VERY LONG Positive Birth/Induction Story of My Gorgeous Baby Boy Charlie

Tanya86

Mummy to one hooligan!
Reaction score
Well I threatened bump with eviction and had an induction booked for 4pm on Sunday 14th August because of stop/start contractions for 2 weeks.

At 3.30am on Sunday 14th I woke up feeling 'unwell' and was having contractions every 7 minutes but they felt slightly 'different'. I asked my partner to get my some paracetamol and I thought I'd go back to sleep but then I had a rather intense "clear out" and then 10 mins later went for a wee and wiped and there was lots of bloody mucas, more blood than mucas (now I know this was my bloody show). Called L&D and they told me to go in.

Got to the hospital about 5.15am and got set up in a room, they checked me and I was 1.5cm dilated and contracting every 5 mins, because I was booked for an induction that day anyway they decided to keep me in and get going on that. I had another clear out and the contractions were getting more uncomfortable.

The midwives did their change over at 8am and in walks a tall spanish male midwife (looked a bit like Rafal Nadal) called Fabios - slight shock there as I was expecting another woman. He checked me and I was 2cm dilated so he broke my waters - that didnt hurt at all but felt a bit weird, I had a canula in my left hand so my OH Ben had to put one of his fists under my bum when Fabios was doing it and got covered in warm amniotic fluid!

The contractions really ramped up about 10.30am. I had a shower, used my TENS and had some co-codamol. by 12.30pm I was in agony, contractions do bloody hurt but its a strange pain as its not a 'negative pain' and I kept thinking about meeting my baby boy. I did the whole 'I cant do it' 'Give me a C-Section' routine, Fabios checked me, my contractions were 'mild', he said I was 2-3cm and I wasnt yet in established labour and I wanted to punch him in the head. I asked for an epidural.

At 1pm I had the epidural, the aneathetist was the most lovely little Indian man who was like a chirpy leprochaun, now I know that he must be SO SO skilled as his epidural application was absolutely perfect. Tried some G&A whilst they were doing the epidural plus the second lot of co-codamol had kicked in and I was away with the fairies.

They started me on syntocin to get my contractions more intense and closer together.

At 2pm the midwives swapped over, in walks another man - looked like a football hooligan, tattoos up his arms, his name was Martin. Again I was slightly shocked but Martin was AMAZING. I dont really remember the next few hours as I was a bit dazed with all the lovely pain relief, I said to Martin about 4pm that I could feel contractions, not just pressure but a bit of pain so they gave me a top up on the epidural.

They were slightly concerned as babies heartbeat was decelerating with every contractions but recovered afterwards, they warned me that if I didnt progress quickly i'd be going for a section.

The registrar said we were waiting for the contractions to get to 4 in 10 mins, then they would wait 4 hours and check me. Anyway they never got to 4 in 10 mins, they were sitting around 3-4 so at about 6pm they said well we'll examine you anyway - 9CM DILATED!! This was such a relief as Martin had said that if I was only like 4-5cm they'd probably say to go for a section.

They then gave me 2 hours to get to 10cm (which I did), an hour for baby to decend (he did) and turned down my epidural so I was feeling pressure but no pain.

Another midwife swap over, in came a scatty older lady midwife called Leigh. She came in whistling Bruno Mars songs!

At 9.30pm I started pushing, I followed exactly what Leigh said. You really do have to push like you are having a big poo. I pushed for half an hour, he crowned and Leigh got her fingers in behind his head and I didnt tear (this is my first baby - so pleased), then the shoulders came out and he came flying out. The rush of emotion seeing him come out is something I can never explain. He cried straight away. He was born at 10.03pm and weighed 7lb 12oz, we named him Charlie Ben Reggie.

I then delivered the placenta - didnt even feel this. Leigh said that was my cord was 2ft long!!! That is the reason for the decellerations - there was so much cord that whenever I had a contraction it was always going to get squashed!

He was grunting a bit when he was born so the paediatric doctor came and checked him, they took him to neonatal (my OH went with him) just to do a few tests on his oxygen saturation, they said to me he may be a couple of hours which was quite a relief as I just wanted to shut my eyes and sleep but literally 10 mins later Ben pushed him back into the room as they'd said he was absolutely fine and just a bit mucasy.

We came home on Tuesday night, I tried breast feeding in the hospital with the help of the midwives but because Charlie was mucasy he wasnt staying on the breast, I was expressing colostrum into a little syringe and giving that to him but it got very sore, he wouldnt settle and after 36 hours I was exhausted and crying and gave him some formula. We've kept him on the formula and now on day 4 he has just taken a 60ml feed - what a hungry boy.

We had a cranial osteopath come and see him yesterday because of the mucas and as he had been windy and difficult to settle (tip for you girls - take the infacol with you to the hospital in case you have to stay in a few days, its absolutely amazing stuff, I didnt take mine hence the windiness from him). Last night was an absolute dream and im sitting here looking at him asleep wondering how it is possible that I can love someone as much as I do him.

Oh my days that was a long birth story, sorry about that! Here are a few pics of my little man, he keeps changing what he looks like though!!

Attachments

• Just been born.jpg
    Just been born.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Being weighed after birth.jpg
    Being weighed after birth.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 30
  • With Daddy when Born.jpg
    With Daddy when Born.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Nap time - 1 day old.jpg
    Nap time - 1 day old.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Nap time - 2 days old.jpg
    Nap time - 2 days old.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 24
More pics

Attachments

• Nap Time - 3 days old.jpg
    Nap Time - 3 days old.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Nap time 3 days old.jpg
    Nap time 3 days old.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 7
Wow he's gorgeous! An lucky u havin some tasty spanish man x

Congratulations hun. hes gorgeous :flower:

xx

he is seriously one of the most gorgeous baby boys I have evr seen :kiss:

Congratulations chick!

Beautiful! Congratulations - and a brilliant birth story. xxx

What a brill birth story, you really made me laugh about all the midwifes hope I get a few like that..Congratulations your baby is gorgeous!!! xx

Aw just starting snooping over in third tri today and this was the first birth story i've read, wonderful! LOL at all the male midwifes you got, i'd have been a bit shocked too! What a perfect delivery, well done, and your little boy is sooooo gorgeous xxx

He's amazing! Big congratulations!! Love all the pix, but uber love the sleeping one with hands together <3

Lovely. :) What a beautiful story and a little boy! Congrats!

Awhhhh, absolutely gorgeous little boy ! :hugs: congratulations, what a lovely detailed story xxx

He is honestly absolutely adorable! Congrats!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->