Very low budget ideas?

hellohefalump

Reaction score
I'm really in a bad way financially....

My kids are 11 and 8. My 8 yr old also has a birthday end of January!

I usually get them lots of nice things at Christmas but this year I'm dreading it because I have so little money! My son wants a PS4!!!!!!

I feel like such a failure :-(

Your not a failure we all go through tough times financially. I think your better off managing expectations and making it clear a ps4 is not possible ( does he still believe in Santa). If possible start picking up bits in sales or clearance sections. Remember kids get over these things quicker than we think. You can still have a lovely Christmas. Prioritize where you spent your money ie make no gift agreement with family or friends or do secret Santa.

Have a look on freegle sites etc on fb? Ive just seen the most beautiful, handmade dolls house being given away. Gutted because ive already bought my little girls and its no where near as nice.

I would set a budget and stick to it. Can you sell some of their old toys, do a car boot etc?

Youre definitely not a failure. You already said how many toys they usually get so they already have lots, they will be happy with whatever they get x

I've started! Got a nice little stationaRy set for my girl (11) at pound shop! I think I'm going to pick up little things gradually and hopefully they should be enough!

I've been selling stuff on eBay and Facebook all year and we're still struggling!

Need to pay off my credit card, we need to do a budget. The trouble is all year the house has needed repairs (roof, fence etc) and the car is dying! We need the car because the kids go to school in the next town along, and it's cheaper to buy petrol than get the bus! And it's too far to walk. Also had to shell out for new school uniform, shoes etc because girlie is starting secondary school. It's just been a really expensive year.

Family is sorted... I'm a painter and they're getting home made stuff this year! It's just the kids I'm worried about!

You're not a failure at all :hugs:
Maybe try some charity shops as they sometimes have some really good finds in there :)

Look at some local Facebook groups. I just got my girls a Barbie dream house for free! (It's quite old but they love it). Tricky as your kids are a bit older and will want more expensive things. Don't be hard on yourself, sounds like you've had an expensive year :-(

I agree check local Facebook selling groups and also Shpock. I’ve had some great nearly new toys for the kids off Shpock locally!

Don't worry and don't overthink it all :) :flower:

Your children most likely don't believe in Santa now, right? They should/will understand that things aren't as cheap as they seem. If you're adamant on a PS4 - maybe do it as a joint present so it's not a huge lump sum for one? Or even possibly look at a catalogue (if an option) to purchase that one thing so it spreads the cost out.

Keep an eye out on Shpock, Facebook, eBay, charity shops, gumtree or even Chinese sites (Wish/Alibaba etc) deals are possible to find and you'll be suprised with how many people get rid of the things you want.

I bought a few secondhand things last year and the year before for mine, as I couldn't justify buying at full price.

Would family/friends contribute towards a PS4 instead of buying individual gifts.

Result! My dad lives in Singapore and has announced he's coming over in October half term! He wants to buy the kids something! In their culture spending lots of money on gifts is 'polite' so it's a win win situation! He's getting a PS4!!!! And cash for my daughter!

This is great because it means I can just buy inexpensive stuff for Christmas. With my kids, most of the fun is getting 'quantity rather than quality,' they just like opening stuff! So I'm just going to hit the pound shop, Facebook, charity shops etc!

What was upsetting me was that if I bought the PS4 for Christmas, I'd then have to spend the same amount on my daughter to make it 'fair' so doubling the price!

I haven't seen my dad for 4 years as well so I'm really pleased he's coming!

I don't think my daughter still believes in santa, but my son definitely does and I wouldn't be fair if he had a stocking and she didn't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->