Very odd question, but can you start breastfeeding if you formula fed from day one?

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
Reason I ask is because I am absolutely gutted I didn't atleast try it this time around, DS is 13 days old, and I've been leaking milk up until around 2 or 3 days ago. Is it even possible to start breastfeeding now or is it entirely to late?

Its not late since your leaking . Do you have lactation services around you they might be able to help :)

I have absolutely no idea lol! I've never breastfed in my life so I know nothing! :haha: I do have my midwife coming any time now, maybe she can point me in the right direction, I thought it was too late, I am scared of baby losing weight because of me wanting to try and do it though but obviously I don't know what the process is all about either x

You could always try offering baby to latch on and see how things go. See what your midwife says. It's probably possible. Don't do all or nothing just yet until you have built a good supply up :)

I decided not to ask her in the end, I think I chickened out, as his feeding wasnt great today (until we tried other things as mentioned in my other thread) and I don't want to upset his feeding routine now just because I didn't breastfeed, I'm still gutted I didn't give it a go, but as long as hes fed I guess I'll have to get over it

I was the same HLx I regretted not even trying to bf, I was leaking so bad too and was so tempted to give it a go but I also chickened out because my little man feeds really frequently anyway and I didn’t want him to lose weight. It’s when my OH gets up in the night to help with the feeds I know I did the right thing because I’m soo tired lol

Baby wont lose weight if you try one feed. Yes you can still nurse. Moms who have NEVER been pregnant can take medicine to induce lactation and breastfeed.

Go to la leche league, its FREE help.

You could also try pumping and formula if you wanted the best of both worlds.

I was the same HLx I regretted not even trying to bf, I was leaking so bad too and was so tempted to give it a go but I also chickened out because my little man feeds really frequently anyway and I didn’t want him to lose weight. It’s when my OH gets up in the night to help with the feeds I know I did the right thing because I’m soo tired lol

I think I will always be filled with regret for not even trying it, with my older two I never breastfed and I was okay with it, this time because hes my last baby I feel like I wish I tried just to experience everything, but as long as he is fed and happy then I'll be happy, I'd love to hear of someone who did try this though! My OH sometimes do the 10pm feed and I do the 2am and 6am, which is fine because I'm up anyway at that time! He has done the 2am feed once or twice before for me and tbh it was a godsend to get some sleep :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->