how baby will be.

Hope you start feeling better about labor x

My anxiety is about bad weather and not being able to get to the hospital due to snow/icy roads

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->