Very traumatic birth :-(

Nat_BCFC

Reaction score
Hi all

My beautiful baby boy William was born on the 2/7/2011 weighing 6 lb 11 oz. It was an extreamly traumatic birth, feel a bit bad writing about it here in case I put anyone off, but I need to get it off my chest!

I went for my 41 week check on the Thursday and was told my blood pressure was raised. Was then sent up to be monitered for a few hours and it then went back down - I'm pretty sure this was because I was worried about having a 'sweep'. Later that afternoon a registrar came to see me and told me I was going to be induced. I was a bit shocked but thought okay, at least I'm going to meet bubba sooner rather than later! They gave me a dose of gel at 4pm, telling me they would give me the next in 6 hours. It started off some mild contractions but when 10pm came the night midwife told me that it 'wasnt procedure' to induce overnight....hm. We were later told the next day that it was because the delivery suite was full. So they left me having pains overnight. I had some pethidine which then slowed down the contractions until they stopped.

So Friday comes and me and my other half are waiting for someone to come and give me the next dose of gel. A midwife appears at 1pm and tells me they arnt going to give me any more gel, they're going to break my waters instead. I get taken round to the delivery suite at 4pm and they break my waters. Two hours later they decide I'm not progressing enough and put me on the drip to increase the contractions. This takes me from nothing to agonizing back labour within 15 minutes. I asked for gas and air but was told there was no point because I was waiting to have my epidural.

4am on the Saturday morning they tell me I'm fulling dilated and can start pushing. Two hours later at 6am I'm not progressing so they call in the consultant. She then proceeds to tell me that bubba is not in the right position to be born and she needs to manually turn him and delivery him ASAP. So I'm prepped for theatre being told that if they can't turn him and delivery him by forceps they'll have to give me a caesarian.

So we get into theatre, she manages to turn him and he is born within 2 pushes with forceps. Then the fun started. I started to haemorrage, had blood pouring out of me splashing on the theatre floor. My poor hubby has to witness all this, along with all the panic it was creating. I had 4 people pumping my womb trying to get it to contract, and calling for an emergency blood transfusion because they couldnt control the bleeding. I lost 4 litres in all. Hubby gets shoved out the room with bubba and is left in a boiling room for 2 hours thinking he wasnt going to see me again :cry:

(It gets worse!!!) I had my blood transfusion. Got through the first two packets of blood okay, then had a massive reaction to the third packed and stopped breathing. I was fulling consious throughout and remember every little detail. They then attempt to do it again and of course the same thing happens!! Fortunately they had managed to control the bleeding by this point so they didn't attempt to keep doing it. I was later told that the first two packets were my blood type and the second two that I had the reaction to were the 'universal' blood type that can be given to anyone if that makes sense?

I spent 24 hours in intensive care and didn't get to hold my son until the next day. Needless to say it's left me very traumatised and having nightmares and flashbacks. I was told about a 'listening service' by lots of midwives but after 3 left messages nobody has had the decency to even call me back.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest! It helps just to write down what happened. It was the best and worst day of my life. Best because I have the most gorgeous baby boy who is thriving and the very image of his daddy :).

Gosh- I'm sorry you had such a time. I can't believe you haven't had any after care from the midwives. I hope the nightmares end soon :-(
But well done for getting through it and congratulations on the birth of your son!! Hopefully time will be a healer and you and your new family can move on and enjoy your lovely baby x x x

That should say- I'm sorry you had such a tough time!

Congrats though regardless how he got here, you have your baby hun x

Congratulations on your son :hugs: sorry you had such a rough time!! Hope you feel better soon :hugs: x

oh gosh, you really went through the mill, quite scary what you went through! so glad your better now, and home safe with your little guy. xx

Poor you! You know there should be a counselling service at your hospital for traumatic births. I would also contact the supervisor of midwives & complain!!!

You poor, poor thing. I am so sorry you had this experience, you must feel awful. My only advice is to talk about it with friends and family, don't bottle it up. The memories WILL fade, but that is of no consolation to you now. Well done for getting through it and all the best for the future.

wow what a birth! congrats on your son. i'm so sorry you had such a scary experience. i would persiver (sp) with the listen service if you feel it will help. my birth didn't go to plan (nothing compared to yours) and it took me a long time to come to terms with it. over time its faded and i'm at peace with my experience. however, if you feel its not getting better then please get help. there are websites that support women who have been through experiences similar to yours and i could help to get in contact. xxxxxx

My goodness! Firstly congratulations on your son :D I really hope the memories fade of your trauma, that really is a terrifying ordeal, your poor hubby must be still reeling too.

Oh this sounds so horrendous. You must must must get some counselling for this otherwise it will always haunt you. Get them to sign you up for debrief and counselling.

Oh gosh that's awful awful awful. You're so so brave! I think you should talk to a counsellor at least and ask for therapy because it's very much needed! Congratulations on your son ^^

Thankyou all for your kind words :). The midwives offer a counselling service but after my fourth message left in 2 weeks for someone to contact me I still havn't heard anything. Me and hubby and now going down the road of making a formal complaint so I'm hoping we will get somewhere soon. Happier today too because William managed to sleep 5 hours in a row last night for the first time hehe!! xxx

wow congrats you done great btw universal blood type is o but if you have a certain kind not quite sure what o doesnt work doctors shouldnt have gave it to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->