Very negative attitudes to HB

willybean

Reaction score
Just had a doom and gloom lecture from a consultant at my local hospital about HB - She started off by asking me why I wanted an HB! Why would anyone want a Hospital Birth?! She wanted me to be clear about all of the associated risks to myself AND the baby (you bad selfish mother!) - much riskier than a hospital birth - why do I think so few HBs compared to hospital ...blah blah blah - There was no point arguing with her. The midwife present warned me that I would get the same chat from the area Supervisor when she comes to do a home visit. Gonna be fun coz my OH will be there then and he won't be bullied. They also like to stress how much extra work it creates for them coz 2 mws will have to attend me - face bovvered:shrug:

:flower: Oh, and hello - I'm new to this forum

Oh you selfish person, wanting a relaxed and comfortable birth! How dare you! :haha: xxx

Hello! God that's annoying. I must have been really lucky as not even spoken to anyone about my plans except my midwife, who's v supportive. Sounds like you're going to stick to your guns and are both determined but I hate the way people are pressured into medicalised births, despite the fact that the evidence shows home births usually run much more smoothly, plus think of all those drugs and machines you'll be saving them! Grrrr! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy anyway - when are you due? x

I'm sorry!!! I hate this type of medical personnel that thing we are just dumb women because they went to some type of medical training. It's just out of their range of mind to think we know what we are talking about, that we are capable of doing research and making informed decisions and knowing that just because home births aren't the norm doesn't make them more risky necessarily.

I would totally sick your Oh on them!!!:haha: if my hubby found out I had been talked to like that and then those people came to my home he would be going off...they very highly likely would be threatened at the door LoL. I love it when our men stick up for us

Here it's totally different the local health authority are extremely supportive of homebirth, it's a shame there is such variation in our health system...

Hi ladies :wave:...hope you don't mind me popping in lol
I was adamant I wanted my first baby at home, I was 19, had been with my partner for 2
years and loved the idea of a calm, relaxed birth at home...no fuss.....
Que the meanest midwife ever..."well I think your daft, home births are dangerous and if that's what you decide I will not deliver your baby....I have done my share of night shifts"
She is one of the reasons I am studying midwifery.....I think there is a great need for midwives who support the mother not fight her!!!
I ended up changing my mind as oh got scared and its a good job as dd was a huge baby and I ended up having an emergency c-section....but sooo not the point lol xxx

Thanks for your replies girlies. Am 33wks today - due on 5th november. I will stick to my guns - I've got my birthing ball on the way, have ordered my birthing pool and will try and find a hypnobirthing CD to use to focus myself. I'm really excited about the birth and just hope all goes to plan so that we can stay away from the militants down the hospital.:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->